Options

The days without the internet

junbugtnjunbugtn Posts: 14
edited July 2008 in The Porch
It was hard to get Pearl Jam info, but the first time i did get online it was Pearl Jam I looked for.
arthur golden
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    manhattanmanhattan Posts: 258
    Me too. That's really the main reason I got internet access -- I was dying for PJ info.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,874
    seemed like everyone got tickets back then
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,017
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    seemed like everyone got tickets back then
    back on the 1998 tour, it was first come, first serve. If you mailed your money order in quickly, you scored sweet seats. 1998: 3rd row seats!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    whichwaysignwhichwaysign Posts: 229
    LukinFan wrote:
    back on the 1998 tour, it was first come, first serve. If you mailed your money order in quickly, you scored sweet seats. 1998: 3rd row seats!

and just hoping and praying you could pay $25-60 for a shitty sounding bootleg.
    You may bitch about the ticket process now, but the music is sooo much more accessible now and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Anyone else got stacks and stacks of Maxell's laying around from the ol' b&p days?
    'I'm like an opening band for the sun'
  • Options
    Vedderman23Vedderman23 Posts: 856
    Anyone else got stacks and stacks of Maxell's laying around from the ol' b&p days?

LOL, hell yeah. I used to be surprised if I got a show within a week or 2, waiting for that padded envelope to hit the mailbox. Collecting shows is too damn easy now. :D
    "Fuck the talkin', let's start rocking." - E.V. 9-5-00

8/25/98, 8/21/00, 9/5/00, 4/26/03, 5/3/03, 6/24/03, 9/28/05, 10/03/05, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, EV 8/16/08, EV 6/18/09, 5/20/10, 9/15/11, 10/11/13, 10/27/13, 10/1/14, 8/20/16, 8/22/16, TOTD 11/7/16, 8/18/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/11/22, 9/14/22, 9/10/23 coming soon
  • Options
    Vedderman23Vedderman23 Posts: 856
    LukinFan wrote:

Best seats I ever had at a PJ show, Pittsburgh 98. My first show, 3rd row center, and got the poster for 10 bucks. Only took me 9 years to get it framed, lol.

Lots of great memories from that night.
    "Fuck the talkin', let's start rocking." - E.V. 9-5-00

8/25/98, 8/21/00, 9/5/00, 4/26/03, 5/3/03, 6/24/03, 9/28/05, 10/03/05, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, EV 8/16/08, EV 6/18/09, 5/20/10, 9/15/11, 10/11/13, 10/27/13, 10/1/14, 8/20/16, 8/22/16, TOTD 11/7/16, 8/18/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/11/22, 9/14/22, 9/10/23 coming soon
  • Options
    SDHSClassof82SDHSClassof82 Seattle Posts: 306
    junbugtn wrote:
    It was hard to get Pearl Jam info, but the first time i did get online it was Pearl Jam I looked for.

It was damn hard to get online too, waiting for my 1200 baud modem to dial in to Prodigy, circa 1993 LOL.
    “Wind in my hair, I feel part of everywhere...
    Late at night I hear the trees, they're singing with the dead...overhead...”
  • Options
    junbugtnjunbugtn Posts: 14
    I mean its great I have been a fan from about 93 and i was about to blow my brains out and the song State of Love and Trust from the move Singles e changed the way I looked at myself and u know I knew who PJ was from the fucking mtv shit but that song and the band saved me from myself thanks to all the Pearl Jam people. Not many days go by that I dont listen to Pearl Jam, back in the day people thought I was just on the wagon from all the hype of the the band but I knew what I was hearing from the music and the words were true which I new if i was true to the Pearl Jam music Pearl Jam would be true to me until my death,, I lost my father in a car wreck in 04/11/2005 a man who was a truck driver for 30 years was killed a half mile from our house and last Xmas gift my father got for me was The Man of the Hour cd and the song really helped me deal with my loss because the song was right on the money, a lot would have do with my father putting over a million miles being a truck driver, so u can see the connection, Pearl Jam has always been there for me and im just a nobody,, but let me add I am a Carpenter, bye for now
    arthur golden
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    junbugtn wrote:
    I mean its great I have been a fan from about 93 and i was about to blow my brains out and the song State of Love and Trust from the move Singles e changed the way I looked at myself and u know I knew who PJ was from the fucking mtv shit but that song and the band saved me from myself thanks to all the Pearl Jam people. Not many days go by that I dont listen to Pearl Jam, back in the day people thought I was just on the wagon from all the hype of the the band but I knew what I was hearing from the music and the words were true which I new if i was true to the Pearl Jam music Pearl Jam would be true to me until my death,, I lost my father in a car wreck in 04/11/2005 a man who was a truck driver for 30 years was killed a half mile from our house and last Xmas gift my father got for me was The Man of the Hour cd and the song really helped me deal with my loss because the song was right on the money, a lot would have do with my father putting over a million miles being a truck driver, so u can see the connection, Pearl Jam has always been there for me and im just a nobody,, but let me add I am a Carpenter, bye for now
    If you are a Pearl Jam fan you are DEFINITELY not a nobody!!! YOU are among The ELITE!!! :D Pearl Jam is like the ocean-a friend that you can always count on to be there! I remember the days of no internet. I only hadd my cuzin to share in this obsession. Then one day.....I found the PIT. I was SHOCKED there was a whole SEA of fans up in here!!!!!! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    aus_suzaus_suz Posts: 9,364
    manhattan wrote:
    Me too. That's really the main reason I got internet access -- I was dying for PJ info.

