Options

Please Tell Me It Gets Better...

2»

Comments

• Options
    prince119prince119 Posts: 104
    I didn't see any shows this time around.
    I have purchased the Roo boot.
    I have yet to receive said boot.
    Upon receiving said boot, I will make my own determination of how I like the sound quality.
    I will then decided to purchase more boots from this tour, or shelve the one I have bought like countless other CDs I own and listened to once.
    I will then continue to support the band I love in any way I can.

That being said........I am a little over the "I was at the show so it MUST sound good" argument.

I have been to a bunch of shows and a handful of them were not very good. Like someone else said, they are not robots.

Listen with unbiased ears! Being at the show is a hell of alot different than hearing it on CD.
  • Options
    The band is not PERFECT guys. That being said, we're allowed to complain about it.

Just because you criticize or critique the band, doesn't make you less of a fan. Those who usually can pick out the mistakes, are usually the one's who love them the most.

West Palm - most of the songs sucked and Ed WAS out of breath.

Bonnaroo- at first, had nothing else to compare to in 2008 (1st one received)- listened 3-4 times- it's ok

Camden- ROCKS!

Doesn't make someone a cry baby because they dislike a boot or the way that particular performance went. If we all liked the same music, life would be boring.
    I will hold the candle until it burns up my arm. I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired. I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind. I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.
  • Options
    ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    what are you guys talking about with the quality? I think they are the same as every other tour

This boardi s a bunch of complainers

Let me tell you guys something. The people that record these shows only get the way the PEAL JAMs sound man does the show. When you're a show all the parts go in and out. All these pople are doing is recording whats being put out

But I really have no idea what you guys are complaining about with the quality

AND USE THE SEARCH BUTTON. How many threads do we need of this?
  • Options
    ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    Doesn't make someone a cry baby because they dislike a boot or the way that particular performance went.

I disagree when there are 100s of threads like this. Everyone is making their own thread about the same thing. I think they sound fine. For the life of me I cant figure this one out, the 2000 boots are worse

I'm basing my opinion on more than just your responses in this thread.

I understand the "I'm-such-a-curmudegeon, I-hate-everything, I'm-cooler-than-everybody" thing is your message board schtick, and you think it makes you interesting, but it doesn't. It makes you Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons. And nobody likes that guy.

Did your mommy not hug you enough as a child or something?

best post eva

Jesus Christ. okay, these 2008 bootlegs aren't as good as previous tours. anyone who has any sort of ear for music can tell that. But the fact remains, if you want them for FREE, then you can have them for FREE. People who complain about the quality of the mixing and/or mastering and STILL continue buy a bunch of boots on a physical CD (i.e. JWBusher) are complete fools.

If you don't think the boots are good but still want your concert memento or want to hear a specific song from a show, these boots have been all over the 'net on blogs waiting to be downloaded for free for weeks now. If you don't want to go look for them, wait a few months until they're allowed in a download thread here on the message board. But don't act like you're being ripped off when you pay $16 for it if the quality isn't up to your standards...because you all know you don't have to pay for them.

+1
    Well said
  • Options
    How much crack would I have to smoke to think the 2000 boots don't sound good, or as good as the 2008 boots?
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,750
    ballgame wrote:
    the 2000 boots are worse

You have to be saying this just to get under JWBushleaguer's skin because you can't really mean it. Those 2000 boots were, I think, really a landmark in live concert recording. And those boots were mixed PERFECTLY for Pearl Jam's sound.

One noteworthy flaw in the 2000 boots is that the volume of the European leg is very low. Not that it was too difficult to simply turn the volume up. but the US leg of the 2000 tour is as close to perfect as it could be.

The 2000 bootlegs were mixed by Brett Eliason, master of all things live Pearl Jam. and he had a good amount of time to work on them. these 2008 boots were mixed days after each show by people who didn't know how to record/engineer a live PJ show.....and it shows.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Staceb10Staceb10 Posts: 675
    We are some of the whiniest bitchiest fans ever. I think the guys were really good on this tour and they rocked the who special on VH1..

Its like we expect 100% grade A Pearl Jam music 100% of the time. Do you do your job 100% of the time? They get tired just like we do. I think this tour has been fun for them and is getting them ready for some good shit with the new album.
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,131
    JWBusher wrote:
    I was gonna put together a "tour best of" and I gave up after I had to eliminate so many good songs. Every show is loaded with mistakes.

They play 25-30 songs per night, changing the setlist nightly. Of course there's going to be mistakes. Frankly, I like hearing the mistakes. It reminds me they are human.

The funny thing is that the 2005 Gorge show that so many people hold so dearly to their hearts probably holds the record for mistakes.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,131
    I like the loud bass, it's a nice change to actually hear Jeff clearly.

Agreed. This 2008 round of bootlegs has Jeff turned up....and it's about time.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • Options
    rival420rival420 Massachusetts Posts: 58
    So far I have listened to Hartford and Mansfield 1, and I think they sound pretty damn good. I have listened to a couple of the audience recordings out there, and these are well worth the $16 I paid!

