Options

Why have two streets in the same city!!? I hate you Boston.

over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
edited August 2008 in The Porch
I copy and pasted the address of the Opera House into Google Maps and got my directions. I drive to probably the most ghetto area of Boston and just drive up and down Washington St stunned and panicking that the Opera House isn't there and I got the directions wrong. I stopped off at a gas station and the nice man informed that it is DOWNTOWN Boston! Ahh!!

Luckily, I planned on getting to the show a bit early and this went down at 6:30ish, and so I still got to see Liam and all. But still, if I was running late this could have been horrific. Oh well...

But seriously, why have two streets inside of one city?
Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Oh no :( I saw that on google maps...had to type in the ZIP of the opera house to get the correct location.

In any case, welcome to Boston! We also expect you to just know which street you're on, as we refuse to post street signs at half of the intersections, please and thankyouverymuch. Enjoy your visit.

/midwest transplant, I'm lost right now actually!
  • Options
    We also expect you to just know which street you're on, as we refuse to post street signs at half of the intersections, please and thankyouverymuch. Enjoy your visit.

Ha! I definitely noticed this one too. For shame... I realized I was getting close to the legit Washington (atleast the one I wanted to be at) when I saw a bunch of president related street names. My heart jumped for joy.
    Yield!

• Options
    over_bends wrote:
    Ha! I definitely noticed this one too. For shame... I realized I was getting close to the legit Washington (atleast the one I wanted to be at) when I saw a bunch of president related street names. My heart jumped for joy.

I forgot to say, I am very glad you made it in time for everything you wanted to see :)
  • Options
    over_bends wrote:
    I copy and pasted the address of the Opera House into Google Maps and got my directions. I drive to probably the most ghetto area of Boston and just drive up and down Washington St stunned and panicking that the Opera House isn't there and I got the directions wrong. I stopped off at a gas station and the nice man informed that it is DOWNTOWN Boston! Ahh!!

Luckily, I planned on getting to the show a bit early and this went down at 6:30ish, and so I still got to see Liam and all. But still, if I was running late this could have been horrific. Oh well...

HAHAHA!!! shades of Chevy Chase in Vacation :D:D

dam!! i think you might have been in Roxbury!!

not good for an (I'm assuming) out of town white guy!
  • Options

Ya, 539 Washington on Google defaults to someplace in Dorchester/Mattapan/Roxbury. I didn't bother to click on the 'street view'; I was reasonably sure that was wrong...better than getting stuck in a traffic circle all day though!! :D
  • Options
    I forgot to say, I am very glad you made it in time for everything you wanted to see :)

Thank you. At the point where I saw 539 Wash St to be an medium-sized apartment complex I said to myself "boy this is an intimate show, but where are all the fans... or the opera house signs for that matter?" Then a guy with a baseball bat walked out. Eek!
    Yield!

• Options
    over_bends wrote:
    Thank you. At the point where I saw 539 Wash St to be an medium-sized apartment complex I said to myself "boy this is an intimate show, but where are all the fans... or the opera house signs for that matter?" Then a guy with a baseball bat walked out. Eek!

Oh noooooooo! That reminds me of the time I made a wrong turn onto Skid Row in downtown LA...oh well, you've got a good story! and no harm done :)
  • Options

Yea I guess it's good to laugh at in retrospect. I think it was Dorchester, as I saw a sign that said that and "city in Boston." So assumed it was just a neighborhood in Boston or something... not something with duplicate street names. I also remember seeing a Pearl St near both Washingtons so maybe that's some sort of an omen.
    Yield!

• Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    You were right by where I live! You should have stopped in and said hello or at least have a drink!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    Danimal wrote:
    You were right by where I live! You should have stopped in and said hello or at least have a drink!

That would have been a pleasure from how I was feeling.
    Yield!

• Options
    I feel your pain...driving in Boston and the suburbs is an aquired talent I think...lots of winding streets....at one point...I was driving the wrong way on a one way road...realized it and was up on the grass...a couple of nice people from MA stopped to let me U-turn....

I can guess they were thinking and I was saying...."you're not from around here are you???"

....but... you can find a Dunkin Dougnuts just about everywhere! and... Medford closes at 11:00 p.m. apparently!
    Chris

It's nice in the desert....please play here PJ!
  • Options
    over_bends wrote:

Damn Boston for having two streets!!!!
    ...........MemorieslikestatuesthroughthemIdriveliketreesonthesidesidewalksmoretreesevenstopsignS