Options

Pearl Jam needs to do something different for the next record..

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited May 2008 in The Porch
They have to keep fresh. Avocado was awesome, but it was nothing new. It was pretty conservative to their style..

Looking back, Vs., No Code and Binaural seemed to be pushing the envolope when compared to their predecessors.. They were albums that you threw in for the first time when they came out and were surprised.

I don't know about you guys, but I want to hear something fresh!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    im with you, i dont like the whole going back to their roots stuff. they need to experiment more!
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    i wish they'd take a nod from the bands that eddie says he loves so much, new and old ... and i mean like Sleater-Kinney and X (the band) and get a little "weird" with it.

I mean, keep it punk-ish, and keep the songs about something, but get "expirimental" with the structure more ...

take what you did on Severed Hand and make it even more psychotic.

I dunno.

Maybe its asking for what can't be done.
    They have their sound and that's it.

But i always thought that after all this seemingly public fuss over bands like Sleater-Kinney ... bands that don't really adhere to the "mainstream formula", that Pearl Jam might actualy try that approach themselves.

Perhaps they just don't have that in them.
    Creatures of habit?

Never thought you'd ...

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    i wish they'd take a nod from the bands that eddie says he loves so much, new and old ... and i mean like Sleater-Kinney and X (the band) and get a little "weird" with it.

I mean, keep it punk-ish, and keep the songs about something, but get "expirimental" with the structure more ...

take what you did on Severed Hand and make it even more psychotic.

I dunno.

Maybe its asking for what can't be done.
    They have their sound and that's it.

But i always thought that after all this seemingly public fuss over bands like Sleater-Kinney ... bands that don't really adhere to the "mainstream formula", that Pearl Jam might actualy try that approach themselves.

Creatures of habit?

Never thought you'd ...

:D

Anything but not Sleater-Kinney. Yikes!!!
  • Options
    fragileblakefragileblake Posts: 718
    Anything but not Sleater-Kinney. Yikes!!!

Still stuck in the 90's yeah?
  • Options
    Personally, I'd love a big, tuneful, almost over-produced record this time, with a strings, percussion etc. feel to it. Kind of where they were going with the Love Reign O'er Me cover or Eddie's Hard Sun. They touched on it on Binaural too, with Sleight of Hand, Parting Ways etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love the raw stuff, but it'd be interesting to see them take a shot at something different, and which they are definitely capable of.
  • Options
    HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    Personally, I'd love a big, tuneful, almost over-produced record this time, with a strings, percussion etc. feel to it. Kind of where they were going with the Love Reign O'er Me cover or Eddie's Hard Sun. They touched on it on Binaural too, with Sleight of Hand, Parting Ways etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love the raw stuff, but it'd be interesting to see them take a shot at something different, and which they are definitely capable of.

I feel exactly the opposite!
    I seem to enjoy them most when they dirty things up. The gritty sound they have on Riot Act, I think, is their best stuff.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • Options
    tylerj1462tylerj1462 Posts: 40
    How about a concept album based on the upcoming Hobbit movie? Instrumental album? Cover album? Scratch and sniff album?
    "so this is how liberty ends, with thunderous applause"
  • Options
    danedane Posts: 1,062
    There's a thread inhere somewhere with a link to an article (Rolling stone, I think), where Jeff says that they have hired Brendan O'Brien again and that he has already taken them in a new direction.
    That was a relief to read, 'cause although it feels weird to put negative words and PJ in the same sentence, I feel that "Pearl Jam" was the their weakest and it seemed as if they "stalled" a bit (feel free to flame me for that).
    IMO PJ are at their best when the rock out big time, but it needs to be well produced. I like their early stuff the best, but I don't want them to duplicate it. Each album has it's own personality, a new sound different from the last and that's what makes PJ the greatest.
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    tylerj1462 wrote:
    How about a concept album based on the upcoming Hobbit movie?

'Never thought you'd Hobbit.....!'

Sorry.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293

Creatures of habit?

Never thought you'd ...

After 06 and Immagine, I share this fear.
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009

same here, i'd love to hear this from them, especially after what Eddie did with Into the Wild
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I think we should just accept what they put out and be happy with it... not saying speculations or suggestions aren't cool but it will be a good album and it will make us all happy.
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,740
    Yea, the tone of Avocado was very aggressive, and I'm glad it sounded raw and unpolished. Maybe the next album will be a little softer which would lend itself to a little more production polish. That would be nice.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Still stuck in the 90's yeah?