Gees I got the internet in 1998 and it wasnt until 2002 that found the pit and other cool PJ sites.....
    Its just a daily thing now to log on to see whats going on in the world of Pearl Jam and its fans....:)
  • Options
    FatalFatal Posts: 821
    I remember feeling so in the dark about the band...between 94-96 i barely saw their pictures in a magazine (Just the odd Spin cover stories!), let alone had access to the amazing boots, photos and info we have nowadays.

It was probably 98ish that i really started on the internet...of course i found alot of those weird covers (Dock of the Bay, Let My Love Open the Door), Angel (! Loved it !) and all the fan club singles i had missed out on.
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• Options
    aus_suzaus_suz Posts: 9,364
    Fatal wrote:
    I remember feeling so in the dark about the band...between 94-96 i barely saw their pictures in a magazine (Just the odd Spin cover stories!), let alone had access to the amazing boots, photos and info we have nowadays.

It was probably 98ish that i really started on the internet...of course i found alot of those weird covers (Dock of the Bay, Let My Love Open the Door), Angel (! Loved it !) and all the fan club singles i had missed out on.

Without sounding old..........Young ppl are so lucky all the music sites they can locate using the net......Heaps better than waiting once a month for a rock mag to come out that would have outdated stories and pictures....
    Bands get so much more exposure to what they b4 the internet...

Imagine live without it...:(
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Anyone else remember Evenflow Online? That was a great site where I first heard many of the b-sides
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    aus_suz wrote:
    Without sounding old..........Young ppl are so lucky all the music sites they can locate using the net......Heaps better than waiting once a month for a rock mag to come out that would have outdated stories and pictures....
    Bands get so much more exposure to what they b4 the internet...

Imagine live without it...:(

You young punks have it easy. Why, when I was a kid....

Yep, I remember waiting a month for Relix to come out to check what the Grateful Dead setlists had been like, what rarities they may have pulled out.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    my first PJ show was in 94. I remember the day tickets went on sale- there was no way I was getting any. back in those days, for a big show, you had to wait in line over night outside of ticketbastard (I wasn't a fan club member, I don't think I even knew about it). Anyway, my friend and I wanted to go but we couldn't miss school (we were 16). We also couldn't try the off chance of calling ticketmaster because we were, well in school. So we just walked around all day extremely bummed. I was so bummed my dad eventually got me tickets from a scalper and paid the difference. getting tickets to anything back then was so complicated (especially when you were a kid and didn't have a car and had to go to school and stuff). I remember getting wristbands and everything.

I forget how we even knew tickets when going on sale? did we hear it on the radio???

oh and remember the 96 tour? the radio stations had the special number you had to call for the independent ticket agency.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,017
    CityMouse wrote:

oh and remember the 96 tour? the radio stations had the special number you had to call for the independent ticket agency.
    I remember that!!!! :)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    I was a die hard fan right from the very begining but I didn't join the 10 Club or the Vitalogy Health Club(as it was known then) until about 1997.

I remember mailing in my money and my membership right after Ed and Mike's surprise appearance at the Tibetan Freedom Concert.

I only got the interweb around 1996 and one of first things I remember checking out in regards to Pearl Jam stuff was lyrics and pictures off the "Garden of Stone" website (remember that one?)

I think I first found the Message Pit or the old Synergy site around 1998 and It really opened me up to the Pearl Jam community...still does.

This is still the best place to come for news.
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I didn't have a computer until 2002 so I really didn't know anything. I joined the club via snail mail.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,359
    ...I'm still trying to figure these interwebs out...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    CityMouse wrote:

I had to do that in '95. What a pain in the ass that was. I had a group of 10 people all trying separately. I was the only one to get through. Bought the maximum (four tickets) and the rest of my friends were SOL.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    I had to do that in '95. What a pain in the ass that was. I had a group of 10 people all trying separately. I was the only one to get through. Bought the maximum (four tickets) and the rest of my friends were SOL.

I think I found out like an hour beforehand and I got on one line and put my mom to work on the other. by some divine intervention I got through fairly easily. I bought 4 tickets. I started college just before the shows and brought 3 other people I had just met on my floor who I ended up not being friends with at all, lol.