Options

Pearl Jam needs to do something different for the next record..

2»

Comments

• Options
    I disagree. Pearl Jam is a live band. Adding all of those instruments would make for a great studio album but i dont think it would translate well live. I think they should experiment though, just with only the instruments they use. I have a strong feeling this next album will have alot of experimentations.

Its not as hard to pull off strings and such live as you make it seem. That's what Boom is there for. He can program all sorts of things into his keyboard.

Have you seen Radiohead live? They have no problem pulling off there weirder more experimental songs from Kid A and Amnesiac live. Sometimes it just takes making a different arrangement for the live version compared to the studio version.

I would love PJ to try some more experimental stuff but I mean a real departure. Not the Vitology to No Code departure. I want more of a Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby departure. Or a The Bends to a OK Computer to a Kid A departure. I know the boys have it in them but they need to challenge themselves a bit more.

BUT i did love the Avocado so as long as the songs are well written performed with ENERGY (I'm looking at you Riot Act) I'll be happy.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,838
    amen bro. I'd like another Binaural / No Code-type record in terms of experimentation. Lets get some strings on the albums......some voice distortion, etc.!!!
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    Vital73Vital73 Posts: 34
    MattyJoe wrote:
    They HAVEN'T gone back to their roots. That's what people say but are you gonna seriously tell me Yield is like Ten? No way! Where's the blind fury?

I think the fury has been replaced with concern. I mean, most of the early songs came from a place that Eddie and the band don't live in anymore. They have grown up, we have grown up. The music reflects the band and where they are in their own lives. Maybe the anger they felt in their own lives has been replaced with an anger and concern for their kids futures.

I think Avacodo was a notice to everyone that they are not done, not by a long shot. They have a lot left to offer us as long as we don't long for what was. I for one look forward to what will be.

I am very enthusiastic that whatever they produce will be another gem in it's own right. We go wrong I think when we compare everything to our own favorites, rather than on the material's own merits. I have my favorites but I have love for all of their work.

My two cents....

See you all in D.C. & NYC!!
    I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm
    Oh, I'll keep takin' punches until their will grows tired
    I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind
    Hey, I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    They should make it really dark like Vs. They should let Stone just come up with tons of hard, grungy stuff and work it into songs. Too much Eddie on the last few albums.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    distantsundistantsun Posts: 265
    obviously a creative force needs to do what comes naturally, so we can't dictate which direction the band will go or should go. that being said, i'm at the point where the studio albums do very little for me and i am all about the live show. they don't have to make another album. it's been done.
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
  • Options
    RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    distantsun wrote:
    obviously a creative force needs to do what comes naturally, so we can't dictate which direction the band will go or should go. that being said, i'm at the point where the studio albums do very little for me and i am all about the live show. they don't have to make another album. it's been done.

How dare you?!?
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    RockKing wrote:
    How dare you?!?

hilarious.

i know on some level, if you look deep within yourself, you agree.
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:
    hilarious.

i know on some level, if you look deep within yourself, you agree.

"You know how to cut to the core of me, distantsun."

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    Unless Pearl Jam really does do something different for once. Then I'm sincerely excited about it. But I could do without another Riot Act or PJ8.

• Options
    i want to clarify, rockking.

pj8 was good. it's just that...i've heard it already. you know?
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:
    i want to clarify, rockking.

pj8 was good. it's just that...i've heard it already. you know?

No, I agree, it was fine. But I don't need another one. I want something different. Something that.....I dunno.....pushes the boundaries somehow. Experiments into sounds they've never done before. Something to remind us all how great they really were/are.

• Options
    RockKing wrote:
    No, I agree, it was fine. But I don't need another one. I want something different. Something that.....I dunno.....pushes the boundaries somehow. Experiments into sounds they've never done before. Something to remind us all how great they really were/are.

to me, i always see jeff tweedy on that other side of the EV coin. they're both extremely powerful songwriters and lyricists but what tweedy has that EV doesn't have (or at the very least, what he has not shown us to have) is this creative restlessness to take things in places that he's never been before. it's not always successful but it's always a departure and that is something.
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:
    to me, i always see jeff tweedy on that other side of the EV coin. they're both extremely powerful songwriters and lyricists but what tweedy has that EV doesn't have (or at the very least, what he has not shown us to have) is this creative restlessness to take things in places that he's never been before. it's not always successful but it's always a departure and that is something.

Someone who sounds like you said the same thing somewhere else once, and I didn't get it at the time. This time I totally got it. Good point.

• Options
    RockKing wrote:
    Someone who sounds like you said the same thing somewhere else once, and I didn't get it at the time. This time I totally got it. Good point.

are you mocking me?
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:
    are you mocking me?

No. I seriously get it now.

• Options
    Army & NavyArmy & Navy Posts: 120
    distantsun wrote:

True, but have you listened to the last 2 Wilco records? There's experimentation, and then there's just writing crappier songs. "Being There" was their finest album, and that's when Tweedy stuck to his original Alt country sound, but created something huge & original in its own way
  • Options
    True, but have you listened to the last 2 Wilco records? There's experimentation, and then there's just writing crappier songs. "Being There" was their finest album, and that's when Tweedy stuck to his original Alt country sound, but created something huge & original in its own way

a ghost is born has "crappier songs"?

you lost your mind.
  • Options
    also, the above post is totally beside the point. my point was that wilco takes it in different directions but they never lose what makes them essentially...well, wilco.

pearl jam cranks out the same meat and potatoes with each release. everyone likes meat and potatoes but at the end of the day it's still meat and potatoes.

ya dig?
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    i would be THRILLLLLED with another no code or binaural.

gimme a whole album of "sleight of hand's". haha
    i agree .. i would love some super creative crafty stuff
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford