Options

new respect for "hard sun"

sweet adelinesweet adeline Posts: 2,211
edited April 2008 in The Porch
i used to think it was just okay, but after seeing ed play it live, i have a new respect for it.

plus, i keep picturing him dancing around like a drunk person, so i can't help but laugh a little.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,505
    respek
  • Options
    plus, i keep picturing him dancing around like a drunk person, so i can't help but laugh a little.

yeah he gots moves!:D

he had me laughing my ass off when they were in Boston in '06.he was dancing around and when he was back pedaling he tripped on his ass and stayed there taking sips of wine laying down on the stage,shooting the shit with peeps in the front row while the band finished up the song.GOOD STUFF!!
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    agreed. was probably my least favorite song on ITW before... now i have good memories of it. they were acting all tribal or something hopping around with all of those white coats. :D
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the first line, the first time i heard this song was enough for me. im not gonna get all gushy but suffice to say, the entire ITW soundtrack spoke to me on levels i thought were long dead.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i used to think it was just okay, but after seeing ed play it live, i have a new respect for it.

dude last night i was in the back yard drinking some wine listening to itw....hard sun comes on and i start flaying myself around ala ed...didn't realize i was doing it....:o :)
  • Options
    the first line, the first time i heard this song was enough for me. im not gonna get all gushy but suffice to say, the entire ITW soundtrack spoke to me on levels i thought were long dead.

me as well cate....i wished you could have see him play them live....an emotional experience :)
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    I cannot agree more.
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,555
    Word.

In fairness, I liked it before too. But it was cool to see Ed jumping around like a mental patient in that white coat.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    cutback wrote:
    dude last night i was in the back yard drinking some wine listening to itw....hard sun comes on and i start flaying myself around ala ed...didn't realize i was doing it....:o :)
    that must have been some good wine. :D
  • Options
    nfanel wrote:
    that must have been some good wine. :D

:p

well the...umm....special smoke helped....;) :o
  • Options
    I love picturing him in that lab coat and the whole projector with the sun and the fog machine when I hear hard sun! One of the best memories I took away from LA1 and 2.
    Hail, hail the lucky ones, I refer to those in love....
  • Options
    cutback wrote:

i'll bet norm loved seeing that :)

to be honest, i do the same thing now for some reason, its just the song. sophie and i danced to it last night. :cool:
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    me as well cate....i wished you could have see him play them live....an emotional experience :)

honestly... i would have totally lost my shit.
    ive always said that i would never approach a muso i admired if i saw them in the street. for me it would be too weird. if we only hsd the music to 'bond' on and me not being a muso, i would feel too much like the gushy fan. i would embarass myself and i would embarass whoever the person was. and then theres that whole misanthropy thing i got going on. but i tell you what.. if ever i saw ed in the street or anywhere else i would have an overwhelming urge to thank him for that soundtrack. i have never in my entire life heard a soundtrack that fit a movie so perfectly. and that spoke to me as ITW did. and i have to take my hat off to ed for that. his music truly moved me moreso than pearl jam ever did.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    honestly... i would have totally lost my shit.
    ive always said that i would never approach a muso i admired if i saw them in the street. for me it would be too weird. if we only hsd the music to 'bond' on and me not being a muso, i would feel too much like the gushy fan. i would embarass myself and i would embarass whoever the person was. and then theres that whole misanthropy thing i got going on. but i tell you what.. if ever i saw ed in the street or anywhere else i would have an overwhelming urge to thank him for that soundtrack. i have never in my entire life heard a soundtrack that fit a movie so perfectly. and that spoke to me as ITW did. and i have to take my hat off to ed for that. his music truly moved me moreso than pearl jam ever did.

