Options

Pearl Jam are doing it just like Grateful Dead did

Comments

• Options
    satch.silsatch.sil Posts: 5
    ss258 wrote:
    Q: What did the the one Deadhead say to the other Deadhead when they ran out of pot?

A:This music sucks!

(just a joke to lighten the discussion... so chill out!)
  • Options
    san pedro wrote:
    damn, you just reminded me of the 1988 laguna seca run! (china cat>crazyfingers>rider>playin!) that was a great weekend! the august 1991 shoreline run was awesome too! dark star in the first set! scarlet>victim>fire! (with bruce hornsby no less!) when hornsby was with them i think he pushed them to play alot better than they were. laguna seca would be a great place to see pearl jam. they could invite some of their friends to play during the day, like ben harper,jack johnson, chris cornell, eddie could do an acoustic set,etc. and there would be camping! a pearl jamboree!

Agree about Hornsby. Garcia loved him and I think they definitely motivated each other. That first set at Giants stadium, where they opened the show with Eyes of the World, was a perfect example.
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    i concur with all points haha
    :rolleyes:
    Jerry died before you were born.
    :p
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Jesika537 wrote:
    I said it. And you need to look at the setlists before you comment. It has been played all 5 shows so far this tour and each of the last 7 shows that I have been to. So maybe you need to check your facts.

Five shows in a row does not equal every fucking night. That's all.
  • Options
    Jesika537Jesika537 Posts: 301
    Five shows in a row does not equal every fucking night. That's all.

It does for this tour... And if you check the setlists they have played it atleast the last 15 shows and maybe more, that is just where I stopped counting. Seems like every fucking night to me.
    Detroit '98 - Detroit '03 - Toledo '04 - Grand Rapids '04 - Kitchener '05 - London '05 - Grand Rapids '06 - Cleveland '06 - Detroit '06 - Chicago '07 - West Palm Beach - Tampa '08 - Toronto '09 - Indy '10 - Buffalo '10 - Toronto '11 - London '13
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Rival-67 wrote:
    For starters, how about dropping "Alive", "Even Flow", "Jeremy", "Black", "Small Town", et al from the set list for the rest of the tour?
    and courduroy and crazy mary and daughter and betterman
  • Options
    St. Stephen is an odd example given that they played it three times total after 1979 and that was during October of 1983 ( I caught two of them ).

I was at the hartford one!

Sweet show at the ole hockey rink
    I wish PJ would play there instead of dodge
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    I was at the hartford one!

Sweet show at the ole hockey rink
    I wish PJ would play there instead of dodge

The Hartford Civic Center was a big problem. I imagine things have changed, as it's been a long time, but they used to have a security team called the " A Team " that were a huge problem. I saw a dude literally get the crap beaten out of him by these goons AFTER the show was over. He was on the floor looking for a friend....clearly a capital offense.

The Dead stopped playing there for years because of these guys.

I was at that Hartford Show too....as well as the Garden when they brought it back. Good times.
  • Options
    san pedrosan pedro Posts: 169
    merkinball wrote:
    I was at that '88 run too (that's the one I was thinking of). David Lindley, Los Lobos, and the Dead. Love the idea of a Pearl Jamboree, that's a great name for it! Now, how do we go about getting this underway?
    that would be awesome if pearl jam started doing a festival style show every year or two at laguna seca (much like the moe down festival). a weekend where we can all get together and have good times and great music! we need to start a petition to the band! PEARL JAMBOREE 2009!
    "DON'T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME"
  • Options
    The Hartford Civic Center was a big problem. I imagine things have changed, as it's been a long time, but they used to have a security team called the " A Team " that were a huge problem. I saw a dude literally get the crap beaten out of him by these goons AFTER the show was over. He was on the floor looking for a friend....clearly a capital offense.

The Dead stopped playing there for years because of these guys.

I was at that Hartford Show too....as well as the Garden when they brought it back. Good times.

I know all about the a-team, I had friends who worked that gig-they took care of me whenever I went to the shows.

