Options

~+~ the official NO CODE thread ~+~

LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
edited April 2008 in The Porch
I did a search in the Porch and looked through about 15 pages but didn't find a thread for No Code appreciation, so I'll just start a new one.

Let's discuss about the tracks, the historical self-promoted tour and of course Jack the man who saved the band as Ed said in one of the boots, I'm not sure which one. I don't think the band would still be around if it wasn't for No Code.

And because I was only a casual fan until Yield came out so I wanna some stories about the shows especially the one where Ed got sick and Neil joined them as Neil Jam.

[size=+5]No Code[/size]
PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    I did a search in the Porch and looked through about 15 pages but didn't find a thread for No Code appreciation, so I'll just start a new one.

Let's discuss about the tracks, the historical self-promoted tour and of course Jack the man who saved the band as Ed said in one of the boots, I'm not sure which one. I don't think the band would still be around if it wasn't for No Code.

And because I was only a casual fan until Yield came out so I wanna some stories about the shows especially the one where Ed got sick and Neil joined them as Neil Jam.

[size=+5]No Code[/size]
    you didnt look hard enough theres one.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    you didnt look hard enough theres one.
    Well give me the link! I searched "No Code" and looked through a shitload of pages to no avail.

Link it up then. :)

EDIT: looked through all 12 pages nothing! :mad:
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Well I'll start. Smile is absolutely amazing live. Eddie needs to play harmonica more often.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    full of code
  • Options
    Well I'll start. Smile is absolutely amazing live. Eddie needs to play harmonica more often.
    Yeah I love Lost Dogs' version of Footsteps with the addition of the harms.

But what's great about Smile is that the electric guitars and drums didn't weakened the harmonica at all. Usually the harms are used in acoustic songs. They did great with Smile. Just learned that the guys from the Frogs were the inspiration behind the song.
  • Options
    Stone IronsStone Irons Posts: 430
    LongRd. wrote:

That happened during the Vitalogy tour.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    That happened during the Vitalogy tour.
    Duh, you're right! early '95 when Jack just joined.

EDIT: the show did inspired Red Mosquito...according to wiki :p
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Mosquito#cite_ref-3
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    no freakin code!!!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,740
    In My Tree, baby!!!

No more crowbars to my head.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    DeLukin wrote:
    In My Tree, baby!!!

No more crowbars to my head.
    In My Tree, Who You Are, Present Tense.

Wonderful.
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    BEnglish017BEnglish017 Posts: 455
    sometimes going into hail, hail. my favorite song transition on any album. it gets me every time, i always turn sometimes up and forget to turn hail, hail down. don't know how many times i have felt like my ear drums were gonna explode. i love it though. wish they would play those 2 back to back in concert.
    Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023
  • Options
    I remember when it first came out,i hated off he goes! it sounded Glenn Frey to me(love Mr.Henley,hate Mr.Frey) but i grew older and wiser and it is now a favorite of mine.

one of Ed's best!
  • Options
    Fu_ManchuFu_Manchu Posts: 422
    I bet none of you fuckers voted for this in the album game.

*cries*
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
  • Options
    I bet none of you fuckers voted for this in the album game.

*cries*

you'd be losing your money on that bet my friend!
  • Options
    Fu_ManchuFu_Manchu Posts: 422
    I've never been a good gambler
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
  • Options
    I remember when it first came out,i hated off he goes! it sounded Glenn Frey to me(love Mr.Henley,hate Mr.Frey) but i grew older and wiser and it is now a favorite of mine.

one of Ed's best!
    I loved this song. Always though it was about his dad but found out it was about being a "shitty friend" as Eddie once said that he had a habit of walking in and out of people's lives. I too have the habit of loosing contact with friends. It's not because of them because of me.
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    NO CODE is absolutely brilliant ..

1.) Sometimes -

I absolutely love the simplicity and subtle tone to this song. it's a great slow burner. once it starts to pick up at the end but then just dies off and goes soft again with mike's few note solo, it really adds a nice touch. great opener live too.

2.) Hail, Hail

As far as stright foward PJ concert staple rockers, this tune and Last Exit are probobly the best. The music has a great powerful groove and just encompasses this amazing energy. love the vocals here too. a classic. no doubt. one of the first songs i think of when i think of pj. pumps me up, and i think the band too. they love playing it. i don't blame them! certainly a favorite of many, including me!

