Options

March 3rd 2003, Tokyio, Japan

Alive_268Alive_268 Posts: 213
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Am i the only one who thinks the band wasn't with the energy they always have?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    If i recall correctly.... the crowd wasnt exactly bursting with energy either ;)
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • Options
    ReleaseMe...ReleaseMe... Posts: 494
    recently listened to it driving to boston from Ny....one of the worst ever, had to stop playing it. i found it in the bottom of my buddies closet. maybe thats why it was there

they had to have just been drained out, and it seems like most of the crowd doesnt even know what they are listening to
    Mansfield II: # 23, since '03

routine was the theme..

there aint gonna be any middle any more
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    They're not big in Japan.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    finnannie wrote:
    If i recall correctly.... the crowd wasnt exactly bursting with energy either ;)

Audiences in Japan are usually quiet during concerts to show respect to the artist(s) performing.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,302
    NeilJam wrote:
    Audiences in Japan are usually quiet during concerts to show respect to the artist(s) performing.

and those shows were all in small venues too...

i personally love the entire run of japanese shows from '03! the setlists were all sick, and the band was on fire
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    UncleNeilUncleNeil Posts: 120
    NeilJam wrote:

This is true. There is a great Neil Young bootleg from 3/3/76 in Japan where the crowd doesn't make a noise - except when Neil introduces 'Heart of Gold' as 'Burger of Gold' because a McDonalds had just opened or something along those lines.
    Bridge Benefit 99, 01, 03, 04 (EV), 06
    Las Vegas 03, 06, MSG I & II - 2008
    Halloween Philadelphia, MSG II 2010
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    yah the japanese are too polite and honourable and quiet...
    everything that i would be had i not had that canadianness mixed in :D

i'd love to go to the motherland though to see a show... i'd love to do an asian tour.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    They do that during the wrestling shows as well. So quite but yet they go crazy during baseball games. Weird folks over there.
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    They do that during the wrestling shows as well. So quite but yet they go crazy during baseball games. Weird folks over there.
    you need to give the crowd those big inflatable tube things that they hit together and go 'nippon!' like they do at the world cup :)

might go well to the clap in save you even!
  • Options
    NeilJam wrote:

You are absolutely right. I remember reading that when U2 performed there during the Zoo TV Tour the entire crowd remained seated for most of the show.
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    you need to give the crowd those big inflatable tube things that they hit together and go 'nippon!' like they do at the world cup :)

might go well to the clap in save you even!

Thunder Sticks

http://www.buypromoitems.com/images/thunder_sticks.gif
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    yah the japanese are too polite and honourable and quiet...
    exxxactly. its good that they show respect but......
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    i love this show cant believe anything neegative came from this one
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • Options
    Wilds wrote:
    oh thank goodness theres directions! :D
  • Options
    NewJPage wrote:
    and those shows were all in small venues too...

i personally love the entire run of japanese shows from '03! the setlists were all sick, and the band was on fire

the band was not on fire, listen to osaka, they sound like absolute shit. great setlist but the performance is horrible.
    NO TIME TO BE VOID OR SAVE UP ON LIFE, YOU GOT TO SPEND IT ALL!!!!!!!
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Pearl Jam read Tokyo the 'Riot Act'

Dave Hilson / Daily Yomiuri Staff Writer

Grunge survivors Pearl Jam rolled into Tokyo on Monday night for the first time in eight years and not even the venue lights being unceremoniously turned on during the second encore could dampen spirits or the band's antiwar message.

Frontman Eddie Vedder and his troops delivered a powerful two-hour, 20-minute set that included plenty of antiwar statements, and toward the end of the show Budokan management tried to make a statement of their own by turning on all the lights in the cavernous hall. Unlike the boisterous audience, management apparently felt that the show had gone on long enough and switched on the lights just after Pearl Jam's cover of "Last Kiss" finished.

After responding to the interruption by jokingly saying "good night" to everyone and pretending to take off their guitars, the group ignored the glaring lights and broke into an inspired rendition of "Yellow Ledbetter" and then finished things off with an energetic rendition of their classic "Alive," which had everybody in the audience waving their arms and singing along to.

Pearl Jam, the last big-name group to have come out of the Seattle-based grunge movement of the early '90s, have always been known for their antiestablishment, anti-price-gouging stance, and while the tickets for this show--at between 6,500 yen and 7,500 yen a pop--were not exactly cheap, none of the 8,000 fans on hand to witness the band's return could complain that they didn't get their money's worth.

The group ripped through 31 songs--both new and old--with a youthful energy that managed to hide the fact that the quintet are now seasoned veterans. Vedder's voice was as powerful as ever, making it easy to forget that he works with two very accomplished guitarists--Mike McCready (lead) and Stone Gossard.

Former Soundgarden drummer Matt Cameron, who is in Japan with the group for the first time, and bassist Jeff Ament rounded out the lineup.

While talk was limited mostly to Vedder stumbling through some obligatory Japanese, the group managed to get in several strong antiwar statements during the marathon concert. Midway through the opening set Vedder transformed "Daughter" into an anitwar anthem and started to sing "war, what is it good for?" The crowd responded to his lead by chanting "no war, no war."

Following on the heels of the 18-song opening set, Pearl Jam began the first encore with a couple of antiwar songs, "Bushleaguer" and "Know Your Rights."

"Bushleaguer" was an obvious poke at U.S. President George W. Bush, and Vedder came out on stage wearing a rubber mask in the likeness of the president and a silver lounge coat. He was puffing on a cigarette and sucking defiantly on a red bottle of wine--which he hung on to for the remainder of the evening. Eventually, Vedder took the mask off, gave it a big kiss and kicked it around the stage a bit--all to cheers from the audience.

"Know Your Rights" is a song by English punkers the Clash, and while Vedder had good intentions, the band didn't do a very accomplished rendition of it. But this was the only blemish in what was otherwise a stellar show.

Pearl Jam are currently on a world tour that kicked off in Brisbane, Australia, in early February. The show at Budokan was the 13th on the tour, which is in support of last year's album Riot Act.

The group played seven songs off the new 15-track album, with "Love Boat Captain," "Bushleaguer" and the Top 10 single "I Am Mine" being the standouts.

Other highlights on the night were the classic Pearl Jam numbers: "Not For You," "Better Man," "Corduroy" and "Do The Evolution."

Pearl Jam will perform their final show in Japan today at Nagoya Civic Assembly Hall in Nagoya.(03) 3402-5999
  • Options
    mramonemramone Posts: 168
    SENROCK! wrote:

I was thinking the same thing..... :)
    "Hey Ho ... Let´s Go "
  • Options
    ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    does anyone have this show? Im missing disc 2
  • Options
    ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    in that article is it me or are they wrong about the lights being turned on from "mgt"? PJ always turns the lights on for YL
  • Options
    Wilds wrote:
    Pearl Jam read Tokyo the 'Riot Act'

Dave Hilson / Daily Yomiuri Staff Writer

Grunge survivors Pearl Jam rolled into Tokyo on Monday night for the first time in eight years and not even the venue lights being unceremoniously turned on during the second encore could dampen spirits or the band's antiwar message.

Frontman Eddie Vedder and his troops delivered a powerful two-hour, 20-minute set that included plenty of antiwar statements, and toward the end of the show Budokan management tried to make a statement of their own by turning on all the lights in the cavernous hall. Unlike the boisterous audience, management apparently felt that the show had gone on long enough and switched on the lights just after Pearl Jam's cover of "Last Kiss" finished.

After responding to the interruption by jokingly saying "good night" to everyone and pretending to take off their guitars, the group ignored the glaring lights and broke into an inspired rendition of "Yellow Ledbetter" and then finished things off with an energetic rendition of their classic "Alive," which had everybody in the audience waving their arms and singing along to.

