Options

MUST READ - Article describing "Pearl Jam Experience"

ekeel33ekeel33 Posts: 12
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Check out the following article. Desribes what its like to attend a Pearl Jam show perfectly. A must read!

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_272621363.shtml
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    ekeel33 wrote:
    Check out the following article. Desribes what its like to attend a Pearl Jam show perfectly. A must read!

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_272621363.shtml

great article, thanks for posting it
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    There was a lot of feedback about this article on this thread....

We should keep it on the first page :)

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=292538
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 469
    thats is great !! but we don't want to many to know our secrets

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    ekeel33ekeel33 Posts: 12
    I wasn't sure if it had already been posted. I read it at work and thought it was worthy of possibly being re-posted. Definitely agree it should remain on main page. Great article.
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    Eddie’s screaming of LOVE at the very end of their cover of “Love Reign O’er me” literally made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end for a good long while. He was somehow able to convey in that ONE word about 10 different emotions, including, but not limited to, love, passion, desperation, sadness, desire, hurt, loneliness, innocence, anger, pain. You know that feeling?

Perfectly described.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    Amazing article, :)
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    I love the fact that it is written by a woman.... conveys feelings over sounds..... (sorry guys, we are just better at that type of stuff).

Does she have an email address?
    I would like to invite her to sit withme at Ed's solo show if I'm lucky enough to get tickets....

us 30 something female fans need to stick together!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    I love the fact that it is written by a woman.... conveys feelings over sounds..... (sorry guys, we are just better at that type of stuff).

I would like to invite her to sit withme at Ed's solo show if I'm lucky enough to get tickets....

check your pm's :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    Inhiding230Inhiding230 Posts: 362
    This article bought tears to my eyes because it is written sooo well and it truly describes every thought and feeling I had while seeing PJ. It is really not just a show, it is an experience. I am also an older Mom, so I totally relate in many ways :P
  • Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570
    "One thing that sets PJ apart from many of its contemporaries is that they truly do mix up the set list. Making it so much more interesting for the, uh, psycho fan who might be going to more than one show."

She needs to learn that she is far from alone in being just a "psycho fan" haha.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514

and us 40 something female fans!
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Inhiding230Inhiding230 Posts: 362
    yahamita wrote:

Yes indeed :) I am 41, and have been listening to PJ since I was pregnant with my now 16 year old daughter......
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    Awesome article. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    seren327 wrote:
    Yes indeed :) I am 41, and have been listening to PJ since I was pregnant with my now 16 year old daughter......
    and my 16 year old son as well! I took him to his first show in Vegas 06 then off to San Diego.It was his first experience helping out with the CCFA preparty as well. He was our auctioneer!
    A really kind young lady handed over her newly purchased brown hoodie to him, She couldn't believe he knew EVERY song...how could he not, he's been brainwashed since birth! hahaha

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/WishlistFoundation/2006-07-06%20Las%20Vegas%20CCFA%20Pre-Party/LISAANDSONDYLAN.jpg

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/WishlistFoundation/2006-07-06%20Las%20Vegas%20CCFA%20Pre-Party/?action=view&current=DSC02662.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/WishlistFoundation/2006-07-06%20Las%20Vegas%20CCFA%20Pre-Party/ANDTHEWINNERIS.jpg
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Yes! Girl Pearl Jams fans in our 30's. Love this article. Love this band. I wanna sit with you too. :)
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    I stopped in the second paragraph when she used the term "whatev" Sorry, I jump ship at ignorant English.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    yahamita wrote:

yes! you beat me to it!

what a great read, thanks to whoever posted it!
  • Options
    PJ_PhilPJ_Phil Posts: 84
    Great article, probably the best description I've ever read for someone who's never experienced a Pearl Jam show before.

Phil
    Shows:

Montreal 2003
    Boston (1&2) 2004
    Montreal 2005
    Ottawa 2005
    Halifax 2005
    Boston (1&2) 2006
    Hartford 2008
    Mansfield (1&2)2008
  • Options
    ChadsStillAliveChadsStillAlive Indianapolis Posts: 450
    smithnic wrote:
    I stopped in the second paragraph when she used the term "whatev" Sorry, I jump ship at ignorant English.

