Options

Puzzling Song Selection

IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,649
edited June 2008 in The Porch

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    woundedorganwoundedorgan Posts: 607
    If I didn't see PJ for five years I would give a shit what they played as long as they were out there for a good couple of hours. The only thing I noticed was that their setlist was short about 3-5 tunes for my liking...Oh well, I guess they are saving their energy for the 2 kick ass Camden shows..peace
    God Loves Pearl Jam
  • Options
    Release MeRelease Me Posts: 337
    the reader comments are pretty funny though
    stick to reviewing latin music and hip hop, hilarious..
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    either the writer is completely clueless or completely sarcastic.....there is no middle ground.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    tie-dye ladytie-dye lady Posts: 305
    "logic would suggest"...that the writer know about the band and the fans before writing the review!
    Nothing divine dies. All good is eternally reproductive. The beauty of nature reforms itself in the mind, and not for barren contemplation, but for new creation. ~ Nature, Emerson
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,763
    This writer obviously doesn't know shit about Pearl Jam. They don't play every one of their hits every night. While it wasn't the greatest setlist, the main set was pretty good. Encore was a little weak though.......
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I thought this was funny:
    Yellow Ledbetter followed, with guitarist Mike McCready nailing its signature Red Hot Chili Peppers-like guitar riff.

Unfortunately, Pearl Jam decided to end its night with McCready seemingly at random performing The Star-Spangled Banner on guitar, Hendrix-style, leaving many to wonder why the band didn't deliver a few of its biggest hits instead

Now how is Yellow Ledbetter a RHCP like guitar riff? When the song was written RHCP were not really playing that style often. It is obviosly Hendrix like being insipred by Little Wing..... Then he goes on to say the Star SPangled Banner was Hendrix like :?

did he not catch that YL is hendrix like and that is why they flow together so well?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    ajedigecko wrote:
    either the writer is completely clueless or completely sarcastic.....there is no middle ground.

I'm going with clueless. He tries to be original in saying that Given To Fly is like Going to California, but that bridge was crossed 10 years ago when the f-ing album came out. Also, PJ shows are upwards of 90+ minutes (not sure what this one clocked in at) and you don't become America's favorite band by playing just "hits". They never have! Completely CLUELESS!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    intodeep wrote:
    Yellow Ledbetter followed, with guitarist Mike McCready nailing its signature Red Hot Chili Peppers-like guitar riff.

Unfortunately, Pearl Jam decided to end its night with McCready seemingly at random performing The Star-Spangled Banner on guitar, Hendrix-style, leaving many to wonder why the band didn't deliver a few of its biggest hits instead

Now how is Yellow Ledbetter a RHCP like guitar riff? When the song was written RHCP were not really playing that style often. It is obviosly Hendrix like being insipred by Little Wing..... Then he goes on to say the Star SPangled Banner was Hendrix like :?

did he not catch that YL is hendrix like and that is why they flow together so well?

Mike said at one point that it's a SRV ripoff, which SRV said that he's in love and pays homage to Hedrix all the time. RHCP?? I don't get it.

Again... CLUELESS.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    smithnic wrote:
    Mike said at one point that it's a SRV ripoff, which SRV said that he's in love and pays homage to Hedrix all the time. RHCP?? I don't get it.

Again... CLUELESS.

I kind of get it because John Frusiante loves hendrix and SRV too and you can hear it in his playing espcially some of the later stuff he has done recently. So i see where it may sound similar because both mike and john dig that style, but i think it is just lazy of the writer to say it is RHCP like when it is obvious both guitarist are influenced by those guys.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,223
    the intro to Ledbetter and the end of Under the bridge are kind of similar. Not saying anyone ripped anyone off, but I can see how they could be compared.

That being said, that writer is a tool bag.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    Anyone go last night can attest to this "grumbling" comment?????????

Man, he must of walked out with some real tools if all he heard was grumbling.

Setlist looked kind of short, but they guy obviously dosen't know the band too well outside of radio.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,741
    another fucking fuckwit journalist getting paid to write fucking garbage.......cock.
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    Newspaper critics are hilarious. Do you think he wanted them to play "Cannibal"?

This guy's obviously only listened to Ten (their "crowning achievement"), Vs. and their radio hits. Honestly, I think he wrote the review this way because he couldn't identify half the set list and didn't want to do any research. As far as I can tell they played two B-sides (Sad and YL, which he actually liked), one cover (the Tom Waits song) and one new soundtrack song (No More). The rest were album tracks. It's not like Who You Are, Low Light, Faithfull and Save You are fan club singles or b-sides. If fans really were grumbling, then I guess it was just too much to ask for them to actually listen to the albums of the band they're going to see. Maybe that 60 bucks they spent on a ticket would be better put towards buying No Code, Yield, Binaural and Riot Act.

I for one will be ecstatic if Pearl Jam plays any songs I don't recognize at the shows I'm going to, because that will mean it's a serious rarity.

And another thing: He doesn't even use the correct Associated Press style for song titles, which is to put them in quotes. He uses italics, which is retarded because it makes them look like album titles. Might be the Herald's individual style, but I still think he's an idiot.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    thank god they didn't play all the hits. If these fuckers want all the hits I suggest they go to Bonaroo...also, since when is I Got ID a big hit that people are crying for? also, how many fans actually go to a PJ show and expect to hear Jeremy?

