Options

Uncle Tupelo & Son Volt

MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
edited January 2011 in Other Music
I just got into this whole alt-country thing, and just discovered these two bands. I didn't know before that Jeff Tweedy was one of the pioneers of this genre. I read that Uncle Tupelo's No Depression started it all. What other albums would you recommend I begin with?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Son Volt's "trace" is absolutely essential and wonderful

Two very god bands.

After you check out all their albums if you have not already checked them out give the Jayhawks "hollywood Town hall" a listen
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    i am new to Alt-country too. have you listened to Wilco? Billy Bragg is more of folk punk but it is good too.
    "Can't fuckin' Twitter, hate that shit" - EV
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker, Cold Roses (I'd reccomend everything, but these are his most 'country')
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    Ryan Bingham's "Mescalito" and "Roadhouse Sun"
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    All good suggestions, thanks! I actually own everything by Wilco, Ryan Adams and Ryan Bingham. 8-)
    Now I'm looking for more early to mid 90's stuff, like pre-Whiskeytown. I agree with one of the posters, that Son Volt's Trace is a must-get.
  • Options
    jr19jr19 Posts: 338
    jayhawks are a must....lucero has not been around as long as son volt and uncle tupelo but are good as well. there used to be an alt country zine that used to run under the name "no depression" as a nod to uncle tupelo for kickstarting the genre... dont know if its still around though. "still feel gone" is one of my favs by uncle tupelo for the simple fact that "gun" is far and away my favorite ut song. some others you might like are: supersuckers, bottle rockets, and golden smog.
  • Options
    Maybe check out Old Pike. Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket) was in this band in the late 90's. I think the album is on Itunes.

Another guy that was in Old Pike was Tim Jones, and he is now in a band called Truth & Salvage Co. They are a great band too! Alt-country sound with Eagles type vocal harmonies.
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain