Options

"Hey Matt, you gotta slow the songs down"??!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    WaveRyderWaveRyder Posts: 1,128
    knowcode10 wrote:
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    The guy that called up and told Matt to slow down was a total jerk. So embarrassing as a fan to hear another fellow fan say something so stupid. It shows a huge lack of respect.

I know!!!

That guy was an epic douchebag.

1) How many times does the band have to explain that Temple was a one time deal?
    2) You get a chance to talk to A MEMBER OF PEARL JAM and you blow it by insulting them.

Just shameful...

That guy's Mom should do the world a favor and take the phone out of his room.

It's more of an insult to call a fellow fan a jerk if you ask me. He asked about slowing down the songs, that's not a totally unreasonable thing to ask Matt Cameron, drummer for PJ. If you listen to a lot of songs lately (Corduroy, Given to Fly, Evenflow to name a few) they are markedly faster live than they are on record. Even Rockin' in the Free World, they play the VMA version on PJ Radio, forgot how cool and methodical it sounded compared to recent versions.

Speeding up songs live isn't new. Listen to L2L. Those songs are all faster than those you hear on the studio albums. Play fast, play hard and play well and everything works out the way it should in Rock N Roll.
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    When a band plays live, there's a natural tendancy to speed up when your adrenaline is rushing. I'm in a band, I play drums. I've listened back to dozens of live recordings of myself where we blaze through songs but don't exactly feel it while we're playing. Matt even said, "there's a certain energy".

Isn't that what makes a good drummer though? I know what you mean about blazing through tunes, but I've always looked at that as something to correct. And that's not a comment on the quality of Matt's drumming.

I'm sure the fellas in the band want to play the tunes at the precise speed he plays them. That bein said, they some of their groove laden tunes would sound so much better played slower, even if they are sped up from their studio versions. I think it would help out out alot with singing and the lyrics. I don't mind the speed being goosed up to reflect the live energy, but some of the stuff is definitely played too fast to really get the full effect.
  • Options
    I listened to the show for about 40 mins yesterday. I didn't hear this guy's comment, but that is just way out of line. He should be required to turn in his PJ fan card, relinquish his membership, and be banned for life from attending any more shows.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but have the decency to express it in a different forum. Matt was taking time out of his day to take call from the fans directly. That is pretty damn cool of him to say the least! He has no obligation to do that. And the thanks he gets is some jackass telling him to slow the songs down. Unreal.

It's a shame because people really enjoy this AET show and I'd hate to see a member of the band leave with a bad taste in his mouth. I'm sure Matt didn't lose any sleep over it, but I'm sure he didn't like it either. The guy who made that comment should grow up and get a life.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    GoatboyGoatboy Posts: 509
    The guy that called up and told Matt to slow down was a total jerk. So embarrassing as a fan to hear another fellow fan say something so stupid. It shows a huge lack of respect.

My thoughts exactly. Stupid comment, no respect...he should be ashamed.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,692
    You think Matt plays fast...you should hear Joey from QOTSA :roll:

Anyways...calling in and telling MATT FUCK'N CAMMERON how to drum is just bad form.

Did that he actually think that Matt was gonna say:

"Oh Yes...My apologies Mr.Pearl Jam fan...I realize that I've been speeding up Even Flow...I'll be sure to slow it down next time I tour through butt hump nowhere...My apologies...here's a red cap and speedo courtesy of the 10club".
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 711
    DewieCox wrote:
    When a band plays live, there's a natural tendancy to speed up when your adrenaline is rushing. I'm in a band, I play drums. I've listened back to dozens of live recordings of myself where we blaze through songs but don't exactly feel it while we're playing. Matt even said, "there's a certain energy".

Isn't that what makes a good drummer though? I know what you mean about blazing through tunes, but I've always looked at that as something to correct. And that's not a comment on the quality of Matt's drumming.

I'm sure the fellas in the band want to play the tunes at the precise speed he plays them. That bein said, they some of their groove laden tunes would sound so much better played slower, even if they are sped up from their studio versions. I think it would help out out alot with singing and the lyrics. I don't mind the speed being goosed up to reflect the live energy, but some of the stuff is definitely played too fast to really get the full effect.

