Options

Ebay A/P MSG II? How?

mjbmjb Posts: 1,315
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Not to advertise anyone's auction, but what the hell I am gonna do it and be a whiny bitch about it

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pearl-Jam-MSG-New-York-Poster-S-N-June-25th-2008-AP_W0QQitemZ130233982407QQihZ003QQcategoryZ104990QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

how does this dude have an A/P before the thing is even sold on the ames site? Some fuckers are getting mighty rich on these posters. I am done. 1 more in the pot for everyone else. I can't feed this frenzy anymore. People keep telling me I am living in the past following this band, yet the demand for their merch is out of control. I just don't get it.

EDIT: HollisBrown has rightfully pointed out he has likely secured it by way of a SUB - I am a dork. Still think it has become ridiculous and will refrain from taking part going forward.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,319
    mjb wrote:
    Not to advertise anyone's auction, but what the hell I am gonna do it and be a whiny bitch about it

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pearl-Jam-MSG-New-York-Poster-S-N-June-25th-2008-AP_W0QQitemZ130233982407QQihZ003QQcategoryZ104990QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

how does this dude have an A/P before the thing is even sold on the ames site? Some fuckers are getting mighty rich on these posters. I am done. 1 more in the pot for everyone else. I can't feed this frenzy anymore. People keep telling me I am living in the past following this band, yet the demand for their merch is out of control. I just don't get it.
    Bought the sub from BIGPOPPA, sold a couple of weeks back. The individual posters go on sale the first business day after the show.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Bought the sub from BIGPOPPA

AHH - you are much smarter than I. Ok - point about the Ebay parasite aside, I still think it is outta control.
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    holy shit! only $300 for a paper that says "Madison Square Garden" on it...this is a deal!
  • Options
    mjb wrote:
    AHH - you are much smarter than I. Ok - point about the Ebay parasite aside, I still think it is outta control.
    No doubt. But if you collect the posters from the shows you attend there's nothing you can do. Either wait for the 10 Club sale, which can happen at awkward times, trade with someone who isn't too attached to it or play the ebay game. I've done all three. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you pay thru the nose.
    My advice is to try and trade with a fellow fan/collector or wait for the 10C sale. If you can't get one there, the prices on ebay have usually flattened out by then, (unless it's a really hot poster).
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • Options
    thunderDAN wrote:
    holy shit! only $300 for a paper that says "Madison Square Garden" on it...this is a deal!
    Hey just think how Knick season ticket holders must feel. $300 ain't so bad. :)
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • Options
    Hey just think how Knick season ticket holders must feel. $300 ain't so bad. :)

I went to a Knicks game on time at the Garden...what a crap team they were. I think it was 2 years ago and they got blown out by the Raptors. They passed time by making a big deal that Don King was in the stands
  • Options
    I find it disgusting. The lines for merch disturb me. the turning of them.
    i wanted to just grab a poster and rip it up after the AMAZING show last night.
    I have some issues to with everything. Am i done? No the band delivered the goods big time the last 2 nights.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,745
    guys this is a difficult one....you've got to ask yourself if you had got a sub, and didnt like one of the posters....what would you do

a) sell it for the current going rate on the 'open market'
    b) be noble and sell it for the $70 it cost in the sub to a fellow fan because you feel its the right thing to do.

Now its easy to say its the latter of the two, but when you consider, you might go and give the thing away, and then that person flog it....

The market is what it is, this isnt confined to posters, its confined to everything in life...things in demand cost more....

Thankfully I got the night 1 poster and I love it so its going nowhere but can anyone really be that against someone selling a poster on an auction site, when he bought it blind in a sub and doesnt like it? and going for what the market dictates it might fetch? Personally I doubt it'll get 300 but well if someone is crazy enough, more fool them.

