Options

The United Palace

BMoore09BMoore09 Posts: 177
edited July 2008 in The Porch
I've seen a lot of threads here with people sharing experiences from the venue in Chicago, Montreal, etc...but not much from the NYC venue. I've seen all the pictures from the website, and it looks amazing. Does it have that "intimate" feel like the others?

Who's actually been there?
West Palm Beach I, WPB II, Tampa, New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville 2000
West Palm Beach 2003
Tampa 2003
The VIC - Chicago 2007
West Palm Beach 2008
Tampa 2008
Ed Solo 2008 NYC
Philly 10/30/2009
Columbus 2010
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    InnocenceInnocence Posts: 6
    I'm kind of a lurker around here, but I'll add my .02 about this place.

I saw Bjork at the UPA in May of last year and sat in literally THE LAST ROW of the entire place. Last row, on the aisle, in the top balcony. I love Bjork and was stoked to have some room to dance around, as there was a walkway behind our seats. My big complaint is that from all the way up there, the acoustics left a lot to be desired. However, I was happy as a clam to be there (Bjork ranks up there for me, in my top 5 of "DON'T CARE WHERE THE HELL MY SEATS ARE, AS LONG AS I AM IN THE BUILDING") and if the eV shows were not on a Monday and Tuesday, I would have considered trekkin' it uptown for them. I decided to go with the Newark show instead (could really only afford one show after attending a bunch of PJ shows), as it's a Thursday and I don't have work the following day.

Keep in mind though, about the acoustics...my only point of reference here is Bjork. Her musical style can be quite the mindfuck and perhaps that venue isn't properly suited for electronic music, a choir, multiple drumsets, etc. etc. etc.

I do remember a massive crowd of people out there on the street waiting to get inside way before the first opener. I don't know if they have done anything to make it better organized. Maybe someone else has been to a show there more recently than May of '07 and can give their input. Allow for some time if you're looking to check out Liam Finn.

The venue itself could use a little TLC, but it kind of adds to the charm of it being one of those "only in New York" kind of places.

Enjoy! :)
  • Options
    InnocenceInnocence Posts: 6
    ...as for your question about the intimacy of the venue - it does feel intimate, it does feel special, it does feel like you are there sharing this experience with a select few and you will cherish it forever.

Nothing like the A train on the way home, LOL. That's when you'll realize that the venue is pretty effing large, as everyone fills the subway to capacity afterwards!

Seriously though, I'd much rather be on a packed train of Ved fans than a packed train of Bjork fans. MUCH different crowd!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I saw Neil Young there in December
    Dont believe the website.
    The place is a dump, the fire dept shut it down for hour and half before the neil show I saw.
    One bathroom for everybody and parking is a nightmare.

It does have some character and the sound system is pretty good though.

Ill be heading to NJPAC thank you very much.

EDIT:
    Another good thing is that you can go to Dinosaur BBQ before the show. Great wings!
  • Options
    we saw Iggy and The Stooges (the best show of last year), Black Crowes x2, Neil Young sat gig...Sound was great for all- the venue is Beautiful to look at..security a bit tight ass, but for a sit down acoustic gig who really cares- smoke a bowl outside. Hallways are a bit crowded before show but they do have a Lot of beer stands on the upper level. don't drive, take the subway. neighborhood is totally safe- dont believe the danger hype from people who arent from here.

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
  • Options
    i thought the sound was great, and the theater was beautiful, but crowd control is tough and security is tight. I have never seen EV solo (Yet!) so I don't know if there is a break, prob isn't, right? But anyway, during the NY shows the stairs and halls were non-negotiable, it is not worth trying to get to the bathrooms during that time.

I loved the United Palace, though, in terms of seeing a show, it is an old movie theater and has a very intimate feel and nice vibe, Neil seemed very relaxed in there and very psyched to be there, bet Eddie will too, but what the hell do I know. The neighborhood is fine, btw, not scary as some would have you believe, and I am a chickenshit. But the parking garage scene around show time is crazy. There are a couple of open lots a few blocks away (and also parking on the street) if you get there early enough, the out is so much easier. We had pre-Neil show parties down the street at Coogan's, an old tavern/irish pub kind of place, and it was great.

This is my first post here, so hi. I just saw PJ for the first time on their own turf, and was blown away (though had seen them at BSB). Very psyched to be going to see Eddie for the three NY area shows, if I can get a ticket to NY #1. Have tix for the other two.
  • Options
    SuzieMSuzieM Posts: 113
    Get_Right wrote:
    One bathroom for everybody and parking is a nightmare.

For reals? Does that mean I have to stop all liquid consumption 2 hours before the show? Rats.
  • Options
    BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    I saw Van Morrison there in the fall, and I loved the place, I thought the sound and the atmosphere were great. Its like an old timey movie theater with a balcony and high cathedral ceilings. I've been looking for a good show to go back to since.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Options
    StoneyStoney Posts: 4
    I saw Neil in December from the 4th row and was blown away by the place. The woodwork and craftsmanship in the theater is amazing. It was so intimate, people were having conversations with Neil between songs. The parking afterward was a nightmare. It took over an hour to get the car and it started to snow. Follow other post suggestions about the train or parking a few blocks away. The markee read "Sunday: reverend Ike.
  • Options
    digitmckeedigitmckee Posts: 139
    Why bother driving. Its a bitch. If you are taking the subway, take the A train to 175 and the UP is 1 block east. If you take the 1 train, get off at 168 and just walk up broadway like 7 streets. I would suggest taking the #1 or the A to 168 and head to one of the bars on the way to the UP. There are some new restaurants and like the other post, coogans is there.
    Too many shows to list:
    From my first show in Hawaii when they opened for RHCP to upcoming 2016 MSG and Wrigley. Seen them in every continent except Africa and Antarctica.