Options

How many Shows Have you Been to Where you Were Too Drunk to Remember?

Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Well, anyone been to any shows where they either just pre-partied to hard or drank too many overpriced beer to remember the show? I wouldn't say I remember nothing, but there are at least 2 shows I recall. Toronto 98 and Cleveland 06'.

Toronto - well I went with some of my brothers’ friends. I've never tried that stuff called "Rev", but it went down so easily (little did I realize the stuff is like 7% and goes down easier than a beer for some people). After lots of beers and a few Rev's I was pretty gone. A good show, but very foggy.

Cleveland - we got into town early and realized what a shitty part of town it was. It was a nice day and we all cracked open some beers pretty early in the afternoon. One beer led to another, which led us to a couple of bars before the show, and some cheap shitty beer inside the venue. Man I was smashed - I think I remember Comatose - maybe because I pretty much was comatose : )

The plan was never to get drunk, but sometimes it just hits you.

Anyone else got any stories?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I would say I have gotten less drunk/intoxicated at each show I have been to below in chronological order.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    I always remember something when I'm really, really drunk, but two shows come to mind that I was wasted at...

Ft. Lauderdale 1996 and Birmingham, AL 1998 (3rd Row)- also my 1st two shows.

Sure, I'd love to remember more than I really do, but what're you gonna do? :)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    ovechkin8ovechkin8 Posts: 491
    i've never really been anything more than slightly buzzed for a pj show, and i've seen about 35 of them. i don't even like smoking green at a pj show.

disco biscuits shows are a different story....
  • Options
    PrlJam27PrlJam27 Colonia, NJ Posts: 346
    Not that I didnt remember it, but the day after the DC show in '06 I remember wishing I didnt get so hammered. Was pounding shots of Tullamore Dew with Eric from Georgia. Probably did a few too many. Oh well, it was still a good time. And dont worry I'm not a sloppy drunk. Not one of those jerkoffs that find the need to piss on the floor.
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    zero
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    MKTerpMKTerp Posts: 66
    PrlJam27 wrote:
    Not that I didnt remember it, but the day after the DC show in '06 I remember wishing I didnt get so hammered. Was pounding shots of Tullamore Dew with Eric from Georgia. Probably did a few too many. Oh well, it was still a good time. And dont worry I'm not a sloppy drunk. Not one of those jerkoffs that find the need to piss on the floor.

That describes me at MSG 1 '03. I had the time of my life, but the details were a bit of a blur. I went home that night thinking that Wishlist was the best version I ever heard, but couldn't remember why. Good thing we have bootlegs (and a dvd)...

On a related note, Irving Plaza is a complete blur even though I was sober. It sounds corny, but I was really just high on the experience being right up front.
  • Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 785
    I was at a show?
  • Options
    pjhunz28pjhunz28 Posts: 206
    zero
    9/26/96, 9/15/98, 8/29/00, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 7/23/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    EV
    Boston 1
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    zero
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    jxchambjxchamb Posts: 55
    Zero. I do a shot or two in the car and that's it for the night. I like to be clear headed for concerts (especially Pearl Jam)
  • Options
    VedderBlueVedderBlue Posts: 40
    None, what would be the point?
    45 Shows & Counting!!!
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    The second summerfest show when they were opening for Tom Petty. The Sox-Cubs were playing that day and we spent about 6 or 7 hours at a bar watching the game before the show. Barely remembered the show. At least they were only the opener and it wasn't a full PJ concert I got too fucked up for.....
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    no, i like to enjoy the concert!
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    i dig ALL of you but WHY do some of you get so hammered at a PEARL JAM show? If you really REALLY like them and they are your favorite, wouldnt you want to remember the show entirely and rock out without falling over or spilling your drink or things like that? Any other show/band fine get WASSSSSSTEDDDD but PEARL JAM? Now AFTER or BEFORE the show.....thats a different story! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    If you were too drunk to remember, were you really ever there?

I don't drink, so zero for me.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    mateymatemateymate Posts: 291
    I am not a big fan of drinking too much before shows as I like to remember everything. At Reading Festival I had a heavy night before so I think my first beer was at a hotel after the show! Paris and Wembley possibly one or two quiet ones, I tend to enjoy having a drink and a chat back in the hotel/bar afterwards, and plus a lot of the beer at venues is overpriced and not very good!
    Reading 2006, Paris 2006, Wembley 2007, Manchester 2009, London 2009, Dublin, Belfast, London 2010, Manchester x 2 2012, London x 2 2018.
  • Options
    At the Birmingham '03 show, my husband and I waited it line for about 5 hours to get our tickets. It was about 35 degrees and drizzling. After we secured tickets, we got a 12 pack of Budlight at gas station. We took it back to the parking lot and I drank 6 in about 1.5 hours (P.S. I am only 5'2 and about 110 lbs). I was so sick, I stayed in a fetal position during the entire Sleater-Kinney performance. Luckily, after a few trips to the restroom, I felt better by the time Pearl Jam came out.
    "...thoughts arrive like butterflies..."
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    Zero. I'm always aware at a concert since it's unsafe not to have my wits about me.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Zero. I'm always aware at a concert since it's unsafe not to have my wits about me.