3.) Who You Are

Creative brilliance. Matt is my favorite drummer, but Jack really did add such an amazing experimental touch to the band. i think he played a big role in shaping no code and yield. damn fine example right here. this song sounds very culturistic and has a sense of world beat to it. i think the lyrics are great and its kind of "clap along" groove is really uplifting. drums are fantastic and the guitars and bass ride over them perfectly. PLEASE PLAY THIS IN '08 PJ!! BRING IT BACK!!

4.) In My Tree

Creative brilliance once again! this is a masterpiece. absolute masterpiece. i love this song live new or old version (come on guys, boom rocks out), BUT i don't think that this song will EVER capture the intensity and feel that it has on the album cut here. there is something about it that just draws you into this spiraling world of sound. it's insane. jack once again kicks ass on this track with the drums. however, the bass and guitar really add color to it. and ed? his vocals are incredible. the chorus is one of the best PJ choruses ever. once again, this track will never sound how it did on this album again. when you hear it, you know something special happened in that studio. it's kind of like sleight of hand. though great live, it will never recreate the magic it did on the album.

5.) Smile

Just an all around great song. Pretty simplistic in its basic, crunchy chord progression, but something about it just grabs you. i think it's pretty cool how jeff and stone swapped instruments here too. the story of how it was written is really neat as well. appearently the lyrics are from a letter that the frogs (another friendly band) wrote ed. the harmonica is a very sweet touch and mike's simple bluesy lines are great. this seems to be very popular among us fans. KICKS ASS live! this is one i hope to hear on the '08 tour as well!

6.) Off He Goes

Amazing. lyrically, one of ed's best moments on the album. this one has a lot of neil young folk style influence. great song to drive to. it's really great how PJ can capture a sound that fits with the lyrics. it just seems like a traveling song. when i listen i think of just walking on a long road or hiking or something. same thing with oceans. when i listen to that song i feel like i'm on a beach. anyhow, i think this is one of the best cuts on the album. ed steals the show for me on this one though. his lyrics tell such a story, i can't help but listen so intently. however, the instrumental jam at the end is amazing and i never want it to end. mikes guitar parts add such emotion to the song.

7.) Habit

This song does NOT get enough credit!! This song really rocks my ass off. eddie growls like a fucking beast on this tune. the guitar tones are blistering, and the bass lines are like an earthquake waiting to happen. very obvious what this song is about. definitely the most aggresive song on the album. the best part of the entire song, is one of the best short jams in pj studio history. the jam/outro of the song is UNBELIEVABLE! it rips my fucking face off. people must go nuts hearing that live. i would love to!

8.) Red Mosquito

This song also sounds very neil influenced, but not his folky side. this has the rockin' neil influence. stones guitar part is very poweful and mikes around it just completely shapes the song. his soloing is incredible. this is a favorite of mine. I also love ed's story behind writing it. he is so creative. a poet for sure. yet AGAIN, would love to hear this live. there's something so great about singing along to this. awesome ..

9.) Lukin

Menacing song. short, simple, and a major boot in the ass. ed's roaring vocals just tear right through this track. love it. sounds great live to rock out to, but ed's vocals are much better on this version and he doesn't fuck up the lyrics! haha good song

10.) Present Tense

Best song on the entire album. period. in my top 4 favorite pj tunes EVER. it is a complete masterpiece through and through. it just has this epic feel to it, like you're on top of the world. the lyrics create such imagery and when i listen i can't help but think of all different scenery and really what may be way up there in the sky somewhere. mikes guitar behind the vocals is like this quiet little creature just waiting to strike. well, i shouldn't really say that because there is something so insanely peaceful about this song. when i listen, i feel at peace with myself and the world around me. ed's vocals just put everything at ease, and his lyrics are absolutely amazing as usual. probobly his best lyrical moment on the album. when the song finally picks up, its like you grow wings and just begin flying through the air into another world. it just takes you away. its like this whirlwind of brilliance and you're stuck in it! the jam at the end is incredible in the way that it builds and builds and builds and just when you think it is going to explode it quickly dies right back down and you come in check with reality once again. a moving experience every listen. DYING to hear this live '08 and hear the entire crowd sing the chorus!

11.) Mankind

I don't think this song fits right after PT. I'm Open would have been much better. However, not a big deal. it is a really sweet song. ed is the singer, bottom line, and that's who i want to hear. that being said, i think this song is loads of fun and i love stone. live it is really, really cool. also much better then don't gimme no lip. stone's the man, he rocks out, all is well.