since seeing these shows and reading about how people waited backstage to meet ed, i though would i go up to ed if i saw him out and about....i'm not star struck by any means (growing up in la will do that to ya :) ) but if i wasn't disturbing him like at dinner or with his family or something, i think i would approach ed....just shake his hand and tell him thanks for making some truly great art....hell i'll say it here....thanks ed! :)
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    since seeing these shows and reading about how people waited backstage to meet ed, i though would i go up to ed if i saw him out and about....i'm not star struck by any means (growing up in la will do that to ya :) ) but if i wasn't disturbing him like at dinner or with his family or something, i think i would approach ed....just shake his hand and tell him thanks for making some truly great art....hell i'll say it here....thanks ed! :)

totally agree (except for that whole growing up in LA thingy).
    i think tis truly a rare thing to be touched by music(or anything else for that matter) so much. and for that i thank ed. :)

you know when the wolf plays in the film? i get goosebumps. when chris is atop that rocky thingy and embracing nature as he does, it makes me weep. it makes me remember the times when the wind is blowing and i raise my arms as if im readying myself for flight( i tend to do it a lot). and i imagine what it is to fly. the sense of freedom i get. i saw that scene and i lost myself. of course it didnt help my heart or mind when ed got his qawali(sp?) on. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    i'll bet norm loved seeing that :)

to be honest, i do the same thing now for some reason, its just the song. sophie and i danced to it last night. :cool:

hell norm is used to my crazy ways...cuz he's as crazy as i am...;) :D
  • Options
    Yeah......The first time I heard the song it took me to a real good place; the sundeck at Alpine Meadows after a long day of carving heavy sierra corn. Staring up at the white mountain tops with a crystal blue background, legs throbbing in a good way, and the sun just beating down on you while holding an ice cold beer in one hand…Ahhhhhhhhhhh so close to heaven.

I spend about half of my working day in bio/pharma labs so yes, seeing Hard Sun performed in lab coats at Berkeley uno has taken this song to a whole nother level for me. Haha, great song.

Oh, and I’ll be skiing tahoe this weekend if any1 is around…
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    cutback wrote:
    Really regret not going to CA to see these shows.

Simply amazed everytime I listen to the soundtrack...just incredible music...the mans got talent. I HOPE they play some ITW on east coast stint.

Whats with the lab coats? Also did he have a full back up band? Yea I know I can find this info...but since we're talking about it..... :)
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    shhhh...don't tell pjtaper.
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I wish his mic would cut out and he'd do a cool little hoe down like Ashley Simpson on SNL.
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    pjtaper wrote:
    I wish his mic would cut out and he'd do a cool little hoe down like Ashley Simpson on SNL.

I think you're pissed over nothing. He is clearly singing live on Hard Sun. Maybe not doing each of the 1,000,000 times they do the chorus, but he is singing and playing on it.
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    Really regret not going to CA to see these shows.

Simply amazed everytime I listen to the soundtrack...just incredible music...the mans got talent. I HOPE they play some ITW on east coast stint.

Whats with the lab coats? Also did he have a full back up band? Yea I know I can find this info...but since we're talking about it..... :)

the lab coats because this tour was an experiement...no backing band except liam on guitar and vocals on society and liam on drums/vocals and ej vocals on hard sun....:)
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    cutback wrote:
    the lab coats because this tour was an experiement...no backing band except liam on guitar and vocals on society and liam on drums/vocals and ej vocals on hard sun....:)
    Thanks...
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:

don't bring your nonsense into my thread!
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    "When I walk beside her, I am a better man...." It's an awesome song, i was hooked from the first 30 seconds of hearing it for the first time, second it was out on iTunes.

And yeah - Ed had a BLAST playing it -- words can not describe the SAFETY DANCE moves he busts during that bad boy! He sure does "stagger back again!" Like a puppet on strings at times, really fun, super fun.

Of the Bay Area Trifecta, Santa Cruz honestly had the most ripping solo, that was it, he was leaving after it, saturday night, and he really reached down and pulled out some WAIL! Sloppy, but all over, shredding and ripping, power chords, everything into it.

But yeah, berk2 got the most awesome crowd engagement....
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    don't bring your nonsense into my thread!
    And he'd still go to another Ed show. Remember the Cornell jean fiasco? and Denver cancellations? He still went if I remember correctly. :cool:
    NERDS!