Options

I Met Mike Mccready Around the Corner from the Beacon yesterday

ogre1213ogre1213 Posts: 391
edited July 2008 in The Porch
So I park my car get out and start walking to the Beacon, I'm waiting to cross the street and I notice a guy that looks like Mike, I do a double take and say to myself.. there's no way
I turn around and its Mike! I say hey Mike, I'm a big fan, he says Thank You, I asked him if we got a good show tonight, he said ye were doing a sit down, and playing harvest moon, at this point my heart is racing a million miles a minute.
I say thank you, he says enjoy the show and we walk our separate ways.
I call up my buddy that I was meeting there and tell him I just met Mike, If you want to meet him come to 73rd and Amsterdam... He starts running and sees Mike and says whats up..I run towards them and I get on the phone with a girl that I was meeting there and say you want to talk to Mike Mccready? she says come on there's no way you're with Mike, I ask Mike to please just say hello to a friend, WHAT A NICE GUY! he grabs the phone and says Hi to her
She obviously doesn't believe its Mike, and says if this is really Mike then you are a god! He says Thanks I appreciate it. I then ask him to take a picture and he says sure... What a nice amazing guy!

Thank You Mike!!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d923b3127ccec4d08d0e08a400000040O08BYuXLhuybA9vPgw/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D480/ry%3D320/
Some die just to live
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    byrdbyrdbyrdbyrd Posts: 40
    mike is definitely way cool..I saw him as well...thanked him for the music over the years..shook his hand and said I'd see him at the show..my girlfriend shook his hand too..then she nearly passed out..she was flying high all night..
  • Options
    Just from reading the different stories around here, Mike definitely seems like the coolest, most approachable guy in the band.

Score one more for Mike McCready!
  • Options
    ItIsEvolutionBabyItIsEvolutionBaby Rogers, AR Posts: 397
    that's fantastic
    Oh please, let it rain today, this city's so filthy, like my mind in ways . . .
    Memphis, TN 08.15.00
    Oklahoma City, OK 04.03.03
    Little Rock, AR 06.10.03
    Bonner Springs, KS 06.12.03
    St. Louis, MO 10.05.04
    Chicago, IL 05.17.06
    New York, NY 06.24.08
    New York, NY 06.25.08
    Kansas City, MO 05.03.10
    East Troy, WI 09.03.11
    East Troy, WI 09.04.11
    Chicago, IL 07.19.13
    Dallas, TX 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK 11.16.13
    Tulsa, OK 10.08.14
    Memphis, TN 10.14.14
    Boston, MA 08.05.16
    Boston, MA 08.07.16
    Chicago, IL 08.20.16
    Chicago, IL 08.22.16
    Seattle, WA 08.08.18
    Seattle, WA 08.10.18
    Boston, MA 09.02.18
    Boston, MA 09.04.18
  • Options
    scpjfanscpjfan Posts: 131
    Just from reading the different stories around here, Mike definitely seems like the coolest, most approachable guy in the band.

You don't really hear about anybody meeting or talking to Stone or Jeff eh?
    Hail, hail the lucky ones, I refer to those in love.
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    Excellent!
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    scpjfan wrote:

I recall a stolen basketball incident regarding Jeff, but nothing ever about Stone. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a ninja in his spare time.
  • Options
    thebends9thebends9 Posts: 513
    Being one of the few that hung out until 1am last night, I have to say Mike is the coolest.

He was the only guy that stopped to say hello and sign our items.

Thanks Mike!!
    '98 - MSG 
    '00 - Jones Beach (x2)
    '03 - Nassau Coliseum/Tweeter Center/ MSG (x2)
    '04 - Reading, PA
    '05 - Wachovia Center
    '06 - Irving Plaza; Continental Airlines Arena (x2)
    '08 - MSG (x2); Beacon Theater
    '09 - Philly Spectrum (x2)
    '10 - XL Center; Prudential Center; MSG (x2)
    '11 - Alpine Valley (x2)
    '12 - Made In America
    '13 - Wrigley Field; DCU Center; Barclay Center (x2); Wells Fargo Center; XL Center
    '15 - Ed Sullivan Theater
    '16 - MSG (x2)
    '17 - Barclay Center (R&RHOF)
    '18 - Fenway Park
    '22 - MSG
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    scpjfan wrote:
    I met Jeff after 3 Fish show in Chicago... he was AWESOME! Really nice, took pictures, signed things, stayed and chatted for a long time.
    I met stone after a brad show, he was nice, but in a hurry...
    Mike is ALWAYS nice, what a guy... he's loving life, happy to be alive doing what he is doing... and he deserves everything!
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    You're the luckiest ogre ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:
    I met Jeff after 3 Fish show in Chicago... he was AWESOME! Really nice, took pictures, signed things, stayed and chatted for a long time.
    I met stone after a brad show, he was nice, but in a hurry...
    Mike is ALWAYS nice, what a guy... he's loving life, happy to be alive doing what he is doing... and he deserves everything!

