Options

Please Tell Me It Gets Better...

Army & NavyArmy & Navy Posts: 120
edited July 2008 in The Porch
So 3 boots in (Tampa, Bonorroo, Virginia) and its not only the sound problems that are disappointing me. The band is rusty beyond belief, their off time, missing licks and Eddie's slurring everywhere, I never heard him sound worse than Bonnorroo. I thought he'd be sounding good after his solo shows.

I've got Hartford, Camden 1, Mansfield 2 to come. I'm really hoping they pick it up.

Also the mastering on all those first 3 shows is horrible, guitars come in & out, too much bass.

Sorry to sound negative, but I gotta say how I see it
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    So 3 boots in (Tampa, Bonorroo, Virginia) and its not only the sound problems that are disappointing me. The band is rusty beyond belief, their off time, missing licks and Eddie's slurring everywhere, I never heard him sound worse than Bonnorroo. I thought he'd be sounding good after his solo shows.

I've got Hartford, Camden 1, Mansfield 2 to come. I'm really hoping they pick it up.

Also the mastering on all those first 3 shows is horrible, guitars come in & out, too much bass.

I thought they really hit there stride after BRoo...I didnt think the shows you mentioned were as you described them, but they def kick the shit out of the ones youhave on the way imho...
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Ummm it gets better?

My Mansfield boot is killer!

I think the Bonarroo boot is good too! It has a retro feel to it!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906

The tampa boot is sloppy. Iagree. Although I dont think the band has anything to do with the sloppy sound. I think its just the very poor mixing. Ed was knda sloppy on that boot, but I think bonnaroo and any show after should sound good. Atleast thats what they say. And I was at hartford, and Ed was NOT sloppy at all. He was drunk, extremely happy, but he sang his balls off.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    PJMEMamaPJMEMama Posts: 99
    I got the Hartford boots the day before yesterday. While I agree that the mixing could be criticized if you were so inclined, I absolutely LOVE these discs and am very happy to have them blasting out as I write!!! I can actually hear the words much better than at the show!
  • Options
    I thought they were sloppy as fuck through the whole tour. I was gonna put together a "tour best of" and I gave up after I had to eliminate so many good songs. Every show is loaded with mistakes.

And if you think Eddie is slurring words, you should listen to Camden 1. He's so fucking drunk, it's unbelievable.
  • Options
    kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    PJMEMama wrote:
    I got the Hartford boots the day before yesterday. While I agree that the mixing could be criticized if you were so inclined, I absolutely LOVE these discs and am very happy to have them blasting out as I write!!! I can actually hear the words much better than at the show!

I agree that I can hear the words better--it's like being there again, but actually hearing the songs and catching some Ed lines that I had missed!

I haven't heard any of the other boots, but I am getting a little tired of all of the bitching about them. What other band does this (and so much more)?!?

Take care,
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259

typical early tour rust. it wears off a few shows in.. like always.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    Smellyman2Smellyman2 Posts: 689
    They sounded great

they aren't robots
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,907
    PJMEMama wrote:
    Mine were sent on Monday and I still havent got them.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    i think the occasional mistake is more than made up by the insane energy they put out this tour. Eddie was a little too hammered some nights, but if thats what it takes to get him this fired up, i'm all for it.

i agree Tampa was kinda 'eh', but West Palm Beach is fantastic. i think it was pretty underrated.
  • Options
    walkthamilewalkthamile Posts: 349

Bonnaroo is an awesome show! You don't know what you are talking about! The sound on that disc is better than any other boot that I own, you can clearly hear all instruments, Matt's drumming is as clear as it has been and all of the other instruments are mixed in very well.

I just do not understand all of this negative talk about the boots???? If anything those 2000 boots were probobaly the lowest quality, I have a few from the Euro tour and the US tour and none of them sound anywhere near as good as the Bonnaroo boot.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,095
    Did someone try DC how did it sound?
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    I like the loud bass, it's a nice change to actually hear Jeff clearly.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    Hmmm .... went to msg ... have to say that was the tightest I had ever heard the band. Ever.

So, I'd say it gets better. Or your ears are full of crap, one or the other. ;)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    Eddie was a little too hammered some nights, but if thats what it takes to get him this fired up, i'm all for it.

I actually think the "ed hammered" thing is a bit overrated. Half the time he's drinking gatorade out of those wine bottles.

I think what people are attributing to ed "slurring words" (I have three boots and don't know what the hell some of these people are talking about) is just Ed being a 43-year-old man trying to sing songs he wrote when he was 25. He's out of breath.
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    I thought they were sloppy as fuck through the whole tour.

Really? You went to the whole tour? How nice ...
    I was gonna put together a "tour best of" and I gave up after I had to eliminate so many good songs. Every show is loaded with mistakes.