That's too bad. As a college graduate with a Bachelor's in English (w/ a Concentration in Writing), I am here to tell you it might be a good idea to lighten up about a columnist using slang in an article dealing with rock music. Rock, after all, was founded upon and has always been about rebelling against the establishment. It is raw and it is fun. So, like I said, lighten up.

This was an incredible article. I got teary-eyed and felt a wave of emotions throughout it, but especially at the end. Thanks for posting it. It is yet another piece of information I can use to attempt to lure my non-believing friends into the "Pearl Jam Experience."

Whatev
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side.
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    Their music is as good as Their shows. Or maybe inversely:)
    Lucky people in USA. U can be so often on Their concerts, so many times increasing concentration of serotonin in blood.
    How many bars ofchocolate should I take instead of one PJ show?
    How many kgs would I rise of chocolate and how many would I lose on concert?
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    That's too bad. As a college graduate with a Bachelor's in English (w/ a Concentration in Writing), I am here to tell you it might be a good idea to lighten up about a columnist using slang in an article dealing with rock music. Rock, after all, was founded upon and has always been about rebelling against the establishment. It is raw and it is fun. So, like I said, lighten up.

This was an incredible article. I got teary-eyed and felt a wave of emotions throughout it, but especially at the end. Thanks for posting it. It is yet another piece of information I can use to attempt to lure my non-believing friends into the "Pearl Jam Experience."

Whatev

You're throwing your English major at me? Whatev degree granting institution made you so high and mighty about your English degree?

Rebelling is not about using pop culture words that just make you sound ignorant or a drunk contestant on the Real World. Using terms like "whatev" are not raw they are cheap and ignorant. Keep using words like that and you'll end up with the other 95% of English majors... flipping burgers.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551

Ask her what she thinks about white pants if you e-mail her.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    share wrote:
    Ask her what she thinks about white pants if you e-mail her.
    Oh I am!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    i_am_minei_am_mine Posts: 53
    thanks for posting this. it was a really great article. right on!
  • Options
    ChadsStillAliveChadsStillAlive Indianapolis Posts: 450
    smithnic wrote:
    You're throwing your English major at me? Whatev degree granting institution made you so high and mighty about your English degree?

Rebelling is not about using pop culture words that just make you sound ignorant or a drunk contestant on the Real World. Using terms like "whatev" are not raw they are cheap and ignorant. Keep using words like that and you'll end up with the other 95% of English majors... flipping burgers.

Haha, I wasn't "throwing" my English major at you, buddy. I really encourage you to lighten up, man. You come across as being very defensive and uptight. Relax. We're just here reading about ideas and different folks' experiences with music. I wasn't trying to be "high and mighty," just merely saying that I have a tendency to become annoyed by incorrect grammar, but that since this was an article about a pop culture subject, I didn't blame Miss Schwarz for using pop culture slang. That's all.

P.S. - Got any good job ideas for my burger-flippin' ass?
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side.
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,647

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    smithnic wrote:

That stick up your ass is starting to smell. You might want to change it out for a fresh one. ;)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Smellyman2Smellyman2 Posts: 689
    smithnic wrote:

Not really ignorant when she knew what she was doing.

Must be tough for you living in Brooklyn. You must have to cut people of mid sentence...."not listening to you and your ignorant English".
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Sent her an email to thank her. Now she should get touring and write about the touring fan experience between shows!
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    14RAY5514RAY55 Mami Posts: 109
    Great,great article! She really hit the PJ Live Experience nail on the head.
    Still Alive And Well In Miami
    4-23-92 Miami,8-22-92 Miami,3-28-94 Miami,10-07-96 Ft.Laud.,9-22-98 WPB,9-23-98 WPB,8-9-00 WPB,8-10-00 WPB,4-11-03 WPB,7-16-06 S.F.,7-18-06 S.F.,7-22-06 Gorge,6-11-08 WPB,6-12-08 Tampa,10-23-10 Moun.View,10-24-10 Moun.View