The most disturbing thing about the article though was that Ed was wearing white jeans
  • Options
    "Yellow Ledbetter followed, with guitarist Mike McCready nailing its signature Red Hot Chili Peppers-like guitar riff.

Unfortunately, Pearl Jam decided to end its night with McCready seemingly at random performing The Star-Spangled Banner on guitar, Hendrix-style, leaving many to wonder why the band didn't deliver a few of its biggest hits instead"

"Gone, Do the Evolution and Why Go highlighted the back-end of the set and were politely appreciated"

"That primal-scream song was followed by Severed Hand, a track from the group's 2006 self-titled album that's reminiscent of Guns 'N Roses' Welcome to the Jungle."

Looking at the language used and drawing from the average reaction of the reader, from these comments alone, years of love for said band and experience of both a 'greatest hits' style gig and a 'hardcore fan' set, I have come to this conclusion...

The writer is on drugs.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I love how he thinks only hardcore fans like Dissadent....which is actually the complete opposite. I just think it's funny that he mentions I Got Id along with Black,Daughter, and Small Town as a big hit
  • Options
    Fury ThreeFury Three Posts: 32
    But other than the fifth song, Given To Fly, which sounds like a more rocking version of Led Zeppelin's Going to California...
    Stopped reading here. Writer is a fucking idiot.
  • Options
    Fury Three wrote:
    Stopped reading here. Writer is a fucking idiot.
    LOL don't hold back will you?!

I agree ;)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    "But other than the fifth song, Given To Fly, which sounds like a more rocking version of Led Zeppelin's Going to California"

Ok, this guys not too current either as that is old freaking news.

I remember watching MTV news when they had the story about the similarity of those two songs.
  • Options
    Is it just me or is this guy making the worst smilies when comparing pj songs to older songs? severed hand = Guns n Roses? Yellow Ledbetter = RHCP?

Maybe they should have played their hit "daughter" which has a oingo boingo type bass line. Or perhaps "Release" which has a rather Jon Secada feel to it.

What an tool, this guy.
    Once you, were in my...Rearview mirror...

230xxx

Tampa '03
    Gorge '06
    West Palm '08
    Tampa '08
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    More complaining about the set list, this time from a blog at the Broward New Times, an alternative weekly newspaper that I thought would have a better review.

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/crossfade/2008/06/last_night_pearl_jam_at_cruzan.php

Maybe because the band hadn't played Florida in five years, they all forgot what a Pearl Jam concert was like.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    with the last name such as that reporting...what more could you expect?...~

BY MICHAEL HAMERSLY
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    I thought for an openeing night, it was pretty good. And the southern shows will all probably get a heavier dose of the last albulm since they did not get the last tour. I have a feeling Tampa will see a very differnt set list than last night.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    I never, ever email writers about shit, especially music reviewers. I figure their opinion is their opinion. But's taking all my strength not to email this guy.

I don't think he realizes what a PJ show is all about. I'd like to direct him to the setlist thread from last night, where most people were going apeshit over the setlist. And those who "grumbled" were grumbling because there were TOO MANY hits.

Honestly ... I don't know what this guy was thinking.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    twat.
  • Options
    PrlJmr10PrlJmr10 Posts: 130
    ajedigecko wrote:

I read that this morning...I have one word for this "writer". IDIOT.

I was at the show last night...not only did I not hear grumbling of any kind,
    all around people were quite pumped. Before, during & after.

This guy should stick to writing fiction...his non -fiction work sucks.
    PEARL JAM - It's what's for breakfast

"Promise only what you can deliver. Then deliver more than you promise."
    --Anonymous

The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them. -Patrick Henry, revolutionary (1736-1799)
  • Options
    RoeghmannRoeghmann Posts: 968
    intodeep wrote:

Hi hi I really like this, and Iwould love to get my hands on that chili peppers song he refers to - must be their best.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • Options
    SoybeansSoybeans Posts: 245
    This is my email to the reviewer guy:

mhamersly@MiamiHerald.com

subject: Your lame ass Pearl Jam review

I'm going to assume you are not a pearl Jam fan. That's cool, but don't dis these guys because you don't know the songs. When a band wants to tap into their vast catalogue to give a crowd a unique experience and connect in a non-jukebox kinda way, that's a good thing. You can't knock them for not replaying the same shit over and over at every show. If you were truly a rock crtic you would have appreciated the fact that they dug out "Who you Are", a song not played in 10 years. This is not a Pearl Jam cover band, this is the real thing. They have rock and roll morals you'll never understand, but be cool, I'm sure the All American Retards or some other "real" rock band will be around soon to wet your appetite for the hits. Maybe you should petition Radiohead to play Creep again when they come around. I mean it is what the fans want, right?
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • Options
    chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Maybe they should have played their hit "daughter" which has a oingo boingo type bass line. Or perhaps "Release" which has a rather Jon Secada feel to it.

What an tool, this guy.

Hahaha......great stuff, laughed out loud at my desk.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    chimpat wrote:
    Hahaha......great stuff, laughed out loud at my desk.

I wish they would have opened with Release, which sounds like Primus and Garth Brooks had a baby.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do