A good drummer IMO keeps good feel, groove, and goot time but the band as a whole is keeping time. Good drummers play the space between the notes.
    Speed or tempo is prefrence, When your in the studio, naturally I think a band plays slow. When your playing live the band wants to play fast. Nothing really wrong with it, and Pearl Jam probably prefers Even Flow to be played fast. Even if you don't..
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 825
    knowcode10 - You are way off base here.

You don't call out someone on the air, while being a fan of the band, and tell them how to do their job. Absolutely no excuse for this. This so called fan also didn't even have the common courtesy to stay on the line for Matt's response. This was obviously just a little punk bitch. This guy really needs to lose his Ten Club membership and be barred from entry at any Pearl Jam event. Let's start a petition!
  • Options
    vedpunk wrote:
    knowcode10 - You are way off base here.

You don't call out someone on the air, while being a fan of the band, and tell them how to do their job. Absolutely no excuse for this. IAND, to not have the common courtesy to stay on the line to have Matt respond. This guy really needs to lose his Ten Club membership and he should be barred from entery at any Pearl Jam event.
    yes but coming to a message board and calling said caller a tool, a douchebag, a tool bag, a troll...well that is all acceptable...right? isn't that what they have shown us on the all encompassing trip...we can call names so long as we are on the side of pearl jam? totally ridiculous! grow up!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    THAT CALLER LOST ALL CREDIBILITY AND RESPECT WHEN HE ASKED MATT THAT QUESTION AND THEN HUNG UP LIKE A LITTLE BITCH. He opened himself up to being called a troll, etc. The guy deserved worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • Options
    vedpunk wrote:
    THAT CALLER LOST ALL CREDIBILITY AND RESPECT WHEN HE ASKED MATT THAT QUESTION AND THEN HUNG UP LIKE A LITTLE BITCH. He opened himself up to be calling a troll, etc. The guy deserved worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    so this is the way we treat each other in the world? real nice.... :?
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    vedpunk wrote:
    THAT CALLER LOST ALL CREDIBILITY AND RESPECT WHEN HE ASKED MATT THAT QUESTION AND THEN HUNG UP LIKE A LITTLE BITCH. He opened himself up to be calling a troll, etc. The guy deserved worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calm down, man. I think the caller was rude but you're getting really worked up over this. Is name calling really necessary?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    skyeriverwinter - A little sensitive, ha? Come on, that caller opened himself to redicule.
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    Matt plays too fast and he overplays almost everything. That's a cold hard fact. The guy could have phrased this better or posed it as a quaetion better but it's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

I've sen PJ 30 times and in the last couple of years ed is really struggling to keep up, WorldWide Suicide is a good case in point, He's literally spitting out the lyrucs and barely making them 'cos the song is simply too fast.

Given to fly is completely robbed of its power again 'cos they play too fast nowadays for whatever reason.

Is anybody in the band gonna say it to Matt? fuck no. Nobody wants to rock the boat with that issue believe me.

Lot of you guys are really scary. People are allowed criticise and have opinions about Pj different than your own.
  • Options
    vedpunk wrote:
    skyeriverwinter - A little sensitive, ha? Come on, that caller opened himself to redicule.
    sensitive to your rude behavior? no yours and a few others behavior has been quite abrasive and down right rude. threads have been locked for less than whats gone on in this thread but i guess it's ok because you defend Pearl Jam. I am shocked at all the people jumping the bandwagon to call names and point fingers. I am a mom and if my children behaved like some of you....ugh...you'd be standing against the wall for quite a bit.
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    eldarion75 wrote:
    Matt plays too fast and he overplays almost everything. That's a cold hard fact. The guy could have phrased this better or posed it as a quaetion better but it's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

I've sen PJ 30 times and in the last couple of years ed is really struggling to keep up, WorldWide Suicide is a good case in point, He's literally spitting out the lyrucs and barely making them 'cos the song is simply too fast.

Given to fly is completely robbed of its power again 'cos they play too fast nowadays for whatever reason.

Is anybody in the band gonna say it to Matt? fuck no. Nobody wants to rock the boat with that issue believe me.

Lot of you guys are really scary. People are allowed criticise and have opinions about Pj different than your own.

Matt has been holding the rest of the band hostage to his tempos? That bastard!
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,924
    Posting Guidelines
    1. Be nice. We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Please think of it as if you are as a guest in someone else's home. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk.

2. Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here. This includes abusive Private Messages.

Please see the Posting Guidelines...
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91525
This discussion has been closed.