Options

Will you pass PJ onto your kids?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited July 2008 in The Porch
It seems like alot of our parents (hippies) gave or allowed us and our generation access to their old Dylan, hendrix, Zep, Beatles records, and that music, and for good reason.

Will our generation be doing that with grunge and Pearl Jam and Nirvana and all that?

Like when your kid turns 13 will you hand them Nevermind, Are you Experience, Zoso but also Vitalogy and Avocado?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    I will hand them No Code
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    It seems like alot of our parents (hippies) gave or allowed us and our generation access to their old Dylan, hendrix, Zep, Beatles records, and that music, and for good reason.

Will our generation be doing that with grunge and Pearl Jam and Nirvana and all that?

Like when your kid turns 13 will you hand them Nevermind, Are you Experience, Zoso but also Vitalogy and Avocado?
    most of my kids were listening to in utero whilst in utero :D
    so yes, my children are being exposed to the music i love
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739

5+ new threads in 10 minutes

busy?
  • Options
    alexersalexers Posts: 492
    I'll do what my mom and dad did. Instead of listening to baby music, they listened to their usual music. I turned out okay!
  • Options
    Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    Yes, thanks to Guitar Hero 3, my 4 year old nephew knows and sings the lyrics to Even Flow. Its kinda hard to give him stuff to listen to right now, so i usually just play random music (PJ or other) and see if he chooses amything.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    already have..my 4 year old son and my 2 year old daughter sing along to the songs..they have no choice but to love them :)
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,261
    For my younger son's eighth birthday last year, I gave him: "Who's Next," "Let It Bleed," "Sgt. Pepper," "Revolver" (he's a big Beatles fan) and Jimi Hendrix.

This year, I got him a Beethoven box set. :-) He liked both gifts.

Next year, I think I will need to give him his own set of PJ CDs; he wants to borrow mine, and I do not want them to be destroyed in the Bionicle minefield that is my son's room. This is one PJ fan who was absolutely thrilled to death to hear "Black" and "Betterman" played back to back at Mansfield 1, and he was pounding on the seats with the rest of us during "Betterman."

We had a stand-off this morning over violin practice and learning to read music. The violin was his idea. I told him that if he stuck with the violin and showed a good effort, I would be happy to let him branch out into another instrument.

"Yeah, right!" he growled. "Like you would buy me a drum kit!" I told him I would be happy to buy him a freaking huge drum kit, but he needed to show better attitude and effort. He picked up his violin and learned a new song on the spot. :-)

So, yes, I will and I already have.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Well, as I met the love of my life through PJ, I'd say it's a safe bet to say 'yes' ;)

I'd say we'd probably hand them Binaural or Vitalogy :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    NewmanUSPSNewmanUSPS Posts: 242
    My son is almost 4 and has been listening to Pearl Jam since day 1. His favorite is Severed Hand. But it would would be a toss up between that one and All My Life by the Foo. Also, I took him to see the Foo in Orlando earlier...loved it.
    Most people with low self-esteem have earned it.
  • Options
    billyruffbillyruff Posts: 534
    You have to, the band is timeless...My Kids sing along when ever we play Pearl Jam,Neil young .
    Its not typical radio junk like nicklebunk .my 2 yr old cries 'NO "whenever that garbage comes on ...
  • Options
    I got married when my wifes kids were 7 +9
    the boys 1st show was Metallica, 2nd Pearl Jam, 3rd White Stripes at Roseland, Beastie Boys

the girls 1st few shows: Ben harper, Ministry, Pearl Jam and Bruce Springsteen
    all of the above shows were before ether kid was 11!!!

she still at 17 listens to the garbage her friends listen to, but likes "my music as well"

he has been "poisoned" by guitar hero, but went to both Mansfield shows with me, and Stone Temple Pilots.
    Favorite two bands for him: Hendrix, and PJ

I will be starting some *** here but neither (and because of me) have ever gotten into Nirvana. Good band, did not deserve anywhere near 1/2 the hype they got.
    At the time Soundgarden, Alice, PJ, TAD (remember TAD), etc were making far far far better music.

