Options

constructive criticism:2008 bootlegs

rxtasyrxtasy Posts: 22
edited August 2008 in The Porch
Is it just me or are the 2008 boots off regarding crowd noise. I dont think the boots are horrible...just not very representative of the shows I went to. It seems whomever did the mix really muted the crowd.

Not sure why they did this but hopefully they will try to make the mix more realistic in regards to the whole sound experience.

Thanks for making them available though...much love.
"All those Yesterdays"
10/07/96 Ft. Lauderdale
09/01/98 ATL
09/22/98 WPB
09/23/98 WPB
08/09/00 WPB
08/10/00 WPB
06/25/03 Detroit
06/26/03 Detroit
07/02/03 Boston
09/28/04 Boston
09/29/04 Boston
10/01/05 Borgata II
06/11/08 WPB
06/24/08 MSG I
06/25/08 MSG II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    STT757STT757 Posts: 302
    rxtasy wrote:
    It seems whomever did the mix really muted the crowd.

From my personal view, good. The crowd was too much at MSG II, I want to hear the band. It's one thing to sing along, it's another thing just drown out the band. I've seen some great Pearl Jam shows over the years, MSG II 2008 was disappointing from one aspect. The crowd drowned out the band, it's nice to feel the energy and the floor bounce but the crowd was just over the top.

To prove my point I was really disappointed they brought in back up singers, none of the other tour dates as far as I know had the back up singers and the songs I feel were better than when played with the back up singers at MSG.

I was at MSG I in 1998, a show that had some problems which are well documented but the songs they did play without the equipment problems sounded awesome! The crowd knew when to sing along and when to get quiet and let the band play, same with Seattle II.
    Randalls Island New York 9/29/96 - Oakland Coliseum Oakland California 11/15/97 - MSG New York New York 09/10/98 - Key Arena Seattle Washington 11/05/00, 11/06/00 - PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel New Jersey 7/14/03 - Tweeter Center Camden New Jersey 5/28/06, MSG New York New York 06/25/08, Spectrum Arena Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 10/27/09
  • Options
    mdg164mdg164 Posts: 206
    rxtasy wrote:
    Is it just me or are the 2008 boots off regarding crowd noise. I dont think the boots are horrible...just not very representative of the shows I went to. It seems whomever did the mix really muted the crowd.

Not sure why they did this but hopefully they will try to make the mix more realistic in regards to the whole sound experience.

How dare you!?!?!?!
    09/02/00 09/05/00
    04/25/03 05/02/03 5/3/03 6/24/03 6/28/03 7/5/03 7/6/03 7/11/03 7/12/03 7/14/03
    09/28/04 09/29/04 10/01/04 10/02/04
    09/28/05 09/30/05 10/03/05
    5/24/06 5/25/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 5/30/06 6/01/06 6/03/06 6/23/06 6/24/06 7/22/06 7/23/06
    6/20/08 6/22/08 6/24/08 6/25/08
  • Options
    The boots for me a disappointing...Was listening to Corduroy last night from Camden 1. I mean you can hardly hear a guitar in the whole song!
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,804
    At least the boots I have for the shows I was at (Camdens & Mansfield) the crowd does seem to be really lowered. I like when they used to mix with drop mics over the stage. Now it seems like everything is a direct input so the only crowd you're probably hearing is from the band's own mic's on stage. I like the sound of the crowd right up in it. Gives a good feel of the atmosphere. Plus, with the direct feed you can hear how much they fuck up at Camden 2, which can be charming at times but this was just bad. A lot of the stuff sounded downright sloppy.
  • Options
    STT757STT757 Posts: 302
    Without a doubt the 2003 bootlegs are the best quality, who ever did the 2003 bootleg series I hope the guys will bring them back for future tours.
    Randalls Island New York 9/29/96 - Oakland Coliseum Oakland California 11/15/97 - MSG New York New York 09/10/98 - Key Arena Seattle Washington 11/05/00, 11/06/00 - PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel New Jersey 7/14/03 - Tweeter Center Camden New Jersey 5/28/06, MSG New York New York 06/25/08, Spectrum Arena Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 10/27/09
  • Options
    At least the boots I have for the shows I was at (Camdens & Mansfield) the crowd does seem to be really lowered. I like when they used to mix with drop mics over the stage. Now it seems like everything is a direct input so the only crowd you're probably hearing is from the band's own mic's on stage. I like the sound of the crowd right up in it. Gives a good feel of the atmosphere. Plus, with the direct feed you can hear how much they fuck up at Camden 2, which can be charming at times but this was just bad. A lot of the stuff sounded downright sloppy.

I couldn't wait to hear these boots, all the fans raving about the shows etc etc..The amount of f*ck ups though is insane. Nearly every song has a flubbed guitar line...Even stuff like Corduroy & Even Flow which must of been played thousands of times..I thought they were super tight in 2006, so I think it was just a case of under rehersal, and possibly mixing up the setlists so much
  • Options
    I couldn't wait to hear these boots, all the fans raving about the shows etc etc..The amount of f*ck ups though is insane. Nearly every song has a flubbed guitar line...Even stuff like Corduroy & Even Flow which must of been played thousands of times..I thought they were super tight in 2006, so I think it was just a case of under rehersal, and possibly mixing up the setlists so much

Yeah and half of the rep of Camden/Philly shows IS the crowd and theyre involvement etc. etc. But it just doesn't come through. I think the first Camden show sounded great. It was just the second show that sounded so bad. Yeah, Corduroy, LBC(absolutely terrible as why they stopped), Insiginificance, Whipping - pretty much the heart of the middle of the first set sounded atrocious. And believe me, I hate admitting and/or saying that.
  • Options
    Yeah and half of the rep of Camden/Philly shows IS the crowd and theyre involvement etc. etc. But it just doesn't come through. I think the first Camden show sounded great. It was just the second show that sounded so bad. Yeah, Corduroy, LBC(absolutely terrible as why they stopped), Insiginificance, Whipping - pretty much the heart of the middle of the first set sounded atrocious. And believe me, I hate admitting and/or saying that.

