Options

Binaural hate

PoyndexterPoyndexter Posts: 92
edited April 2008 in The Porch
Not by me. Although it is their worst album IMHO. Pulled this from an espn.com article. Thought it might cause some uproar. Or not.

Q: Your stubborn insistence on writing basketball nonsense for months on end reminds me of when Pearl Jam made albums like "Binaural" to purposely drive fans away. The baseball season just started and have we been treated to an SG column about it? No! I'd even read a Red Sox column or a Tom Brady column just because it's not a basketball column. You do realize the baseball season started right?
-- Danny G., Kansas City, Mo.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Real fans know that No Code, Yield and Binaural (the 3 "disappearance albums") are at the top of their best.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    simplemansimpleman Posts: 425
    Real fans know that No Code, Yield and Binaural (the 3 "disappearance albums") are at the top of their best.
    I am clearly not a " real fan ". I'm turning in my membership and giving away my front 7 row seats. Damn it.
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Binaural is my favorite PJ album.
  • Options
    dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    Pearl Jams "diappoinment albums" are far better than most bands, "best" albums.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Binaural is my favorite album, and easily the best recording session the band has ever had. So many amazing songs from one session. People can complain about the songs that didn't make the final album, but it shows the strength of the sessions that there were so many amazing outtakes.
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    Poyndexter wrote:
    Not by me. Although it is their worst album IMHO. Pulled this from an espn.com article. Thought it might cause some uproar. Or not.

Q: Your stubborn insistence on writing basketball nonsense for months on end reminds me of when Pearl Jam made albums like "Binaural" to purposely drive fans away. The baseball season just started and have we been treated to an SG column about it? No! I'd even read a Red Sox column or a Tom Brady column just because it's not a basketball column. You do realize the baseball season started right?

I don't like the CD because it has a lot of oldies kind of melodies to it, but that is not to say it is good just because I don't count it as one my favorites.
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    simpleman wrote:
    I am clearly not a " real fan ". I'm turning in my membership and giving away my front 7 row seats. Damn it.

you have my address, right???????

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    How an album that has Breakerfall, Light Years, Nothing As It Seems, Insignificance, Of The Girl, Grievence, Sleight of Hand, and Parting Ways on it with b-sides like Sad, Fatal, Education, and In The Moonlight can be called PJ's worst album is either an attribute to how awesome a band like Pearl Jam is, or the listener has no ears.
  • Options
    Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329
    How an album that has Breakerfall, Light Years, Nothing As It Seems, Insignificance, Of The Girl, Grievence, Sleight of Hand, and Parting Ways on it with b-sides like Sad, Fatal, Education, and In The Moonlight can be called PJ's worst album is either an attribute to how awesome a band like Pearl Jam is, or the listener has no ears.

Because people are dumb.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    I may be alone on this but Binaural is my favorite PJ album.also i am one of the few fans who loves ALL their albums!!!

never liked last kiss...but that is it..well parachutes,but that's it for sure!!!
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,763
    Because people are dumb.

Everyone has an opinion. You're the one who sounds dumb thinking that someone is dumb because they don't share your opinion.
  • Options
    i was listening to it yesterday and i think its actually worse than Riot Act. Parting Ways and maybe Sleight of Hand are all i really care about. if i had to live without one album, Binaural would be it.

oh and after further review, Evacuation is still the worst song ever played by Pearl Jam. just atrocious. I think i hate it more and more with every listen.
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    i was listening to it yesterday and i think its actually worse than Riot Act. Parting Ways and maybe Sleight of Hand are all i really care about. if i had to live without one album, Binaural would be it.

oh and after further review, Evacuation is still the worst song ever played by Pearl Jam. just atrocious. I think i hate it more and more with every listen.

oh, c'mon don't hold back.......tell us how you REALLY feel........

• Options
    Army & NavyArmy & Navy Posts: 120
    I think the Binaural sessions did bring about some great songs (Sad, Fatal, Education, NAIS, Sleight, Insignificance, Greivance, Of The Girl)

Problem is 3 of the above weren't on Binaural, and there in lies Pearl Jam's worst error so far - The final tracklisting was poor, with the first 3 songs sounding like B-Sides. Light Years just seems to not go anywhere (should of stuck with the Demo version).

It gets better from there, but if you place the worst 4 songs at the beginning of the album you're asking for trouble.

Thing is, I think they did it on purpose!
  • Options
    I think the Binaural sessions did bring about some great songs (Sad, Fatal, Education, NAIS, Sleight, Insignificance, Greivance, Of The Girl)

Problem is 3 of the above weren't on Binaural, and there in lies Pearl Jam's worst error so far - The final tracklisting was poor, with the first 3 songs sounding like B-Sides. Light Years just seems to not go anywhere (should of stuck with the Demo version).

It gets better from there, but if you place the worst 4 songs at the beginning of the album you're asking for trouble.

Thing is, I think they did it on purpose!
    Rolling Stone atricle from last year, I believe noted that they purposely left out the "better" or more catchy songs from that era in order to avoid overexposure. I'm sure someone else can confirm this. But they definitely steered away from commercial (for lack of a better term) songs, hence the greatness of Lost Dogs.
  • Options
    People dislike this album? I think it's amazing!
  • Options
    they should just change their name and start over if they are scared of making great songs.
  • Options
    Everyone has an opinion. You're the one who sounds dumb thinking that someone is dumb because they don't share your opinion.

Easy bro, it was said in jest. I forgot sarcasm doesn't come across well on message boards.

I'm well aware everyone has an opinion and not everyone agrees with what people think or say.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,361
    binaural has grown on me over the years. still it cant crack the top 6 for me though.

would have been much better had the incorporated the b sides onto it
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Binaural is by far my favorite album. I love listening to it from beginning to end.

Although I also have much love for Riot Act. I am one of the weird ones, I never lost dropped pj at all and I love the new albums as much as the older ones. In fact I find I rarley listen to Vs. anymore.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    Great songs, terrible production.

And "Evacuation" haters are gay.
  • Options
    I think Binaural is a great album...in the top 5.
  • Options
    I think Binaural is a great album...in the top 5.

What a fantastic user name...
  • Options
    Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    Poyndexter wrote:

Q: Your stubborn insistence on writing basketball nonsense for months on end reminds me of when Pearl Jam made albums like "Binaural" to purposely drive fans away.

I think the opposite is true,albums like Binaural are the reason why they have such a rabid fanbase.Everyone I know who just has Ten and Vs. wouldn't list PJ in their favourite bands or wouldn't go out of their way to see a PJ show or get a bootleg whereas anyone who owns No Code,Yield,Binaural and Riot Act is completely devoted to the band.

Sleight Of Hand's the best song I've ever heard.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    What a fantastic user name...

You can't triple stamp a double stamp.
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Binaural has survived more cd changes in my car than any other album.
    It is one of my alltime fave albums.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    people who dont like binaural dont understand it. not to sound like an elitist, but after much thought i have found this to be true.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Binaural has survived more cd changes in my car than any other album.
    It is one of my alltime fave albums.
    isnt it the best driving album ever?
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,271
    Poyndexter wrote:

not there best but not there worse!!!!!!!!!!!!
    danny d
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,824
    binural is amazing. enough said :)
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022