I know in both Hartford and Mansfield 1, they did have quite a few instrument problems. So that may be reflected as the band being off? Ed did forget a few lines during Once in Mansfield 1 and during RITFW in Mansfield 2, and that could be because he was drunk. Overall I thought as a whole the band sounded better than they have in years, and I think these bootlegs sound really good.. So I can't figure out why there are so many complaints?
  • Options
    wookeezwookeez Posts: 17
    KDH12 wrote:
    Did someone try DC how did it sound?

DC sounds great, def worth buying! Other than evacuating "Evacuation" was a great show and the best rendition of "Black" PJ has ever played in my opinion. As the band rocked it out, Eddie walked around the back and sides of the stage dancing and smoking his cig, waving at all the people, was truly an amazing experience, crowd was really into it the entire show and Eddie got a little political as expected in DC. At one time said he doesn't know what they did to deserve this and doubted Michael Jordan got this great of a reception when he walked into this place. 8-)
    I am mine!
  • Options
    I wonder how other bands would sound if we could listen to everyone of their concerts and if we knew all of the lyrics at the level we do for Pearl Jam. I bet most bands mess up as much as Pearl Jam does.

That said, I seem to be a part of a minority that is concerned that Ed is drinking too much. It's not really any of my business, but I hope he has control of it.
  • Options
    So 3 boots in (Tampa, Bonorroo, Virginia) and its not only the sound problems that are disappointing me. The band is rusty beyond belief, their off time, missing licks and Eddie's slurring everywhere, I never heard him sound worse than Bonnorroo. I thought he'd be sounding good after his solo shows.

I've got Hartford, Camden 1, Mansfield 2 to come. I'm really hoping they pick it up.

Also the mastering on all those first 3 shows is horrible, guitars come in & out, too much bass.

Sorry to sound negative, but I gotta say how I see it
    I didn't read the earlier comments, but I feel safe in assuming you are in the minority on this one...big time. Your saying that there's something wrong....I believe that was your plan all along
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    There's not many touring bands out there right now that play the type of show that Pearl Jam does.

Bruce Sprinsteen is pretty much the only exception and is probably the only other touring artist that compares to Pearl Jam in the sense that they challenge themselves by playing 2 1/2 to 3 hour shows with a different setlist everynight.

It's an extremely challenging thing to accomplish and pull off and that is why many artists stay away from that type of tour.

If Pearl Jam played it safe like 99.9% of touring bands out there right now and had a standard setlist that they performed to everynight, the level of error would go down considerably.

The Who, Neil Young, Tom Petty, and Paul McCartney all play the same setlist everynight (or pretty close to it). Before a tour they only rehearse at the very most 40 songs. It's very rare for them to deviate from the setlist as they wouldn't dare pull out a song that is under-rehearsed.

Pearl Jam doesn't seem to have that fear...

They are constantly adding songs into the setlist that they probably haven't rehearsed, practiced, played, or even thought about in many years.

It's one of the many reasons why we are spoiled as fans.

It's also one of the reasons why certain songs don't seem as tight as others.
  • Options
    HailRoad24HailRoad24 Posts: 133
    I for one am not too put off by the sound of this years boots. WPB has its problems, but I like to think of it as an interesting audience-like recording. I don't have Tampa b/c the setlist didn't excite me, but I have Roo and Columbia as of right now.

Each tour has its own little things which are good and bad.

Here are my takes on each tour:

European/2000-Probably, next to 1998, the best I have ever heard the band play and sound. Ed was spot on. The boots, like somebody else said, were low in volume unfortunately, but the program was in its infancy.

US/2000-The band hits its stride at the Atlanta show and play their ass off the entire tour. Ed is strong throughout and the boots are nearly perfect except for Jeff and Matt being a little low in the mix.

Aus/Jap/US/20003-Great sound, the band is loose and mistakes are made. Ed is up and down somewhat in his performances, but delivers some remarkable shows. Overall a good show and some really cool guitar tones from the band.

Can/SA/2005-Band sounds good and Ed is good, but the MP3 quality is a bit of a downer. The first of the digital program which I grew to despise.

US/EU/Aus/2006-Some good shows, the band is very tight, but I have always enjoyed the looseness of their shows. Mistakes are gonna be made, but for some reason, this tour has never set right with me and I think Ed really started to decline on this tour until the EU dates. Whether it be lack of breath, or just not having that iron grip over his voice, Ed just seems all over the place to me. The boots sound pretty good, but I HATED (let me just say-FUCKING HATED) the digital download program. I did appreciate the FLACS, but I prefer the physical CD's to digital. Overall, like I said, very few of the shows moved me in the way that previous years shows had. Not sure why.

US/2008-Heard only three shows so far, but I have a growing opinion of them. PHYSICAL CD'S!!!!!! I enjoy a little different sound and mix to them. We are finally really hearing how good Matt and Jeff really are. Ed is still up and down, but from what I've read, gets stronger as the tour progresses. The fuzzy, crunchy guitar tones are music to my ears on these shows. And I LOVE Mike's tone on Love Reign O'er Me from Roo. That opening note by Mike sends chills through me.

So, I just think each tour offers the good and the bad of Pearl Jam live. They are not perfect people. Each tour has its glitches. They seemed to have a lot of guitar problems this tour, especially in Columbia. It's all part of the experience. Enjoy it while it lasts.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!