Ha! They were just happy someone actually came out to see their respective bands.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    ogre1213 wrote:
    So I park my car get out and start walking to the Beacon, I'm waiting to cross the street and I notice a guy that looks like Mike, I do a double take and say to myself.. there's no way
    I turn around and its Mike! I say hey Mike, I'm a big fan, he says Thank You, I asked him if we got a good show tonight, he said ye were doing a sit down, and playing harvest moon, at this point my heart is racing a million miles a minute.
    I say thank you, he says enjoy the show and we walk our separate ways.
    I call up my buddy that I was meeting there and tell him I just met Mike, If you want to meet him come to 73rd and Amsterdam... He starts running and sees Mike and says whats up..I run towards them and I get on the phone with a girl that I was meeting there and say you want to talk to Mike Mccready? she says come on there's no way you're with Mike, I ask Mike to please just say hello to a friend, WHAT A NICE GUY! he grabs the phone and says Hi to her
    She obviously doesn't believe its Mike, and says if this is really Mike then you are a god! He says Thanks I appreciate it. I then ask him to take a picture and he says sure... What a nice amazing guy!

Thank You Mike!!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d923b3127ccec4d08d0e08a400000040O08BYuXLhuybA9vPgw/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D480/ry%3D320/
    sweet! what was he doing just walking around?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    ye just walking around, window shopping, he looked kinda lost

i shouldve asked if he needed help
    and i shouldve asked if they can play last soldier
    Some die just to live
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Stone, Jeff, and Matt are the hardest to run into. They never seem to be in public.

Mike is like the John Turturro character in the Adam Sandler movie Mr. Deeds, Bam! you look up and there he is!

http://www.2oceansvibe.com/images/turturro2.jpg
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    great story!
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    Panic821Panic821 Posts: 106
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    Stone, Jeff, and Matt are the hardest to run into. They never seem to be in public.

my friend once met Matt during the 06 tour in NYC. Matt came to dine in with his family in a resturant she was working at in south seaport. she said he was a really nice guy.
    my signature.
  • Options
    I have to agree on the opinions of Mike. I met him on Sunday in Boston on the Freedom Trail. He says he walks it every time he's in Boston 'cause he loves it so much.

The funniest part was, I think he could tell I was freaking out on the inside and he totally lead the conversation to help me calm back down....I was awe-struck. He was honestly just such a down to earth, easy going guy who was just stoked to be back in Boston.

All in all, I was super impressed!
  • Options
    stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    oh shit! hahah dude I saw you I was wearing the black hat with the same shirt as you but the 2008 verizon version 6'4 guy waiting outside for a ticket.
    VERY cool man...mikes the fuckin man..he was just loving the city obviously walking around... I just missed him my friends told me but its cool I had my time with mike a few days ago. Not to mention when I walked around the block I seen eddie pull in his black truck with Pete and his other bouncer, the hispanic looking guy.
    suprised no one didnt run into jeff at one of the parks in central park just skating around or at the museums
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Options
    At about 3:00 PM, my daughter and I were eating at the diner next door to the Beacon. After awhile, I realized I'd better go outside sure there would soon be a soundcheck. I walked up to a small crowd and asked about the soundcheck. I was told I had missed Ed by 2 minutes !!! He shook someone's hand, took a photo and said he was "tired". Awwww. About 30 minutes later, I turned around to say something to my daughter and Jeff was walking up behind her. He surprised the whole group of us. He didn't stop. Saw all of them after the show ( Ed said, "Thanks Guys!") because I waited outside from 9:30 on. Didn't have a ticket = ( Got a PJ bumper sticker from the little kid (chef's son) who sat onstage behind Matt at MSG 2.
    "Tweet"

"Chirp"
  • Options

seconded. all the threads about people meeting mike make him seem like such a legend. would love to meet any of the band... who knows... maybe next time they're in the uk...
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • Options
    seconded. all the threads about people meeting mike make him seem like such a legend. would love to meet any of the band... who knows... maybe next time they're in the uk...

mike is the man, best member of pj for sure
    Some die just to live
  • Options
    i_am_minei_am_mine Posts: 53
    thats a sweet story man. i love hearing stories about people meeting the band. cool pic too!
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    We ran into Jeff the day after Albany 06 at a deli. He's absolutely one of the nicest and easygoing people I've ever met; just great to meet. He stayed and talked to us for a good 10-15 minutes, signed an autograph, and even paid attention to my 3 year old daughter. That experience just makes me want to run into him again! :)
  • Options
    I think all of these stories are pretty cool. But can I throw a wrench into the thread and ask a question nobody wants to ask? Did it ever occur to anyone here that MAYBE these guys just want to be left the hell alone?
    "All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives"--Ed
  • Options
    StellaBlueStellaBlue Posts: 48
    What a great picture!!

<edit> and in answer (sort of) to your question -- it looks like Mike is totally enjoying the moment.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I think all of these stories are pretty cool. But can I throw a wrench into the thread and ask a question nobody wants to ask? Did it ever occur to anyone here that MAYBE these guys just want to be left the hell alone?

We thought of that. But when my husband approached Jeff shyly asking if he was a bassist, Jeff gave back a genuine smile and seemed happy that he noticed him. I'm sure sometimes they don't want to be bothered. For those times, they have every right to make it obvious that they don't want to be bothered.
  • Options

hey wrench, they dont have a choice, if i see any member of pj anywhere they are getting a hello from me, if they dont like it they can just say so, ill just be happy to meet them, for them to acknowledge me and say a couple of words to me even if it is sorry im really busy can you fuck off in a nice way, you would feel the same way, it just so happens that mike is an extremely nice guy and made my night, my week, my year
    Some die just to live