Its always an interesting point isnt it? is selling posters straight after a show and making a profit any more flipping than it is to sell a 98/96 poster now for big money? Yet so often people accept the resales after a period of time as just being one of those things....but this sort of 'flipping' is so evil......baffling all round really
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    guys this is a difficult one....you've got to ask yourself if you had got a sub, and didnt like one of the posters....what would you do

b) be noble and sell it for the $70 it cost in the sub to a fellow fan because you feel its the right thing to do.

I bought a Copenhagen 2006- didn't like it and sold it to someone that liked it on here for $25+ shipping.

I just look at it as, why buy something that is limited if you don't like it? I wasn't sure how I felt about the Copenhagen till I saw it; someone on here went to the show and didn't get one so I figured they would like it more than I would and I could be pissed if I couldn't get one if I went (still am about Cleveland 2003). I just don't see a $50 profit that big of a deal.
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:

Now its easy to say its the latter of the two, but when you consider, you might go and give the thing away, and then that person flog it....

The market is what it is, this isnt confined to posters, its confined to everything in life...things in demand cost more....

Thankfully I got the night 1 poster and I love it so its going nowhere but can anyone really be that against someone selling a poster on an auction site, when he bought it blind in a sub and doesnt like it? and going for what the market dictates it might fetch? Personally I doubt it'll get 300 but well if someone is crazy enough, more fool them.

Its always an interesting point isnt it? is selling posters straight after a show and making a profit any more flipping than it is to sell a 98/96 poster now for big money? Yet so often people accept the resales after a period of time as just being one of those things....but this sort of 'flipping' is so evil......baffling all round really

To be clear - I had thought this fellow had some kind of way of securing the A/P before the Ames daily clusterfuck of a sale. Paul raises some interesting points about someone not liking a print obtained in a sub, etc. The reality is probably someone who simply bought the sub to flip on days such as this where people are all hot and bothered after missing a print and are willing to pay big bucks in the aftermarket.
  • Options
    thunderDAN wrote:
    I just look at it as, why buy something that is limited if you don't like it?
    The problem with the Ames sub is that you're buying sight unseen. Once the shows start, then you get to see what you bought. I have Petty VS PJ and the first leg of the NA tour 06 from them. Wanna buy some at my cost?
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • Options
    yeah I understand your points, someone on here, who I may add is rather disliked by many in my view unfairly, helped me out with a Kenyon for $50 when i missed out

This all depends I guess on morals, but if someone needs the cash I understand there isnt a dilemna - its gonna be sold for the best price possible. In the better world we'd all sell for face to ensure there was no profiteering going on. I do admire you for what you did with the copenhagen however.

To be open though guys I know the guy selling the print, he comes on here regular and is a well respected member. He bought the sub blind, didnt like it, and hes selling it. If its too expensive thats another thing, but its his call.

in fairness to him I've tried a few sites trying to trade my DC and Manchesters and had no takers so far, so what can you do for the best??
  • Options
    mjb wrote:
    To be clear - I had thought this fellow had some kind of way of securing the A/P before the Ames daily clusterfuck of a sale. Paul raises some interesting points about someone not liking a print obtained in a sub, etc. The reality is probably someone who simply bought the sub to flip on days such as this where people are all hot and bothered after missing a print and are willing to pay big bucks in the aftermarket.

If I hadnt known the seller, this is the conclusion I would have come to also....its a fair assumption....

But we were stoked about this sub, and always excited about seeing each art as it unfolds....
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    If I hadnt known the seller, this is the conclusion I would have come to also....its a fair assumption....

But we were stoked about this sub, and always excited about seeing each art as it unfolds....

Fair enough - I shouldn't have called him out without knowing his true intentions/reason for selling - would have been nice to see him recover his costs by selling to someone here who missed out and is really upset right now, but to each his own.
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,148
    Same guy who sold the Reenik Roink a month or so a go for $2,750 ....who the fuck does this guy think he is Ninersfan??? :mad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130221804412
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    ames sold these about 3 weeks ago,...in a sub
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org