Options

Austin City Limits No PJ but lots of cool bands!

Fell on Black DaysFell on Black Days Posts: 20
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Anyone going?

I was bummed out about the Pearl Jam rumors proving false but I'm going on Saturday at least - The Black Keys, MGMT, Fogerty, Plant, Beck and Iron and Wine all on one day!

I'm moving permanently to Round Rock/Austin area in early September and I'd love to find some interesting people to meet up with at ACL or whereever.

Was in the area in January for the Foo's concert in Dallas and I discovered Congress St., Fran's, Barton Springs and many other cool places. Had to come back - I had the best day of my life there last month. Brunch at Oasis, rented a jet ski on the Lake then checked out all the interesting sights at the Hippy Hideaway. Oh yeah, then my first trip to Rudy's for dinner!! I can't wait to get back to Texas.

Anyways, I'd love to hear from anyone from the area. It would be cool to make a friend or two before I get down there to live. Please PM me or post here. Or just some advice on things to do in Austin would be appreciated...

You still out there Weenie?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CobCob Posts: 857
    I'll be there, if you've never been take the bus down to Zilker Park or ride a bike and take the bus, take lots of sunscreen as there isn't much shade. It is going to be hot so try to limit your beer intake if you can, the Austin Ventures stage always has good up and coming bands and there is not as many people to deal with.

Other than that welcome back to Texas, Austin and San Antonio have tons of bands that come through, even though PJ hasn't played since 2003, there is still plenty to keep you busy.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Options
    nimsu8nimsu8 Posts: 321
    Anyone going?

I was bummed out about the Pearl Jam rumors proving false but I'm going on Saturday at least - The Black Keys, MGMT, Fogerty, Plant, Beck and Iron and Wine all on one day!

I'm moving permanently to Round Rock/Austin area in early September and I'd love to find some interesting people to meet up with at ACL or whereever.

Was in the area in January for the Foo's concert in Dallas and I discovered Congress St., Fran's, Barton Springs and many other cool places. Had to come back - I had the best day of my life there last month. Brunch at Oasis, rented a jet ski on the Lake then checked out all the interesting sights at the Hippy Hideaway. Oh yeah, then my first trip to Rudy's for dinner!! I can't wait to get back to Texas.

Anyways, I'd love to hear from anyone from the area. It would be cool to make a friend or two before I get down there to live. Please PM me or post here. Or just some advice on things to do in Austin would be appreciated...

Are you a chick? jk.. I live in round rock.. feel free to give a shout if you have any questions
    Buffalo - 1996; Montreal, Hartford - 1998; San Antonio - 2003; Milwaukee - 2006; Berkeley II - 2008; MSG I - 2008

MSG I pics: http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll22/nimsu8/MSG 1/
  • Options
    i'm going.
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    i'm going.

i'm not.. and even if PJ played I probably wouldn't.. outdoor festivals like that don't sound like much fun
    Buffalo - 1996; Montreal, Hartford - 1998; San Antonio - 2003; Milwaukee - 2006; Berkeley II - 2008; MSG I - 2008

• Options
    nimsu8 wrote:
    i'm not.. and even if PJ played I probably wouldn't.. outdoor festivals like that don't sound like much fun

i'm a festival whore. went to Roo, going to ACL and Voodoo again. love em. and PJ always play festivals like their lives depend on it.
  • Options
    My Corduroy JacketMy Corduroy Jacket Austin, TX Posts: 571
    Anyone going?

Welcome to Austin! I'll be at ACL for sure. Definitely take sun screen and even your swim shorts because you can stroll to Barton Springs pool before your skin entirely melts off.

Austin's a great City. I've met a couple other jammers while living here, so if you want to meet up sometime, just let me know (talked to weenie but never met up with her...yet). Peace!
    Austin, TX
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    i'm a festival whore. went to Roo, going to ACL and Voodoo again. love em. and PJ always play festivals like their lives depend on it.

Just standing in 100 degree weather for a whole day, hellish parking, thousands of people mobbing to get a good view of the stage with bad body odor, $8 bottles of water, a lot of filler bands that i have no interest in... just doesn't sound like fun

• Options
    you're too old! ;) just kidding
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    you're too old! ;) just kidding

maybe... but i've always felt that way about outdoor festivals.

• Options
    nlowrancenlowrance Dallas, TX Posts: 20
    Anyone going?

Check out the Continental Club on Congress on Wed nights. James McMurtry plays there pretty often. If you have never heard of him, I suggest you run and get in the know before others figure him out. Incredible songwriter, often covered but never imitated (no pj of course, but will certainly tide you over)!

http://www.continentalclub.com/Austin.html
    http://www.jamesmcmurtry.com/

I am jealous. Born and raised Austinite stuck in NYC. Feel like a fish outta water.
    Dallas, Texas (June 09, 2003) | New York, New York (June 24, 2008) | Austin, Texas (October 04, 2009) | New York, New York (May 20, 2010) | Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013) | Oklahoma City, OK (November 16, 2013) | Oklahoma City (September 20, 2022)
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Outdoor festivals aren't for everybody but ACL is definitely one of the very best, as to be expected in a music-loving city like Austin. I went last year for the first time and will be back again this year.

Be prepared for hot weather so take plenty of sunscreen and dress comfortably. You will NOT be able to swim in Barton Springs. You can take some bottled water in with you if the bottles are sealed. You can also take in lawn chairs so if you get there early you can stake out some of the limited shade.

You should also be prepared to do plenty of walking so you might want to start getting in shape NOW. :D
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Yeah, still here. Congrats on being on your way to a new life. :)

Let me hear from you!
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    MMJ rocked that shit
  • Options
    Dillsnufus wrote:
    MMJ rocked that shit

Who are MMJ? Anyone?
  • Options
    DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    My Morning Jacket