Options

Pearl Jam are doing it just like Grateful Dead did

patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Meaning they are mixing it up VERY different every nite so far on this tour. Of course they never played the same setlist in the past. But it's just feels and looks different this time around. I'm loving the new Lost Dog songs and just how wild the setlists are. It's giving me something to smile about. :)

All we need now is for PJ to bust out the ''Wall of Sound'' hehe

For the non deadheads this is what I mean. :D

http://www.dozin.com/wallofsound/index.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Ashy LarryAshy Larry Posts: 76
    horrible comparison.

The Dead and PJ are polar opposites. PJ is repeating songs on a night after night basis while the Dead and other jam bands that follow the different set every night suit would have no repeats at all.

I wish to god they would embrace a no repeats at all policy on back to back nights but its not gonna happen.
  • Options
    Jesika537Jesika537 Posts: 301
    Ashy Larry wrote:
    horrible comparison.

The Dead and PJ are polar opposites. PJ is repeating songs on a night after night basis while the Dead and other jam bands that follow the different set every night suit would have no repeats at all.

I wish to god they would embrace a no repeats at all policy on back to back nights but its not gonna happen.

The Dead would repeat songs on consecutive nights. Probably not to the extent that PJ does, but they would do it. To call this a horrible comparison is pretty ridiculous.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/People/gdead/78.html
    Detroit '98 - Detroit '03 - Toledo '04 - Grand Rapids '04 - Kitchener '05 - London '05 - Grand Rapids '06 - Cleveland '06 - Detroit '06 - Chicago '07 - West Palm Beach - Tampa '08 - Toronto '09 - Indy '10 - Buffalo '10 - Toronto '11 - London '13
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Oh nevermind then.
  • Options
    The only time the Dead repeated was when they broke out new material and Weir would play his stuff over and over again ( like 1982 with Throwing Stones and 1983 with Hell in a Bucket and Brother Esau ). Garcia never did this.

That being said, Pearl Jam is mixing it up this tour more because they aren't promoting a new album.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Ashy Larry wrote:
    horrible comparison.

musically yes
    but as far as the business model and the way PJ approaches their shows, there are a lot of similarities. The dedication of the fans is also very similar.
    Not too many groups out there where the fans go to multiple shows on a tour, or follow the band.
  • Options
    acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    Ashy Larry wrote:
    horrible comparison.

Of course there is nothing like a dead show, and I have been to only nine, but both bands do have a lot in common when it comes to the way they handle themselves.
    IMO
    Oh and the Dead had a larger amount of songs to choose from too I think.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Oh nevermind then.
    No, I am with you on this one.
    :)
    This tour is really awesome because it is for the fans, it seems...rather than plugging an album.
    It seems they are playing what they want to. And what they think the fans want to hear.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Oh nevermind then.

i know what you mean pat...ignore the negativity....some people just suck :)
  • Options
    Rival-67Rival-67 Posts: 27
    For starters, how about dropping "Alive", "Even Flow", "Jeremy", "Black", "Small Town", et al from the set list for the rest of the tour?
    What are you running from?
    Taking pills to get along
    Creating walls to call your own
    So no one catches you?
    Drifting off and doing all the things...
    That we... all... do
  • Options
    Rival-67 wrote:
    For starters, how about dropping "Alive", "Even Flow", "Jeremy", "Black", "Small Town", et al from the set list for the rest of the tour?

While I completely agree with you and would love to see those songs disappear, You will find instances where the Dead played St. Stephen or Good Lovin for example 3 or 4 shows in a row. Not quite like hearing Why Go every fucking night but still...
    Detroit '98 - Detroit '03 - Toledo '04 - Grand Rapids '04 - Kitchener '05 - London '05 - Grand Rapids '06 - Cleveland '06 - Detroit '06 - Chicago '07 - West Palm Beach - Tampa '08 - Toronto '09 - Indy '10 - Buffalo '10 - Toronto '11 - London '13
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Rival-67 wrote:

Um .... because some people like those songs?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Pearl Jam doesn't have an album to promote this time around. You won't here 7 or 8 songs from the same album every night.
  • Options
    Jesika537 wrote:
    While I completely agree with you and would love to see those songs disappear, You will find instances where the Dead played St. Stephen or Good Lovin for example 3 or 4 shows in a row. Not quite like hearing Why Go every fucking night but still...

