Options

Pick Cubs Opening Song - Kerry Wood Says Corduroy

jbalicki10jbalicki10 Posts: 517
edited July 2008 in The Porch
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/03/help-wood-pick.html

===============
Help Wood pick an entrance song
By Paul Sullivan, 10:27 a.m.

SCOTTSDALE- Now that Kerry Wood has been anointed as new Cubs closer-- following in the footsteps of Dave Smith, Mel Rojas, Rod Beck, Terry Adams, Rick Aguilera, Flash Gordon, Antonio Alfonseca, Joe Borowski, LaTroy Hawkins and Ryan Dempster-- the real guessing game begins.

What will be Wood’s entrance song?

“Enter Sandman?” “Welcome to the Jungle?” “Back in Black?”

Actually, those rock classics have become baseball clichés by now, and have already been taken by other closers anyways.

Wood was asked that question on Monday, and hinted that he has no plans on using an entrance song.

“I don’t think you can hear the music on our indoor-outdoor speakers,” he said with a grin.

Wood may not know this, but the Cubs improved their sound system when they renovated the bleachers a couple years ago. But when I asked the relievers about “entrance songs” last year, they complained that they couldn’t hear their songs because whoever is in charge of the sound system refused to turn the volume up.

Certainly Wood has a little more clout than, say, Will Ohman. So if he really wants an entrance song, he could probably get whatever he wants.

So what song should Wood enter with?

Knowing his friendship with Eddie Vedder, I’d say some Pearl Jam is definitely in order. Perhaps “Corduroy” or “Even Flow”?

Personally, I’d prefer “Rearviewmirror,” which has a great opening guitar lick and an emancipation theme that reflects the new chapter in Wood’s storied career.

But, as usual, we’ll leave it to you, the Hardball readers, to give Wood some suggestions for an appropriate entrance song.

==================
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jbalicki10jbalicki10 Posts: 517
    SOrry couldnt edit the title.... should say RVM
  • Options
    kerry wood is the biggest bust of the last 15 years in MLB.

Cubs suck
  • Options
    Wood should have a "Going on the DL" song. Maybe he can talk Marmol into using Animal
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    jbalicki10 wrote:
    http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/03/help-wood-pick.html

===============
    Help Wood pick an entrance song
    By Paul Sullivan, 10:27 a.m.

SCOTTSDALE- Now that Kerry Wood has been anointed as new Cubs closer-- following in the footsteps of Dave Smith, Mel Rojas, Rod Beck, Terry Adams, Rick Aguilera, Flash Gordon, Antonio Alfonseca, Joe Borowski, LaTroy Hawkins and Ryan Dempster-- the real guessing game begins.

What will be Wood’s entrance song?

“Enter Sandman?” “Welcome to the Jungle?” “Back in Black?”

Actually, those rock classics have become baseball clichés by now, and have already been taken by other closers anyways.

Wood was asked that question on Monday, and hinted that he has no plans on using an entrance song.

“I don’t think you can hear the music on our indoor-outdoor speakers,” he said with a grin.

Wood may not know this, but the Cubs improved their sound system when they renovated the bleachers a couple years ago. But when I asked the relievers about “entrance songs” last year, they complained that they couldn’t hear their songs because whoever is in charge of the sound system refused to turn the volume up.

Certainly Wood has a little more clout than, say, Will Ohman. So if he really wants an entrance song, he could probably get whatever he wants.

So what song should Wood enter with?

Knowing his friendship with Eddie Vedder, I’d say some Pearl Jam is definitely in order. Perhaps “Corduroy” or “Even Flow”?

Personally, I’d prefer “Rearviewmirror,” which has a great opening guitar lick and an emancipation theme that reflects the new chapter in Wood’s storied career.

But, as usual, we’ll leave it to you, the Hardball readers, to give Wood some suggestions for an appropriate entrance song.

==================

i love it... he is the closer on my fantasy team!
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,218
    my2hands wrote:
    i love it... he is the closer on my fantasy team!

SO YOUR FANTASY TEAM SUCKS? sorry had to.

he has to go with either Blood or Whipping

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    The appropriate song for him to enter to would be "Hurt" (J. Cash version). I agree with the earlier post, he is the biggest bust in the past 15 years (with the only possible exception being Mark Prior)
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    VMGACgVMGACg Posts: 135
    good post...dont hate on him he cant help the way his body responds to wear and tear.