Nope I just can't stand SK.
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Acoustic album and tour...that's my wish
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I have no expectations for the next album. I love the last album, but I was expecting them to really bush some boundaries with it. They have stayed relatively conservative for the past 3 albums as far as pushing the envelope is concerned, and I'd love to be taken for a completely unexpected ride on the next one. I'm sure whatever vibe the next album has, I'll love it. Aggressive, ethereal, classic rock, tribal...I don't care really.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    They have to keep fresh. Avocado was awesome, but it was nothing new. It was pretty conservative to their style..

Looking back, Vs., No Code and Binaural seemed to be pushing the envolope when compared to their predecessors.. They were albums that you threw in for the first time when they came out and were surprised.

I don't know about you guys, but I want to hear something fresh!

fresh is new

i like new

comparisons to past works are futile

hendrix is better than clapton for sure
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    BinFrog wrote:
    . They have stayed relatively conservative for the past 3 albums as far as pushing the envelope is concerned.

Avocado was pretty conservative, and in my opinion a step backwards....

I thought Binaural DID push the envelope though, it was a complete departure after Yield and I love it for that.....

Personally Im hoping for more experimental stuff too....A mix of Binaural and No Code would be ace.......

Im just praying we dont get Avocado 2.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    jessejesse Posts: 170
    brendan obrien helped them punch out 4 albums from 93-98 they were all very different and probably their highest qaulity albums to date

so lets hope they take off from where they left with obrien and hurry the fuck up and get the new album out
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I was glad for them to go back to their roots with Avocado after the dull, lifeless Riot Act. To me, Avocado was a breath of fresh air. But if they go in another direction with this new one, I am good with that too. Can't wait!

Edit: Post 4000! Whee!
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    zootownzootown Posts: 666
    Im really curious to see how the next album sounds. I think Eddie might be at the pinnacle of his creativity, as far as lyrics and songwriting. I think ITW helped him realize his potential fully. I think the biggest thing will be how collaborative the band is on the next record, or will Eddie want/be allowed to have even more control over things. Stone can still rip a mean riff and no one doubts the integrity of the band and O'Brien's skill at the mixing board, but I would think that Eddie has positioned himself as the "bottom line" with how the finished product sounds.
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    The new album needs didgerido solos, as well as harp interludes between each song.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    i'm 100% with you. i thought avocado was pretty bland. the album just never had a "feel" to it, you know?
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Pearl Jam goes where the music takes them and I follow. They don't need to try and do anything but continue to create.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    I like what Adam Kasper did with the band but, i'm glad Brendan is back on board. I'd like to see a little more refined sound as well for this one. Just to be a little different, i'm not talking slick pop production but, a little more cohesiveness is in order. Love Reign O'er Me is a good example of what i'm talking about.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • Options
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    MCG wrote:
    Pearl Jam goes where the music takes them and I follow. They don't need to try and do anything but continue to create.

i like that thought a lot. i'm sure they don't consciously go in to make a certain type of record and that i bet the process is pretty natural.

rawk on :)
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    im with you, i dont like the whole going back to their roots stuff. they need to experiment more!

They HAVEN'T gone back to their roots. That's what people say but are you gonna seriously tell me Yield is like Ten? No way! Where's the blind fury?
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906

I disagree. Pearl Jam is a live band. Adding all of those instruments would make for a great studio album but i dont think it would translate well live. I think they should experiment though, just with only the instruments they use. I have a strong feeling this next album will have alot of experimentations.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Army & NavyArmy & Navy Posts: 120
    zootown wrote:
    Im really curious to see how the next album sounds. I think Eddie might be at the pinnacle of his creativity, as far as lyrics and songwriting. I think ITW helped him realize his potential fully. I think the biggest thing will be how collaborative the band is on the next record, or will Eddie want/be allowed to have even more control over things. Stone can still rip a mean riff and no one doubts the integrity of the band and O'Brien's skill at the mixing board, but I would think that Eddie has positioned himself as the "bottom line" with how the finished product sounds.

Spot on Sir! This will be Vedder's album I think. I doubt we'll see a song entirely written by Cameron popping up. I hope Eddie doesn't try and tailor his songs towards a 'Pearl Jam' style, thus losing the focus of the song. ITW felt a very natural album. No Code & Yield also had that vibe.

For me their first 5 albums are the pinnacle of Pearl Jam. 3 so-so albums in a row is making feel that we may have seen the best that this band has, in terms of 'new' songs.

I have to counter that though by saying as a live band I thought they had never been better in 06. (although Mike was getting abit flashy)
  • Options
    Big EdBig Ed Posts: 331
    ....will make us all happy. Diff'rent Strokes for Diff'rent Folks.
    Ignoring Rusted Signs