Mahalo
  • Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    without a doubt! =)
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    May I also add, my kid is getting a ten club number out of the womb!!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    svenstephysvenstephy Posts: 182
    Foxy Mop wrote:
    she's yours????

she is SO cute. that's awesome! i hope pj is still aroudn by the time i have kiddies :)
    it's funny when things change so much, it's all state of mind...
  • Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,813
    svenstephy wrote:
    she's yours????

she is SO cute. that's awesome! i hope pj is still aroudn by the time i have kiddies :)

She is.. I baked her up and everything ;)

Now she wants to go to EVERY show!
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    Foxy Mop wrote:
    She is.. I baked her up and everything ;)

Now she wants to go to EVERY show!
    you planning on bringing her to eV solo?
    Summer wants to go to one, let me know and we'll co-ordinate a play date eV solo-style :D
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    listening to pj just happened for my daughter. there was no intent on my part, she is exposed simply by being around me and just thinks that is the way it is. pj is good.
    the great thing is........she exposed me to music that i would have never picked up.

all the noggin music is good stuff....especially jack's big music show and moose a. moose
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Nothing so formal as all that, but the music I like is played at home and in the car, and they now help themselves to my stuff- I had to go make sure No Code found it way safely back to my CD rack the other night. They've both already seen Pearl Jam, one of them saw their first show when she was 8 (State College). They will each get a turn to see EV solo with me.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    Already passing it down. My 16 year old has been hearing PJ in the car for years, but didn't really get into them heavy until Avocado came out. We went to Bonnaroo this year and the PJ show was such an awesome bonding experience. I realized during "Life Wasted" that it was past midnight, therefore Father's Day and I couldn't think of a better place to be on this earth.

My 11 year old knows Evenflow because of Guitar Hero, but he hasn't gotten really into them yet. He's started off with Beatles, Hendrix, Ramones and Rush, I'm sure he'll discover more PJ as he gets older. I took him to see Rush for his first concert last week.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,912
    May I also add, my kid is getting a ten club number out of the womb!!

sweet! i'm gonna do the same too! :)

already know that when i have kids, the first born's room will be filled with pearl jam stuff. i got so much, more rooms the marrier. know when they grow up, the house will be a pearl jam base or something, just hope it's cool with my kids. if not, out the door they go. ha. j/k.

can't wait till the day i have kids. :)
  • Options
    pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    Both of my sons have been to Two Bridge School shows. My oldest went with me to LA-1. He also wears a PJ shirt to school. Plus I am taking him to VH1 rock honors this Saturday.
    Also another funny thing is both of the boys dig playing Boston songs on the "RockBand"...
    So I have all ready passed on the "older" jams to them...
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • Options
    Nope, too expensive to bring them to shows :-)
  • Options
    stew2310stew2310 Posts: 19
    My 4 year old has a dog he named Vedder. He is constantly singing one of the many PJ songs he knows (sometimes he makes up his own words though). He made me promise I would take him to see a PJ next time they tour. He's also a huge Springsteen fan
    8/27/00 Saratoga, 9/28/05 Pittsburgh w/ The Stones, 6/23/06 Pittsburgh, Lollapalooza 07

"You're throwing joints on stage! maybe I should insult you some more"-Ed in Pittsburgh '06

"George Bush find yourself another home"
  • Options
    bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
    My boys are both fans of Pearl Jam and 90's grunge in general.

When my youngest was in preschool we listened to Smile every day on the way to school just so Mumsie could sing the "I miss you already, I miss you always" part.

I am extremely proud of my oldest son’s musical ability. Mike is a huge influence on his style. The first time he called me down to surprise me by playing behind his head was just beyond words.
    He has even chosen Pearl Jam as topic for school reports and was appalled when kids in his class had not heard of them.

Now at 12 and 15 my husband and I have been blessed with the ability to take both boys to 2 EV solo shows and 2 Pearl Jam shows this summer.

For our family those were the best vacations we have ever taken.
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
  • Options
    sin4mesin4me Posts: 10
    My twin girls are eight. Sweet Lou and Dirty Frank are their faves. They would say PJ is their Favorite Band but I think the Dresden Dolls are. I love to hear them sing and it's funny when they omit the bad words. I teach them right. "Don't sing this one at school" My oldest daughter used to wear the 70's van t-shirt and I'm trying to get my hands on a skull logo onesie for my new baby boy. Maybe I'll trade someone for Chicago Day2 of the solo tour
    Things were different then
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    already have, we called our son Cameron Stone, now 3 year old.
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    smile05 wrote:
    already have, we called our son Cameron Stone, now 3 year old.

my girls 3 & 5 love Pearl Jam. My littlest sings "Pleeeease don't go on me!" and Big Wave is one of their favorites.

Also big fans of Radiohead & the Foo Fighters.

The concerts are going to get expensive in a few years (tickets x4)
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)