Play your albums then. No mistakes on those.
    And if you think Eddie is slurring words, you should listen to Camden 1. He's so fucking drunk, it's unbelievable.

I doubt it. But it's a fun thing to say!
  • Options
    Really? You went to the whole tour? How nice ...

No, I have all the bootlegs. I also know how the songs go better than the band seems to.
    Play your albums then. No mistakes on those.

Thanks for the suggestion, douche.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,749
    Jesus Christ. okay, these 2008 bootlegs aren't as good as previous tours. anyone who has any sort of ear for music can tell that. But the fact remains, if you want them for FREE, then you can have them for FREE. People who complain about the quality of the mixing and/or mastering and STILL continue buy a bunch of boots on a physical CD (i.e. JWBusher) are complete fools.

If you don't think the boots are good but still want your concert memento or want to hear a specific song from a show, these boots have been all over the 'net on blogs waiting to be downloaded for free for weeks now. If you don't want to go look for them, wait a few months until they're allowed in a download thread here on the message board. But don't act like you're being ripped off when you pay $16 for it if the quality isn't up to your standards...because you all know you don't have to pay for them.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    No, I have all the bootlegs. I also know how the songs go better than the band seems to.

Why did you buy all the bootlegs of a band you obviously hate?

Thanks for the suggestion, douche.

Hey, no problem. Always here to help.
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    OK, so, I don't give a fuck about what you say for Tampa and Virginia but for the ROO? Are you freakin high???

seriously ... that 'Roo boot has quickly become one of my favorites of all time ...
  • Options
    People who complain about the quality of the mixing and/or mastering and STILL continue buy a bunch of boots on a physical CD (i.e. JWBusher) are complete fools.

I'm not allowed to complain about something I bought? That makes a lot of sense. Get off your high horse. I never said I regretted buying them. I was just talking about how spotty the performances are. Am I not allowed to do that?
    Why did you buy all the bootlegs of a band you obviously hate?

Because I don't like the 2008 performances, that means that I "hate" Pearl Jam? Whatever, fanboy.
  • Options
    Wow. Another thread.

Search feature must be broken.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    All i can say is that the boots sound fine to me, the band sound as good as ever in my opinion and my god they were good shows (well the 4 i went to anyway) in 2008...
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    I think the two shows that stand out to me in this collection both in sound & in band intensity are MSG1 & Hartford. I was at MSG1 & 2 and I must say that I think MSG1 was the tightest I've ever seen the band. Just my 2 cents.
    Things were different then. All is different now.
    I tried to explain...

http://www.facebook.com/theendlessproof
  • Options
    I actually think the "ed hammered" thing is a bit overrated. Half the time he's drinking gatorade out of those wine bottles.

I think what people are attributing to ed "slurring words" (I have three boots and don't know what the hell some of these people are talking about) is just Ed being a 43-year-old man trying to sing songs he wrote when he was 25. He's out of breath.

either he's drunk or suffering from Alzeimer's. at WPB he forgot the lyrics to Alive. ALIVE!!! how is that possible? hehehe.

but whatever he could mumble through songs all day and i wouldnt care.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,565
    JWBusher wrote:
    I'm not allowed to complain about something I bought? That makes a lot of sense. Get off your high horse. I never said I regretted buying them. I was just talking about how spotty the performances are. Am I not allowed to do that?

Because I don't like the 2008 performances, that means that I "hate" Pearl Jam? Whatever, fanboy.

I think he means you hate Pearl Jam because you are about the only person who didn't like the 2008 performances. That should tell you something.

Who the fuck buys a Pearl Jam CD only to get pissed off? You had issues before you started listening to the shows.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,749
    JWBusher wrote:

yes you are allowed to complain. and my horse isn't high, he's drug free. but the thing is that you seem to be a rather knowledgeable audiophile, so I try to respect your criticisms of the bootlegs. but it's one thing to be a critic, it's another to be a fucking crybaby. Every thread about the 2008 bootlegs contains post(s) by you bitching and moaning like a little kid.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    SuzieMSuzieM Posts: 113
    Finally listening to my MSG1 boot... IT'S FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's alls I got.
  • Options
    SuzieM wrote:
    Finally listening to my MSG1 boot... IT'S FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's alls I got.
    This is the only boot that I've purchased so far and I have to agree with you......IT'S FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!
    I wish I were the verb "to trust" and never let you down
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:

I'm basing my opinion on more than just your responses in this thread.

I understand the "I'm-such-a-curmudegeon, I-hate-everything, I'm-cooler-than-everybody" thing is your message board schtick, and you think it makes you interesting, but it doesn't. It makes you Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons. And nobody likes that guy.

Did your mommy not hug you enough as a child or something?