The irony being that it'd be a lot safer if others didn't get so out of control. The air guitar guy from last night that I've referenced a few times on here was cool, but there were moments when he was walking that tightrope and almost became asshole drunk. He had a few people worried for sure.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    I might have a beer or two at a show, but I would never, EVER allow myself to get drunk at any concert.

What's the point? I can get drunk and not remember anything at home. Why spend money on a ticket? What a fucking waste.

Plus, I can't stand going to a show and being next to or around some guy (it's pretty much ALWAYS a guy) who's too drunk to know how irritating he is. Obviously there are varying degrees of this, but regardless, I have nothing but contempt for anyone who goes to a show, gets drunk, and thus proceeds to make the show less enjoyable for those around him.

If I am ever "that guy" please shoot me.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    Reddev10Reddev10 Posts: 63
    I remember every concert because I never get drunk at a Pearl Jam concert. I want to remember everything. And I also don't want to have to miss anything by having to go the bathroom every ten minutes like everyone in the pit row 4 had to both nights at Camden. I had to keep moving to let people get by all night.
    Terry
    www.myspace.com/terryphilly
  • Options
    RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    Reddev10 wrote:
    I remember every concert because I never get drunk at a Pearl Jam concert. I want to remember everything. And I also don't want to have to miss anything by having to go the bathroom everything ten minutes like everyone in the pit row 4 had to both nights at Camden. I had to keep moving to let people get by all night.

Ditto for me especially the bathroom part. I don't want to miss anything going to the bathroom so I do not drink beer at concerts. I can't see spending $74 and travel money to not remember anything. I cannot deny being high though.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    None... If I'm going to get too boozed I do it somewhere where it doesn't matter... home... the bar... not a concert... and most certainly not in my knitting circle.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Toronto - well I went with some of my brothers’ friends. I've never tried that stuff called "Rev", but it went down so easily (little did I realize the stuff is like 7% and goes down easier than a beer for some people). After lots of beers and a few Rev's I was pretty gone. A good show, but very foggy.

I recall that day being really hot and muggy, so that may have contributed to it. I avoided the booze that day and instead got really baked for the show.

Aw, good old Molson Park shows, I do miss that venue, what a great place during the 1990s
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    MotorHeadMotorHead Posts: 50
    SENROCK! wrote:
    i dig ALL of you but WHY do some of you get so hammered at a PEARL JAM show? If you really REALLY like them and they are your favorite, wouldnt you want to remember the show entirely and rock out without falling over or spilling your drink or things like that? Any other show/band fine get WASSSSSSTEDDDD but PEARL JAM? Now AFTER or BEFORE the show.....thats a different story! :D

I agree with ya! Drink a couple before. It makes the music better!
    Then get back to your hotel or home, put PJ on and get wasted!
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,302
    i always enjoy getting a nice buzz on for PJ...never have been smashed for one of their shows though.

i think the only time i ever got WASTED at a show was CSNY in '06. My bro snuck in a bottle of captain, plus i was downing 24 oz beers. i made it through the first set, but a little ways into the acoustic set, i was out. i was passed out for probably 45 or so minutes (and i did puke, but we were in a fairly uncrowded lawn, so it wasn't like i was puking on other people). anyways, somehow the first chords of "let's impeach the president" started playing and it actually registered in my passed out brain. i jumped up, yelling "i'll get up for anti-bush propaganda any time!!!!" the rest of the show was great.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    pearl jam shows? just enough to be hazy about the setlists in toronto 92, barrie 98 and albany 06. all shows? i'm no longer welcome in philadelphia after the last westerberg show.
  • Options
    I always have a beer in hand but never too drunk to not remember.

Funny story though, I saw PJ for two nights in a row when he played with Tom Petty in Denver. The first night, after PJ had finished playing and Tom had gone on, the people sitting next to us passed over a joint. I've never been a big smoker, but this stuff was as potent as I've ever had. I was so paranoid that I thought if I sat down every one would know. "THEY'LL KNOW!!! THEY'LL ALL KNOW!!!

I'll stick with beer thank you.
    My day beats your year.
    -Lou Reed

Pearl Jam Apple
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgq1ooPguSo
  • Options
    NH NFYNH NFY Posts: 23
    I've been to 14 shows and 13 of them I just had a fun buzz going.
    However, I was shit-faced for the Montreal 05 show. I remember there was a big unofficial fan club meet up at this place called Grumpy's before the show. The group I was with showed up around 4 and it was just impossible not to start pounding beer in that place especially with PJ blasting in the background.
    "We won't be playing an acoustic version of 'Blood' or anything..."
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    NH NFY wrote:
    I've been to 14 shows and 13 of them I just had a fun buzz going.
    However, I was shit-faced for the Montreal 05 show. I remember there was a big unofficial fan club meet up at this place called Grumpy's before the show. The group I was with showed up around 4 and it was just impossible not to start pounding beer in that place especially with PJ blasting in the background.

Montreal is a great city to get drunk in, great atmosphere
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2