Pearl Jam, the last big-name group to have come out of the Seattle-based grunge movement of the early '90s, have always been known for their antiestablishment, anti-price-gouging stance, and while the tickets for this show--at between 6,500 yen and 7,500 yen a pop--were not exactly cheap, none of the 8,000 fans on hand to witness the band's return could complain that they didn't get their money's worth.

The group ripped through 31 songs--both new and old--with a youthful energy that managed to hide the fact that the quintet are now seasoned veterans. Vedder's voice was as powerful as ever, making it easy to forget that he works with two very accomplished guitarists--Mike McCready (lead) and Stone Gossard.

Former Soundgarden drummer Matt Cameron, who is in Japan with the group for the first time, and bassist Jeff Ament rounded out the lineup.

While talk was limited mostly to Vedder stumbling through some obligatory Japanese, the group managed to get in several strong antiwar statements during the marathon concert. Midway through the opening set Vedder transformed "Daughter" into an anitwar anthem and started to sing "war, what is it good for?" The crowd responded to his lead by chanting "no war, no war."

Following on the heels of the 18-song opening set, Pearl Jam began the first encore with a couple of antiwar songs, "Bushleaguer" and "Know Your Rights."

"Bushleaguer" was an obvious poke at U.S. President George W. Bush, and Vedder came out on stage wearing a rubber mask in the likeness of the president and a silver lounge coat. He was puffing on a cigarette and sucking defiantly on a red bottle of wine--which he hung on to for the remainder of the evening. Eventually, Vedder took the mask off, gave it a big kiss and kicked it around the stage a bit--all to cheers from the audience.

"Know Your Rights" is a song by English punkers the Clash, and while Vedder had good intentions, the band didn't do a very accomplished rendition of it. But this was the only blemish in what was otherwise a stellar show.

Pearl Jam are currently on a world tour that kicked off in Brisbane, Australia, in early February. The show at Budokan was the 13th on the tour, which is in support of last year's album Riot Act.

The group played seven songs off the new 15-track album, with "Love Boat Captain," "Bushleaguer" and the Top 10 single "I Am Mine" being the standouts.

Other highlights on the night were the classic Pearl Jam numbers: "Not For You," "Better Man," "Corduroy" and "Do The Evolution."

Pearl Jam will perform their final show in Japan today at Nagoya Civic Assembly Hall in Nagoya.(03) 3402-5999
    That was a great article, thanks for sharing. good read!
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    SENROCK! wrote:
    But what? It's a cultural practice that they have come to adopt. It's just different to what people expect here. It's a different country with a different history. Of course they'd do things differently, with things like behaviour.

Budokan isn't particularly small at 14000.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    Hinny wrote:
    But what? It's a cultural practice that they have come to adopt. It's just different to what people expect here. It's a different country with a different history. Of course they'd do things differently, with things like behaviour.

Budokan isn't particularly small at 14000.
    forgive her, SEN just wants to ROCK!
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    LongRd. wrote:
    forgive her, SEN just wants to ROCK!
    The locals' mellowness didn't exactly stop us outsider gaijins from rocking out at those shows, the way we're used to in our own countries :)
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    Hinny wrote:
    The locals' mellowness didn't exactly stop us outsider gaijins from rocking out at those shows, the way we're used to in our own countries :)
    at least im a halfer and wont blend in, unlike you...
    HA, you'd be plain old inexcusable!
  • Options
    wow, freaky. I was just thumbing thru the collection, looking for a good show. I thought about digging deep into Japan 2003, all 5 shows, because the crowd is so quiet, it woud be almost like listening to 10 studio CD's. i don't think it's that they weren't into them. they probably thought it would be rude to make noise while the band is playing
  • Options
    Ghost Of K.Ghost Of K. Posts: 170
    NeilJam wrote:
    Probably a good thing. Nothing wrong with that show. Band sounds slow but they sound great, too.
    Good evening San Diego, I'm Ron Burgundy
    And I'm Veronica Corningstone, Tits McGee is off tonight...