I remember the bushnell park fiascos more than anything at the arena-and I think that was why the dead skipped Hartford for a few tours

but they sure did play some great shows there!
  • Options
    Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210
    Patrickredeyes, as an alumni of the 78 wall of sound tour and many shows in the years after, I agree. IMO its about the fan family each maintains. It was always about the music and their fans with the Dead as it is with Pearl Jam. I will remain as faithful to PJ as I was the Dead. I find the PJ family I have met just as great as my deadhead friends who now follow PJ tours. Different styles but same altruistic hearts in love with music and true to their beliefs and fans.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    CobCob Posts: 857
    Agree about Hornsby. Garcia loved him and I think they definitely motivated each other. That first set at Giants stadium, where they opened the show with Eyes of the World, was a perfect example.

I was at that show, it was my birthday, 6/17/1991 yesterday was exactly 17 years ago. They also played New Speedway Boogie and China Doll, my best B-Day EVER, they also teased Dark Star about 6 or 7 time during the show.

A friend of mine was running a little late to the show, he started running when he could hear they were playing Eyes of the World, he thought he was way late and that they were playing the 2nd set already, only to be BLOWN AWAY when someone told him it was the 1st song.

I have seen PJ about 15 times and was Grateful Dead 169 times from 88 to 95 and yes if you listen to stuff from the 60's and 70's they play some songs 3 or 4 nights in a row. But for the most part starting in the 80's, unless the were playing new songs, they rarely played the same song two nights in a row. There will NEVER be another Grateful Dead, I LOVE Pearl Jam don't get me wrong and as for all the jokes about the drugs and acid that the fans took, it was ALWAYS about the music, I never have and never will again feel the magic I felt sometimes at a great show.

May the four winds blow you safely home.........
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Options
    FoxyMHMama wrote:
    Patrickredeyes, as an alumni of the 78 wall of sound tour and many shows in the years after, I agree. IMO its about the fan family each maintains. It was always about the music and their fans with the Dead as it is with Pearl Jam. I will remain as faithful to PJ as I was the Dead. I find the PJ family I have met just as great as my deadhead friends who now follow PJ tours. Different styles but same altruistic hearts in love with music and true to their beliefs and fans.

For me, PJ absolutely filled the concert void after JG's passing.
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Get_Right wrote:
    For me, PJ absolutely filled the concert void after JG's passing.

I agree, 100%. Different music, same vibe, less patchouli.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    zootownzootown Posts: 666
    Having seen 30+ Dead shows and somewhere around 15 PJ shows, I can say with certainty that there are some similarites with the varying setlists and the loyalty to the fans and the fanatical following each band had. The Dead didn't really experience the SUPER crazy fan situation until the mid 80's- 15-20 years into their existence.....Pearl Jam is 17 years old, so we'll see. that being said, here are some unique differences:

The Dead AVERAGED 73 shows EVERY FUCKING YEAR! I dont care who you are, that is a shit ton of shows that Pearl Jam cannot hold a candle to.

The downside of playing 70+ shows a year is that many Dead shows were just downright AWFUL! The worst Pearl Jam show is still MUCH better than the worst GD show from a musical integrity point of view.

If you know anything about Jerry and the Dead, they have been quoted as saying that some nights they butchered songs ON PURPOSE....they seemed to get off on making fans pissed off, like some punk bands used to do. Pearl Jam seem to put their best foot forward almost every night, driven to get better all the time.

Similarities:

Both Jerry and Eddie can be really nice guys, but are also notorious for being assholes at times. Jerry especially was known for this as his drug problems worsened- he could be a real dick!

They change their setlists around all the time and they play long shows.

They have fans who follow them around or do whole tours.

Both bands are capable of pulling from a very large song catalog, both covers and originals.
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Options
    I find both bands similar int he sense of it's following and audience recording policies. Other than that I see little in common. PJ is it's own entity for sure and it has borrowed from the great success of the past for sure.
  • Options
    Cob wrote:
    I was at that show, it was my birthday, 6/17/1991 yesterday was exactly 17 years ago. They also played New Speedway Boogie and China Doll, my best B-Day EVER, they also teased Dark Star about 6 or 7 time during the show.

That was a great show. I was right down front.
  • Options
    zootown wrote:

The downside of playing 70+ shows a year is that many Dead shows were just downright AWFUL! The worst Pearl Jam show is still MUCH better than the worst GD show from a musical integrity point of view.

If you know anything about Jerry and the Dead, they have been quoted as saying that some nights they butchered songs ON PURPOSE....they seemed to get off on making fans pissed off, like some punk bands used to do. Pearl Jam seem to put their best foot forward almost every night, driven to get better all the time.