As far as the Camden shows go, I feel like I'm in the minority that thought
    Night II was kinda' off in general. Enjoyed both shows, but the band didn't seem to "click" on Night II. Just an opinion.

In other bootleg related matters, I wish I was talented enough to make a matrix of the MSG II show. The official boot sounds awesome, but certainly doesn't reflect the energy of the crowd that night. With the OUTSTANDING audience recording of that show mixed in, I think it would be a masterpiece.
    Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08
  • Options
    As far as the Camden shows go, I feel like I'm in the minority that thought
    Night II was kinda' off in general. Enjoyed both shows, but the band didn't seem to "click" on Night II. Just an opinion.

In other bootleg related matters, I wish I was talented enough to make a matrix of the MSG II show. The official boot sounds awesome, but certainly doesn't reflect the energy of the crowd that night. With the OUTSTANDING audience recording of that show mixed in, I think it would be a masterpiece.

As I think I'm in the minority on that too - really thought night 2 was a downer compared to night 1. I thought it only had to do with me being on lawn compared to seats on night 1 and plus the douche making fun of the songs in front of me. But not to sound snobby, night 2 just sounded downright off.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    My fiance was a little bummed that the crowd was low in the mix for the MSG bootlegs. She went to them with me (her first 2 shows) and I think she really wanted that energy to come through on the bootlegs. The crowd is still loud in the mix, but it's not representative of the manic energy in the venue those 2 nights.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    I like the boots a-lot, and I think the later shows sound better. I agree that it seems like the crowd was way to low on these. I wish that the crowd was mixed in better, even on some of the shows where the crowd is supposed to be singing they sound low. BUt I am happy we got the boots. And I think I read on here somewhere that the guy that normally mixes their shows did not do this set of bootlegs.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,313
    You are not the only ones. Camden II was a let down from night 1. My main beef was the 7 repeats they played. I was hoping for 0-3 repeats, but 7 seemed extreeme. Night 1 was absolutely fantastic. On the flip side, my brother and I did not tailgate for night 1, but we did for night 2, so you would expect the boozed show to be better/us be happier, but it was not that way, kinda weird. Even a little sauced we could tell night 1 was better. But the people we hung out with/ met, were way better night 2, what a fantastic group we had hitting the Patron....good times both days.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    interesting to hear all these points of view....still waiting on my boots to see what they sound like. thats too bad about all the screw ups and the lack of crowd noise....really like the 2000 and the 03 mix. taking it straight from the board is not my first choice. i like the hanging mike thing.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I only have the bonnaroo boot and the hartford. For some reason my bonnaroo boot sounds MUCH better in my car than my hartford. But anywhere else, the Hartford boot sounds much better.

As for the crowd, I also think they should've recorded the crowd better. I specifically remember the crowd going insane for the chorus during In Hiding at hartford. The boot doesn't show it at all.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    You are not the only ones. Camden II was a let down from night 1. My main beef was the 7 repeats they played. I was hoping for 0-3 repeats, but 7 seemed extreeme. Night 1 was absolutely fantastic. On the flip side, my brother and I did not tailgate for night 1, but we did for night 2, so you would expect the boozed show to be better/us be happier, but it was not that way, kinda weird. Even a little sauced we could tell night 1 was better. But the people we hung out with/ met, were way better night 2, what a fantastic group we had hitting the Patron....good times both days.

I had a great time at night 2 because of the cool people I met and the company I was with. I thought I was just a bit too tired to enjoy Night II properly, but listening to the boot confirmed what I suspected - an off night. I'm sure plenty of people thought it was great, I'm just not one of 'em.
    Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,146
    i found the mix to be one of the best since the 2003 bootlegs. i've said it here before, but all the stars aligned during that 03' cycle. best mix of crowd and band ever. it hasn't been the same since. the saint louis 2003 show is one of the most solid boots i've heard sound-wise.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    i found the mix to be one of the best since the 2003 bootlegs. i've said it here before, but all the stars aligned during that 03' cycle. best mix of crowd and band ever. it hasn't been the same since. the saint louis 2003 show is one of the most solid boots i've heard sound-wise.

Listen to the '03 Philly show at the Spectrum - PERFECT.

And like I said, that's when they used drop mics. A LOT better.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,146
    Listen to the '03 Philly show at the Spectrum - PERFECT.

And like I said, that's when they used drop mics. A LOT better.

cool. i had no idea they'd used drop mikes back then. i will check out the show on pearljamlive.com
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    STT757 wrote:
    Without a doubt the 2003 bootlegs are the best quality, who ever did the 2003 bootleg series I hope the guys will bring them back for future tours.

yes, yes, yes..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    rxtasy wrote:

I agree 100% That is one of the reasons that the MSG 1 boot that I have from this tour is my fav out of the 5 I have...because you can actually hear the crowd a little.
    6/14/08 - Bonnaroo
    6/19/08 - Camden 1
    6/24/08 - MSG 1
    8/07/08 - Newark, EV Solo
    6/11/09 - Upper Darby, EV Solo
    10/28/09 - Spectrum 2
    10/30/09 - Spectrum 3
    10/31/09 - Spectrum 4