St. Stephen is an odd example given that they played it three times total after 1979 and that was during October of 1983 ( I caught two of them ).
  • Options
    Rival-67Rival-67 Posts: 27
    After the early mid-80's, it was rare that the Dead repeated more than one or two songs during the course of a venue run.
    What are you running from?
    Taking pills to get along
    Creating walls to call your own
    So no one catches you?
    Drifting off and doing all the things...
    That we... all... do
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980

Because there are a good number of people who are probably farmilliar with Pearl Jams early work and are not interested in hearing some rare B-Side. For better or worse, hardcore fans aren't the only people at a Pearl Jam concert.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Rival-67 wrote:
    After the early mid-80's, it was rare that the Dead repeated more than one or two songs during the course of a venue run.
    Thats because the same damn hippies followed them around to every show.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    muppet wrote:
    Because there are a good number of people who are probably farmilliar with Pearl Jams early work and are not interested in hearing some rare B-Side. For better or worse, hardcore fans aren't the only people at a Pearl Jam concert.

Shit ... I AM a hardcore fan. I haven't heard Small Town live since 2003, and I've been to seven shows since then. I love how people act like that is played as often as Even Flow or something. It's not. In fact, it's only on this tour that Small Town is being played almost every night.

And I'm glad, because I want to hear it at my shows.

For that reason, I guess, I'm glad PJ are NOT like the Dead.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Shit ... I AM a hardcore fan. I haven't heard Small Town live since 2003, and I've been to seven shows since then. I love how people act like that is played as often as Even Flow or something. It's not. In fact, it's only on this tour that Small Town is being played almost every night.

I've got no problem with hearing the 'hits' either. Didn't realise Small Town was kind of rare either, sorry.
  • Options
    djonesrdjonesr Posts: 73
    I'm not so sure how much larger the Dead's catalog was that PJ's today. PJ's catalog is still growing. The Dead definitely played more covers than PJ, that's for sure.

As for the repeats, I don't think it's fair to expect no repeats from PJ. I say this for the following 3 reasons.

1. Their songs are a lot shorter than the Dead's, so they play A LOT more songs each night than the Dead ever did. I think this ups the challenge of no repeats dramatically.

2. They don't launch 3 tours + 20-30 home-state shows outside of the tour every year like the Dead did. The pressure to play big hits increases dramatically when you don't tour all that often.

3. Grateful Dead had 1 top ten hit in their entire career (touch of grey), and I would say that was definitely their most played song from 1987-1995. So I think if they had a lot of really big hits, you would have seen them play them more often :)
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    I agree, they are heading in a GD direction. I say they should take it up a notch, and instead of having a single tour, do it dead style and just camp out in a city for a weekend, just like the dead used to do. Get a Friday/Saturday/Sunday show with no repeats. Those three day stops were the best (Laguna Seca in Monterey was a great place for this with the Dead, PJ would be a blast too!)
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    TKDTKD Posts: 163
    Of course there is nothing like a dead show, and I have been to only nine, but both bands do have a lot in common when it comes to the way they handle themselves.
    IMO
    Oh and the Dead had a larger amount of songs to choose from too I think.

that is def the case. the dead played a few thousand songs over there 30 plus years of touring.
    I think the fact that PJ has a larger catalog now has a lot to do with the varying setlists. that and the fact there not touring in support of an album just opens up a lot of tunes
    I dont think the comparison to tGD is horrible but I wouldn't want it to seen like PJ isn't doing there own thing
    ill tell ya though, if I was still in college this is the band id be touring with right now
    Im a million miles away from home and I cant find a telephone...
  • Options
    TKDTKD Posts: 163
    djonesr wrote:
    I'm not so sure how much larger the Dead's catalog was that PJ's today. PJ's catalog is still growing. The Dead definitely played more covers than PJ, that's for sure.