HATE STEVE BARTMAN!!!!!

GO YANKS!
    I am questioning my education
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Love the Cubs to death...But "Bushleaguer" is probably more appropriate for Kerry Wood these days :(
  • Options
    58823005882300 Posts: 813
    4Powers20 wrote:
    SO YOUR FANTASY TEAM SUCKS? sorry had to.

he has to go with either Blood or Whipping

So so cruel all of you haters!!!!

That's okay because Ed will be there to sing about penis and crack the weekend of Aug 22nd!

GO CUBS OR GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    mookieb14mookieb14 Posts: 129
    Heres a request for "Gone", as in gone from the active roster and probably gone for the year. See ya at the Auditorium Kerry.
  • Options
    hiding103006hiding103006 Posts: 452
    Ashy Larry wrote:

Cubs suck
    this isn't even close to the truth. there have been #1 picks that haven't even MADE the majors.
    Camden 7-5-2003, Camden 7-6-2003, Hershey 7-12-2003, Camden 5-27-2006, Camden 5-28-2006, Lollapalooza 8-5-2007, Camden 6-19-2008, Camden 6-20-2008, New York 6-24-2008, New York 6-25-2008, Mansfield 6-28-2008, Mansfield 6-30-2008
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Ashy Larry wrote:

Cubs suck

Um ... I'd say Mark Prior was a much bigger bust than Kerry Wood ever could hope to be.

But thanks for playing.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    voodoopug wrote:
    The appropriate song for him to enter to would be "Hurt" (J. Cash version). I agree with the earlier post, he is the biggest bust in the past 15 years (with the only possible exception being Mark Prior)

If you think there haven't been much bigger busts than K-Wood ... you must not follow much baseball.

There are tons of first-round draft picks who have never even sniffed the majors.

But, again, thanks for playing.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    "Severed Arm" i mean "hand"
    "WE'RE UH, WE'RE GONNA DO THIS ONE WHICH IS UH, CERTAINLY NOT A USUAL ONE, AND THEN UH, JUST TAKE A FEW MORE MINUTES, THEN UH, AND THEN WE'RE GONNA DO OUR BEST TO KEEP TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS AWAKE FR..." (cheering at intro)...

--->H2I

(special moment)
  • Options
    Ashy Larry wrote:

Cubs suck
    I totally agree. Is there a song called "I'm a big baby with a blister on my finger so I have to go on the DL" That's what Wood needs to enter with.
    I wish I were the verb "to trust" and never let you down
  • Options
    hiding103006hiding103006 Posts: 452
    I totally agree. Is there a song called "I'm a big baby with a blister on my finger so I have to go on the DL" That's what Wood needs to enter with.
    a pitcher can't pitch with a blister on his hand. its crucial to his performance. i'm sorry you don't understand this.
    Camden 7-5-2003, Camden 7-6-2003, Hershey 7-12-2003, Camden 5-27-2006, Camden 5-28-2006, Lollapalooza 8-5-2007, Camden 6-19-2008, Camden 6-20-2008, New York 6-24-2008, New York 6-25-2008, Mansfield 6-28-2008, Mansfield 6-30-2008
  • Options
    a pitcher can't pitch with a blister on his hand. its crucial to his performance. i'm sorry you don't understand this.
    I totally know this. I've been a baseball fan much much longer than a PJ fan. I just dislike the cubs to the fullest extent. I'm hoping that Wood is out for a while so maybe my team can have a better chance!

So, don't be sorry I do understand!
    I wish I were the verb "to trust" and never let you down
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    Wow, soo much hate for Wood! I'm happy to see him in the closer role and being successful and "relatively" healthly at the same time. Seems to be the best way to utilize him now.
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    The Whipping.
    It's funny when things change so much
    It's all state of mind

Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff

You think you hate it now, wait till you drive it...

Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
  • Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,095
    BTW you all wood uses Guns n Roses for his entrance song
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    he should use save you.

i doubt "the waiting drove me mad" would go over well in wrigley.
  • Options
    DP13DP13 Posts: 269
    Help Help

Can't Keep

Release

Go

Dude looks like a lady

Cubs Suck

Your Mom Sucks