Options

Eddie Vedder captivating in solo stand

bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
edited April 2008 in The Porch
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080414/music_nm/review_music_vedder_dc_1
Reuters news

The two shows I was lucky enough to attend were amazing and I am counting the days until June......
“This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    nice review, thanks for posting.
    not sure i agree with this part: "While he has yet to write a song that has as much resonance as the work of his heroes" but overall very cool.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    No that last sentence is total bullshit, but otherwise great review and nice read.

this not writing great songs really pisses me off though, I mean most people love Dylans work, and springsteens for that matter, but give it 15 years and the 'time' impact (which generally decides what is a great song) and the majority of Vedders work will be up there.....(I know its not all Vedder, in that I also mean Pearl Jam). It doesnt take a genius to realise that a greatest hits package like rearviewmirror is clearly laden with absolute quality right the way through.

His songwriting credentials are fucking top drawer, and although this is bound to be controversial, pisses all over the great Bob Dylan anyday, who for me remains overrated because he can write a nice bit of poetry (for the record, and despite critical acclaim his last record was utter fucking garabage for me).

And to finish off Vedder live against Dylan??? Go figure, I often can't even make out what Dylans saying or for that matter what hes singing. By the way I only use Dylan as a reference point.
  • Options
    scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    pdalowsky wrote:
    His songwriting credentials are fucking top drawer, and although this is bound to be controversial, pisses all over the great Bob Dylan anyday, who for me remains overrated because he can write a nice bit of poetry (for the record, and despite critical acclaim his last record was utter fucking garabage for me).

And to finish off Vedder live against Dylan??? Go figure, I often can't even make out what Dylans saying or for that matter what hes singing. By the way I only use Dylan as a reference point.

Are you serious? Dylan helped to create "rock and roll" as we know it today. Pearl Jam is great, but even the sum of all the members isn't as good as one Bob Dylan.
  • Options
    stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    Bob Dylan at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965.... landmark
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
  • Options
    joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    stylo17 wrote:
    Bob Dylan at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965.... landmark

My loyalties are to Pearl Jam. But Dylans influence on culture and modern music is rivaled only by the Beatles and they were writing jingles until he told them to write deeper stuff.