Not exactly. There were plenty of off nights but AWFUL is way off. And, they certainly never butchered songs on purpose. That's silly. But, they did butcher songs sometimes. Not too frequently however. They also weren't trying to piss their fans off. Far from it.
  • Options
    TKDTKD Posts: 163
    if I need to explain it you wouldn't understand
    Im a million miles away from home and I cant find a telephone...
  • Options
    Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210
    So true Get Right. Maybe you just had to live it to really get it! Will you be in DC?
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    FoxyMHMama wrote:
    So true Get Right. Maybe you just had to live it to really get it! Will you be in DC?

unfortunately no
    camden 1, both msgs, hartford and the beacon

Ill be the one holding the sign
    "play dark star you pussies"

;)
  • Options
    TKDTKD Posts: 163
    Get_Right wrote:
    unfortunately no
    camden 1, both msgs, hartford and the beacon

Ill be the one holding the sign
    "play dark star you pussies"

;)

can I stand next to you and scream that at set break
    Im a million miles away from home and I cant find a telephone...
  • Options
    VedurenVeduren Posts: 8
    i'll never understand the constant complaining about setlists and how certain songs are overplayed.

the upcoming hartford show will be my 5th PJ show. three of the four people i'm going with have NEVER seen them and the other(my wife) has only seen PJ once. as much as i would love to hear nothing but songs i've yet to hear them play, i couldn't imagine going to a PJ show for the first time and not hearing any of those songs. i would've felt ripped off and pissed off.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Veduren wrote:
    i'll never understand the constant complaining about setlists and how certain songs are overplayed.

the upcoming hartford show will be my 5th PJ show. three of the four people i'm going with have NEVER seen them and the other(my wife) has only seen PJ once. as much as i would love to hear nothing but songs i've yet to hear them play, i couldn't imagine going to a PJ show for the first time and not hearing any of those songs. i would've felt ripped off and pissed off.

That, and their setlists are not that repetitive compared to most bands out there ... Even most of their opening acts change their sets minimally, night-to-night ... Many bands on the "cutting edge", like Radiohead, play maybe 40-45 songs a tour, if that ... We're at well over 60 now, and its five shows in.
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Wow this thread kinda grew a bit today. :D

Not gonna quote people but I will make some comments.

The Dead's music takes some time getting used too and not all will like it. I myself never understood the band Phish and their type of music.

Yea heard the jokes about having to be high and liking the dead. Many times I haven't been and I still love their music. :D

Yea the dead did repeat some songs each nite but not that many. I 'm glad PJ are not touring under a new album this time around. So far as I said I'm loving the setlist on this short tour.

My favorite quote about the dead is this:

Attending a Grateful Dead show was like diving into the waters of creation. The deeper you were willing to go the more interesting it became. :D

Ok so maybe for some the drugs helped on that. lol

I saw the dead in 1994 and 1995. 4 shows total and I will never forget them. The parking lot scene is something that will never be repeated again. heh

I've always felt the connection between the Dead and PJ. Saw my last Dead show one night and the next nite saw my first PJ show. It can't get much better then that. :)

peace
  • Options
    vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 469
    we need "kind" grilled cheese sandwiches and veggie burritos before a PJ show to make it like a Dead show

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    vitodacat wrote:
    we need "kind" grilled cheese sandwiches and veggie burritos before a PJ show to make it like a Dead show

Oh that takes me back. hehehe

I remember some weird looking stuff people were cooking up in the parking lots. LOL
  • Options
    vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 469
    there must of been back to backers in the 90's.....I remember suffering through Corrina or Samba in the Rain too many times

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    D

I saw the dead in 1994 and 1995. 4 shows total and I will never forget them. The parking lot scene is something that will never be repeated again. heh

I've always felt the connection between the Dead and PJ.

The parking lot was a trip, nothing compares to it.
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    Meaning they are mixing it up VERY different every nite so far on this tour. Of course they never played the same setlist in the past. But it's just feels and looks different this time around. I'm loving the new Lost Dog songs and just how wild the setlists are. It's giving me something to smile about. :)

All we need now is for PJ to bust out the ''Wall of Sound'' hehe

For the non deadheads this is what I mean. :D

http://www.dozin.com/wallofsound/index.html

the wall of sound was awesome.

i saw the dead a few times 'back in the fucking day!!'

moreso than anythang, i remember the 'cloud of smoke' :D:p :eek:
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green