12.) I'm Open

Captivating. PJ creates such atmosphere with this song. you can just drift off into another dimension. It is for songs like this that i prefer the more experimental albums by pj generally to ten or vs (all are brilliant). the lyrics are once again fantastic, and ed's spoken word part is very interesting. wonder why they dropped that part live. i got to see this when it was played for the first time ever, in hartford 06. awesome. i dare you to close your eyes and listen to that brilliant chorus without finding yourself just escaping the world around you for a while. ahh man, i love no code.

13.) Around The Bend

So here's the PJ lullabye. very sensitive and peaceful song. ed wrote some great lyrics here. It actually isn't one of my very favorite PJ album closers, but there is something very special about it. i can't put my fingers on it, but i think it just ends the album in a unique way. something about this song just makes you feel good. also, the line of the song that actually says "i send, you, off around the bend" is very mysterious sounding. i guess you can consider that the chorus. it is like the song is so peaceful, quiet, and loving, but when that line comes in, it throws you a curve ball. i dig it.

ahhh man, no code. greaaaat stuff.
    and yes, i really felt the need to do that and show my appreciation.
    damn, all that love i just confessed and this isn't even my favorite album! (Yield)
    shit, pj is amazing
    '08 gonna be great
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    ^Great man. You've made me want to listen to it now. :)
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    Murderers wrote:
    ^Great man. You've made me want to listen to it now. :)

haha .. that's the spirit!
  • Options
    NO CODE is absolutely brilliant ..

1.) Sometimes -

I absolutely love the simplicity and subtle tone to this song. it's a great slow burner. once it starts to pick up at the end but then just dies off and goes soft again with mike's few note solo, it really adds a nice touch. great opener live too.

2.) Hail, Hail

As far as stright foward PJ concert staple rockers, this tune and Last Exit are probobly the best. The music has a great powerful groove and just encompasses this amazing energy. love the vocals here too. a classic. no doubt. one of the first songs i think of when i think of pj. pumps me up, and i think the band too. they love playing it. i don't blame them! certainly a favorite of many, including me!

3.) Who You Are

Creative brilliance. Matt is my favorite drummer, but Jack really did add such an amazing experimental touch to the band. i think he played a big role in shaping no code and yield. damn fine example right here. this song sounds very culturistic and has a sense of world beat to it. i think the lyrics are great and its kind of "calp along" groove is really uplifting. drums are fantastic and the guitars and bass ride over them perfectly. PLEASE PLAY THIS IN '08 PJ!! BRING IT BACK!!

4.) In My Tree

Creative brilliance once again! this is a masterpiece. absolute masterpiece. i love this song live new or old version (come on guys, boom rocks out), BUT i don't think that this song will EVER capture the intensity and feel that it has on the album cut here. there is something about it that just draws you into this spiraling world of sound. it's insane. jack once again kicks ass on this track with the drums. however, the bass and guitar really add color to it. and ed? his vocals are incredible. the chorus is one of the best PJ choruses ever. once again, this track will never sound how it did on this album again. when you hear it, you know something special happened in that studio. it's kind of like sleight of hand. though great live, it will never recreate the magic it did on the album.

5.) Smile

Just an all around great song. Pretty simplistic in its basic, crunchy chord progression, but something about it just grabs you. i think it's pretty cool how jeff and stone swapped instruments here too. the story of how it was written is really neat as well. appearently the lyrics are from a letter that the frogs (another friendly band) wrote ed. the harmonica is a very sweet touch and mike's simple bluesy lines are great. this seems to be very popular among us fans. KICKS ASS live! this is one i hope to hear on the '08 tour as well!

6.) Off He Goes

Amazing. lyrically, one of ed's best moments on the album. this one has a lot of neil young folk style influence. great song to drive to. it's really great how PJ can capture a sound that fits with the lyrics. it just seems like a traveling song. when i listen i think of just walking on a long road or hiking or something. same thing with oceans. when i listen to that song i feel like i'm on a beach. anyhow, i think this is one of the best cuts on the album. ed steals the show for me on this one though. his lyrics tell such a story, i can't help but listen so intently. however, the instrumental jam at the end is amazing and i never want it to end. mikes guitar parts add such emotion to the song.

7.) Habit

This song does NOT get enough credit!! This song really rocks my ass off. eddie growls like a fucking beast on this tune. the guitar tones are blistering, and the bass lines are like an earthquake waiting to happen. very obvious what this song is about. definitely the most aggresive song on the album. the best part of the entire song, is one of the best short jams in pj studio history. the jam/outro of the song is UNBELIEVABLE! it rips my fucking face off. people must go nuts hearing that live. i would love to!

