Options

seriouly this is freaking ridiculous!

jjfiddlerjjfiddler Posts: 20
edited July 2008 in The Porch
How is that I can get into the ticketmaster system at 10:00:37...37 seconds after they go on sale....and BOTH dc shows are sold out - YET - there are TONS of tickets available on all the broker sites (livenation, stubhub, ebay, etc...)

And prices of at least $250 a pop for nose-bleed upper balcony seats.

I mean seriously, that is just bad.

I know it's not the band, or Eddie's fault. Though I cannot help but feel that they could have some kind of influence on this if they really wanted.

Wouldn't it be great if the PJ from the early days came back and fought to do something about this. Wouldn't it be great if it was the actually FANS that got to go to the shows - and not some people who aren't really fans but have a ton of money and decide at the last minute on night that "hey, wouldn't it be fun tonight to take a couple clients out to see that Eddie Vedder guy??? Tickets are like $1000 a pop, but we can just charge it to the company! It's a tax write off then!" - TRUST ME that is what you will get in DC...

I don't mean to sound like I am whining - I really dont......I just wish someone with more power and influence would do something about this crap.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ovechkin8ovechkin8 Posts: 491
    this sounds like a job for ralph nader....i'm surprised he hasn't tackled this issue yet.
  • Options
    PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    Yeah, thats pretty shitty right there...
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    this is sadly a way of the world now isnt it??
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    our only recourse is to NOT buy the inflated tickets ... and yeah - if there are companies and such that buy them - there isn't a whole lot you can do but as of now - it's our only way of fighting this scam ...
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    i understand where you are coming from and you really only have one option that allows you to be in control and left with some sense of dignity, if the ticketmaster situation upsets you, as much as it does me.

do not buy tickets.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    I don't think that people who are in the position to bill $1000 for client entertainment are interested in seeing eddie vedder...
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    That is exactly the thing that happened with the West Coast shows. These venues were so small that Ticketmaster was worthless. Scalpers have that game beat.

If it's a 25,000-seat arena, it's hard for them to scoop up all the tickets. An 1,800-seat theater, with sometimes a 10-ticket "limit?" That's child's play.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,555
    That is exactly the thing that happened with the West Coast shows. These venues were so small that Ticketmaster was worthless. Scalpers have that game beat.

If it's a 25,000-seat arena, it's hard for them to scoop up all the tickets. An 1,800-seat theater, with sometimes a 10-ticket "limit?" That's child's play.

Exactly. I tried on the west coast back then for a few minutes and realized I was wasting my time.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    mattlindamattlinda Posts: 19
    i hate them too man

i wasnt going to pay 500 to some non fan so they could pocket that and write off the ticket price as a donation to robin hood.

we'll see what happens today.

thanks,
    Matt
    5/27-28 2006 Philly - Camden
    6/24-25 2008 MSG
    Eddie Vedder Solo - NYC 8/3 PALACE & NJPAC 8/7
    5/21 2010 MSG
    www.facebook.com/mattlinda
  • Options
    cashcash Posts: 55
    1) dont buy scalped tickets the day the tickets were "sold out"
    2) wait till the week of the show and ticketmaster will release more, day of the show is even better (they always release more for every band, every show)
    3) if you have to go thru a scalper do it the day of the show, itll be about the same price as face value

If you dont freakout when a show is "soldout" you wont pay inflated prices.

take a breath, relax
  • Options
    Hawaii 78Hawaii 78 Posts: 63
    jjfiddler wrote:
    How is that I can get into the ticketmaster system at 10:00:37...37 seconds after they go on sale....and BOTH dc shows are sold out - YET - there are TONS of tickets available on all the broker sites (livenation, stubhub, ebay, etc...)

And prices of at least $250 a pop for nose-bleed upper balcony seats.

I mean seriously, that is just bad.

I know it's not the band, or Eddie's fault. Though I cannot help but feel that they could have some kind of influence on this if they really wanted.

Wouldn't it be great if the PJ from the early days came back and fought to do something about this. Wouldn't it be great if it was the actually FANS that got to go to the shows - and not some people who aren't really fans but have a ton of money and decide at the last minute on night that "hey, wouldn't it be fun tonight to take a couple clients out to see that Eddie Vedder guy??? Tickets are like $1000 a pop, but we can just charge it to the company! It's a tax write off then!" - TRUST ME that is what you will get in DC...

I don't mean to sound like I am whining - I really dont......I just wish someone with more power and influence would do something about this crap.

The same thing happened when tickets went on sales for the April Fools Tour.

You have every right to whine because it's "us" the fans that have to pay the price to see Ed and most of us don't have the resources to pay $1000 for a decent ticket or be bumming cause we can't go to the show. It's not fair.

I have found the calling the Ticketmaster phone number for that particular city has better success than the internet. No one uses the phone anymore to purchase tickets.
    Denver 94 Red Rocks 95 1 & 2 Denver 98 Seattle 98 1 & 2 Vegas 2000 Denver 03 Vegas 03
    Seattle 04 1 & 2 Denver 06 1 & 2 Vegas 06
    Honolulu 12/02/06 & 12/09/06
    Seattle 12/09/2013
    Denver 10/22/2014
    EV San Diego 1 & 2 EV Chicago 1 & 2 2008
    EV Honolulu 1 & 2 2009
    EV Austin 11/09, 11/11 2012
    RNDM Boulder 11/18/2012
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    cash wrote:
    2) wait till the week of the show and ticketmaster will release more, day of the show is even better (they always release more for every band, every show)
    3) if you have to go thru a scalper do it the day of the show, itll be about the same price as face value

take a breath, relax

exactly
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    cash wrote:

take a breath, relax

exactly what I was going to say.
    plus, normal people end up with extras and post them here or on craigslist for face or close to it.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    cash wrote:

take a breath, relax

Generally, this is true. But I tried this method for LA2 and it didn't work.

Waited in line at the box office day of ... they did open up a few more tickets ... but the window closed with me 10 feet from it. Now they're officially sold out.

Couple of scalpers out front. Show has already started. Guy with the last pair STILL won't budge on $300.

Needless to say, I didn't get into the show.

My point, I guess: No, I wouldn't buy a StubHub ticket right now. I'd definitely wait until closer to the show if you feel you must go that route. And if you're trying to get a ticket-drop the day of the show, you've got to get there super duper early. I waited four hours in LA2 for nothing. If I had been there five hours early, I would have gotten a ticket.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do