As for the repeats, I don't think it's fair to expect no repeats from PJ. I say this for the following 3 reasons.

1. Their songs are a lot shorter than the Dead's, so they play A LOT more songs each night than the Dead ever did. I think this ups the challenge of no repeats dramatically.

2. They don't launch 3 tours + 20-30 home-state shows outside of the tour every year like the Dead did. The pressure to play big hits increases dramatically when you don't tour all that often.

3. Grateful Dead had 1 top ten hit in their entire career (touch of grey), and I would say that was definitely their most played song from 1987-1995. So I think if they had a lot of really big hits, you would have seen them play them more often :)

Not so much
    tog was played in rotation Mid 80s to early 90's
    by no means there most played Song @ this time
    And I think throwing stones or maybe hell in bucket may have cracked the top 10, but I could be very wrong about that
    Im a million miles away from home and I cant find a telephone...
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    i concur with all points haha
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917

And I'm glad, because I want to hear it at my shows.

For that reason, I guess, I'm glad PJ are NOT like the Dead.

For sure ... And someone said Why Go was played every night?! Um, look at the setlists before you comment.
  • Options
    satch.silsatch.sil Posts: 5
    Q: What did the the one Deadhead say to the other Deadhead when they ran out of pot?
  • Options
    san pedrosan pedro Posts: 169
    merkinball wrote:
    I agree, they are heading in a GD direction. I say they should take it up a notch, and instead of having a single tour, do it dead style and just camp out in a city for a weekend, just like the dead used to do. Get a Friday/Saturday/Sunday show with no repeats. Those three day stops were the best (Laguna Seca in Monterey was a great place for this with the Dead, PJ would be a blast too!)
    damn, you just reminded me of the 1988 laguna seca run! (china cat>crazyfingers>rider>playin!) that was a great weekend! the august 1991 shoreline run was awesome too! dark star in the first set! scarlet>victim>fire! (with bruce hornsby no less!) when hornsby was with them i think he pushed them to play alot better than they were. laguna seca would be a great place to see pearl jam. they could invite some of their friends to play during the day, like ben harper,jack johnson, chris cornell, eddie could do an acoustic set,etc. and there would be camping! a pearl jamboree!
    "DON'T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME"
  • Options
    For sure ... And someone said Why Go was played every night?! Um, look at the setlists before you comment.

I said it. And you need to look at the setlists before you comment. It has been played all 5 shows so far this tour and each of the last 7 shows that I have been to. So maybe you need to check your facts.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,303
    Jesika537 wrote:

yeah, the whole "the dead played a different set every night" is a bit of magical illusion, brought on from folklore more than anything else. the new winterland box set (which is very bad-ass, btw), has 3-4 songs played all three nights, and a handful of others played two of the three. there were some tours where bertha was played just as often as evenflow or corduroy is played by PJ (as in, almost every show).

as for pj, i wish they'd mix it up more. they've got enough hits to play 3 or so a night to indulge the masses and use the rest of the time to indulge me! that being said, setlists this tour are totally killer.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    san pedro wrote:
    damn, you just reminded me of the 1988 laguna seca run! (china cat>crazyfingers>rider>playin!) that was a great weekend! the august 1991 shoreline run was awesome too! dark star in the first set! scarlet>victim>fire! (with bruce hornsby no less!) when hornsby was with them i think he pushed them to play alot better than they were. laguna seca would be a great place to see pearl jam. they could invite some of their friends to play during the day, like ben harper,jack johnson, chris cornell, eddie could do an acoustic set,etc. and there would be camping! a pearl jamboree!

I was at that '88 run too (that's the one I was thinking of). David Lindley, Los Lobos, and the Dead. Love the idea of a Pearl Jamboree, that's a great name for it! Now, how do we go about getting this underway?
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    "And certainly, with The Grateful Dead thing ... man, I’m not a fan of The Grateful Dead at all. They bore me. And I hate to say that, but I’m just not into them. But there are people that loved them and followed them around, and I think that’s what happened to us — we have people that follow us around and go to a lot of shows and network." Mike Mc

damn...

mike is so punk rock ;)