8.) Red Mosquito

This song also sounds very neil influenced, but not his folky side. this has the rockin' neil influence. stones guitar part is very poweful and mikes around it just completely shapes the song. his soloing is incredible. this is a favorite of mine. I also love ed's story behind writing it. he is so creative. a poet for sure. yet AGAIN, would love to hear this live. there's something so great about singing along to this. awesome ..

9.) Lukin

Menacing song. short, simple, and a major boot in the ass. ed's roaring vocals just tear right through this track. love it. sounds great live to rock out to, but ed's vocals are much better on this version and he doesn't fuck up the lyrics! haha good song

10.) Present Tense

Best song on the entire album. period. in my top 4 favorite pj tunes EVER. it is a complete masterpiece through and through. it just has this epic feel to it, like you're on top of the world. the lyrics create such imagery and when i listen i can't help but think of all different scenery and really what may be way up there in the sky somewhere. mikes guitar behind the vocals is like this quiet little creature just waiting to strike. well, i shouldn't really say that because there is something so insanely peaceful about this song. when i listen, i feel at peace with myself and the world around me. ed's vocals just put everything at ease, and his lyrics are absolutely amazing as usual. probobly his best lyrical moment on the album. when the song finally picks up, its like you grow wings and just begin flying through the air into another world. it just takes you away. its like this whirlwind of brilliance and you're stuck in it! the jam at the end is incredible in the way that it builds and builds and builds and just when you think it is going to explode it quickly dies right back down and you come in check with reality once again. a moving experience every listen. DYING to hear this live '08 and hear the entire crowd sing the chorus!

11.) Mankind

I don't think this song fits right after PT. I'm Open would have been much better. However, not a big deal. it is a really sweet song. ed is the singer, bottom line, and that's who i want to hear. that being said, i think this song is loads of fun and i love stone. live it is really, really cool. also much better then don't gimme no lip. stone's the man, he rocks out, all is well.

12.) I'm Open

Captivating. PJ creates such atmosphere with this song. you can just drift off into another dimension. It is for songs like this that i prefer the more experimental albums by pj generally to ten or vs (all are brilliant). the lyrics are once again fantastic, and ed's spoken word part is very interesting. wonder why they dropped that part live. i got to see this when it was played for the first time ever, in hartford 06. awesome. i dare you to close your eyes and listen to that brilliant chorus without finding yourself just escaping the world around you for a while. ahh man, i love no code.

13.) Around The Bend

So here's the PJ lullabye. very sensitive and peaceful song. ed wrote some great lyrics here. It actually isn't one of my very favorite PJ album closers, but there is something very special about it. i can't put my fingers on it, but i think it just ends the album in a unique way. something about this song just makes you feel good. also, the line of the song that actually says "i send, you, off around the bend" is very mysterious sounding. i guess you can consider that the chorus. it is like the song is so peaceful, quiet, and loving, but when that line comes in, it throws you a curve ball. i dig it.

ahhh man, no code. greaaaat stuff.
    and yes, i really felt the need to do that and show my appreciation.
    damn, all that love i just confessed and this isn't even my favorite album! (Yield)
    shit, pj is amazing
    '08 gonna be great
    Great post man!!! I never actually appreciate how great Red Mosquito is until I heard it live on one of the boots. Yeah Who You Are and In My Tree best 3-4 track combo ever I just love the transition one song to the other.
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    Great post man!!! I never actually appreciate how great Red Mosquito is until I heard it live on one of the boots. Yeah Who You Are and In My Tree best 3-4 track combo ever I just love the transition one song to the other.

thanks man. felt like actually making a worth while post.

yea red mosquito just has a whole new life when performed live. its excellent.
  • Options
    If I had known then what I know now.
    A real possibility I may meet you in my dreams ~ I go to sleep
  • Options
    Intro to I Got Shit on the 1996-09-22 Toldeo, OHIO show, Ed says "See me after the show I'll write you all notes"

Did he? Who was there with him after the show? :)
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    My favorite album of ALL TIME = No Code

My yearbook quote = the whole 2nd verse + chorus of Present Tense

My favorite PJ song = In My Tree

I absolutely love No Code.
  • Options
    My favorite album of ALL TIME = No Code

My yearbook quote = the whole 2nd verse + chorus of Present Tense

My favorite PJ song = In My Tree

I absolutely love No Code.
    Would love to hear In My Tree with the drum intro! :)