Merry Xmas and Happy Holidays

mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
edited January 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
Cheers to all the M&G nerds. May your stockings be filled with drumsticks, picks and strings, and the tree be stuffed with your weapon of choice!
...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    back atcha MIG, and to everyone else here. happy festivus, and whatever other holidays you are celebrating this season...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    Merry Christmas to all, hope you all have a safe holiday with family & friends :D
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Merry Christmas!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Merry xmas to all the regulars in these parts.

I suppose this would be as good a place as any to check in with our gear gifts. My mom snagged me an ISP Decimator. Too late to try it out tonight.

Also got some Bose headphones. Definitely the best set of headphones I've used. My ipod's shuffle thought Def Lep's Rock of Ages would be a great trial for them. Gotta say it sounded great. :oops:
  • Same to everyone here on the board!!!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Merry, merry!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Right back at you guys. Hope the holiday treated you well.

Will we be posting what we recieved here too?

1. 6" Weber Anlico speaker for my Gretsch 5222
    2. Hardshell case for my grandpa's old 1952 Gibson ES-125
    3. Locking tuners for my Reverend DareDevil 290
    4. BYOC Leeds Fuzz.
    5. Heading to Lansing in two weeks to look at some used fender amps. (my gift to myself).
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • 6. Add the Build your own close Classic Overdrive pedal too....
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i got some guitar care kit/cleaning cloth stuff and a set of nut files so i can do my own detailed work on all the guitars i'm currently putting together.
  • how many guitars are you actually doing?

Also back when you were building your effects, did you you primer on your enclosures prior to painting? Any tips from those learning experiences?

how many guitars are you actually doing?

Also back when you were building your effects, did you you primer on your enclosures prior to painting? Any tips from those learning experiences?

i still have to do the nut finishing on that strat with the reverse neck and i'm building the bigsby telecaster and a 12-string tele.

as for the effects, yes, i was using primer. generally, nothing worked really well, they're all chipped and stuff. the nicest looking paint was the testor's stuff that comes in little spray cans but it's not durable at all.

take the enclosure, give it a good once over with steel wool, prime it, paint it and then wait a few days for it to harden fully. i never waited long enough and it always got messed up some how. i generally don't seem to have the required patience to do things correctly.
  • exhausted wrote:
    how many guitars are you actually doing?

i still have to do the nut finishing on that strat with the reverse neck and i'm building the bigsby telecaster and a 12-string tele.

as for the effects, yes, i was using primer. generally, nothing worked really well, they're all chipped and stuff. the nicest looking paint was the testor's stuff that comes in little spray cans but it's not durable at all.

take the enclosure, give it a good once over with steel wool, prime it, paint it and then wait a few days for it to harden fully. i never waited long enough and it always got messed up some how. i generally don't seem to have the required patience to do things correctly.

The 12 string will be cool as can be. And as soon as you said those I finally remembered you talking about it.

I too don't have any patience at all. I try to force myself too but it never happens. I am really considering having a friend of mine polish the enclosures at his work than adding a clear coat, and calling it a day. I'm starting to leave even more to that. That or maybe taking them to get powder coated instead. But that just costs money.

As always thanks for the help

i really like the brushed aluminum look so the last few i just scrubbed with steel wool and left. sometimes i did the top decal and clearcoated that.

i'm hoping the 12-string is cool. i've solved the lack of left-handed bridge options with one of these.
    http://www.guitarfetish.com/Cutaway-Wil ... _1805.html

load the primary strings through the body and the octave strings through the top.

i'll change the saddles to threaded ones that will hold each string in place. obviously giving something up in intonation but it's my only option.

fender SCNs with some 5 way switching that i found that gives neck/bridge out of phase and neck with a low end cut as the extra tones. neck will be a warmoth with rosewood board and just finished in tung oil.

1-3/4" nut vs the 1-5/8" of the rickenbacker so maybe i'll be able to play this one.

the refinishing project is not going well at all so the future of that one is uncertain.
  • Best of luck on the 12 string project. I actually like the tung oil idea for the neck. The entire body being finished with that could be very cool too.

Best of luck on the 12 string project. I actually like the tung oil idea for the neck. The entire body being finished with that could be very cool too.

just started with just tung oil on an ash body and it looks like it's going to look very cool. the ash is extremely grainy so the tung oil doesn't change the overall colour much but the grain starts to look almost 3D. my understanding is that the tung oil starts to darken over time.

this is the raw body.
    t2264c.jpg

refin efforts were a complete failure. :cry:
  • That's one beautiful piece of wood!
    yeah, now that i've seen how oil looks on raw wood, i highly doubt i'll ever buy another finished body. i just cut my project costs in half. :lol:
  • So your saying it didn't work out well for you?

didn't work out at all. the amount of clear coating required to provide enough thickness to be able to sand smooth, and then the actual process of sanding smooth and trying to get a decent semi-gloss finish was just ridiculous impossible for my limited space and resources.

i'll never try it again. i see how why oil finishes are so popular.
  • I can understand the cost's assoicated with finishes. They are labor intensive for sure, and you really need some skill.

I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations and lack of success. My two pedals (new dramedy coming to NBC) enclosures are still untouched. But the more I think about it I think they are being sent off to a buddy of mines to have them polished and be done with it.

so this gives an indication of the amount of gloss possible with polymerized tung oil. i was surprised.

this is about 7 coats. 5 done by applying and then wiping off after 5-10 minutes which seals the wood nicely and gives a matte finish. then 2 thin coats where i'm letting it dry without wiping which leaves the gloss.

i sanded lightly between each.

the grain was never filled so you can see feel it. it still feels like wood rather than the typical perfectly smooth guitar. this is what i was going for.

tung oil is so easy to work with. very hard to screw up.
    http://lh6.ggpht.com/_G6CIMke3zfA/TSieC ... G_0596.jpg
    http://lh6.ggpht.com/_G6CIMke3zfA/TSieC ... G_0594.jpg

the tung oil turned the overall finish into this nice, light honey shade too. i'm really happy with it.
  • Well the decision was made, the pedal enclosures are off to my buddies machine shop. he is going to polish them. I'll add the stickers and clear coat them. If I don't like it after time, I will re-prep them and send them off to the powder coater

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Damn Ex, that's a good-lookin' piece of ash. (get it?)

Seriously, it's turning out pretty sweet. I vote for skirted amp knobs on the control plate!

Some day I'll have the time, space, tools, and gumption to undertake my Tele build. I hope.

Keep posting the pix so we can see how it comes together!
    good thinking on the amp knobs. it ties things together nicely.

almost there. because i have two builds on the go i'm missing some parts. ie. an output jack.
    photo.JPG
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    exhausted wrote:

Does the arm of the Bigsby clear the knobs? In that pic, it sorta looks tight. It does look good, though.
    tons of clearance, yeah.
  • Well the decision was made, the pedal enclosures are off to my buddies machine shop. he is going to polish them. I'll add the stickers and clear coat them. If I don't like it after time, I will re-prep them and send them off to the powder coater

I wish I had the determination to really finish my pedals. Mine are all still bare aluminum.
    exhausted wrote:

almost there. because i have two builds on the go i'm missing some parts. ie. an output jack.
    photo.JPG

That really looks like it's going to turn out amazing. Great body. That's a one piece, right?
    no, it's two. they just did a really good job with the join. it's dead centre and hard to see on the top side.
  • exhausted wrote:

photo.JPG

Okay the finish looks fantastic. Was it the clear coats you were happy about?

Really really looks great.