Options

Death of the Poster Era

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Anyone else smell the end of the poster craze? I think the Zenith has occured......For the first time ever, I don't plan to figure out how to get posters at the shows.... The whole thing is so popular it just doesnt feel right anymore. Flippers, the attitudes, the distraction, the lack of new material, the availability on Ebay,......I just feel the mystique is gone.

I know you poster hounds will be thankful that I wont be in line, but I am going to 7 shows and, for the first time ever, I am not going to be worried about posters in my seat or in my bag for all 7 of those shows......
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Local CrewLocal Crew Posts: 745
    10c will sell them a couple months after the show. i bet you try then!
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    I never would've thought it would matter if the "mystique" is gone. You should just enjoy having your posters as mementos of the amazing shows you've seen. Who cares about how much they're worth or how rare they are? Their value should lie in what they mean to you.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    MattyJoe wrote:
    I never would've thought it would matter if the "mystique" is gone. You should just enjoy having your posters as mementos of the amazing shows you've seen. Who cares about how much they're worth or how rare they are? Their value should lie in what they mean to you.
    Couldn't have put it any better myself.
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
  • Options
    Tackalac wrote:
    Anyone else smell the end of the poster craze? I think the Zenith has occured......For the first time ever, I don't plan to figure out how to get posters at the shows.... The whole thing is so popular it just doesnt feel right anymore. Flippers, the attitudes, the distraction, the lack of new material, the availability on Ebay,......I just feel the mystique is gone.

I know you poster hounds will be thankful that I wont be in line, but I am going to 7 shows and, for the first time ever, I am not going to be worried about posters in my seat or in my bag for all 7 of those shows......

just because you lost your taste for them doesn't mean it's the end of an era
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,943
    just because you lost your taste for them doesn't mean it's the end of an era

hehhehheeee
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I '24
  • Options
    Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    I decided I was done with posters (at least while attending a show) when my husband kept getting passed over in Hawaii, meanwhile lots of individuals were buying multiple posters.

We were shut out and were so mad that we both went and bought two overpriced beers each to calm down. :o

I've never needed a bathroom break at a PJ show until then. That night, LBC became my potty break song. :p

All in all, the stress isn't worth it for me. I prefer stickers and flair anyhow. :rolleyes:
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    meh.. i usually cant afford them anyways... with my broke ass self..

But i will totally try and get one still (IF THEY AREN'T FREAKIN SOLD OUT IN THE FIRST TWO DAMN Minutes) If i dig the artwork...
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Tackalac wrote:

Not for me....Was never about attitudes or flippers, or whether people told me I was out of my mind for drymounting my posters, or what they are worth, or whatever. I could give two shits about ebay, flippers and people attitudes towards me and my posters. I love the colors, I loves the messages...I love they are sometimes hard to get, I love that some are ugly as hell, and some are borderline masterpiece! I love that most people dont get it and never will, but my love for them will never waver. I may back off of the buying here and there out of the simple fact that our economy sucks and I am broke, but when things change(and they will) look out, cause I am coming for that Gorge 93!! :D Dont worry..You will find the love again...you are just in a funk! ;)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I pretty much only get the poster from gigs I've gone too. Some, but, not all.
    ... and i'm out of wallspace.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    Tackalac wrote:

mate - i can assure you i still line up for posters for the shows im at - i swap or beg posters designs i like from shows i dont go to - and my one ambition will be to have that bloody zebra on my wall before i die
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    I grab one if I like the art.

Plus, I already have the best one anyway.

:D

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/nukeboot/PJ9.jpg
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    nukeboot wrote:
    I grab one if I like the art.

Plus, I already have the best one anyway.

:D

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/nukeboot/PJ9.jpg

That is amazing! The custom mat job is awesome on that!!
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    i think the craze will deviate and fluctuate from day to day ,...year to year ,
    but overall there will always be the collectors feeding into the cycle of silkscreened poster art collecting.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    happy2beherehappy2behere Posts: 148
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i think the craze will deviate and fluctuate from day to day ,...year to year ,
    but overall there will always be the collectors feeding into the cycle of silkscreened poster art collecting.

i will be at the WPB show. doors open at 6, PJ goes on at 8:45. what am i suppose to do for almost 3 hours?
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    i will be at the WPB show. doors open at 6, PJ goes on at 8:45. what am i suppose to do for almost 3 hours?

take a nap ? :confused:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Notch89Notch89 Posts: 71

Enjoy the lovely FL weather.:D
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424

Hang out. Take in the splendor of the venue which will soon be torn open by the greatest American band ever.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I sure hope so
    because its been a royal pain to get them since the 2003 tour

before then-no problem s/n, at shows whatever
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,641

They sell beer don't they?
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    i only buy posters to the shows i go to. then i get pissed if i get shut out there, then also here because someone who was not at the show wants a momento from a show they did not even attend.

i think thats bogus.

i still wish you could purchase a poster for the gig right here through the 10c.
    then you dont have to worry about it.
    if you buy tickets through the 10c you get first crack at the posters. would make things a lot less stressful.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Good idea. Stress free buying if you get 10C tickets.

I only collect posters to shows I've attended.

I did buy the Kenyon Hall to finish my EV trilogy however.

As of now I have every poster to everyshow I've gone to.... except the Tsunami relief one.

I just bought it for $150.00 hopefully it is in the mail. It is signed by Eddie, Beck, Tenacious D, Josh Homme, and Wil Ferrell.

Totally sweet.

Can't wait to have my grubby mits on it and then I can stop worrying that my collection is incomplete.
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    Wilds wrote:
    Good idea. Stress free buying if you get 10C tickets.

I only collect posters to shows I've attended.

I did buy the Kenyon Hall to finish my EV trilogy however.

As of now I have every poster to everyshow I've gone to.... except the Tsunami relief one.

I just bought it for $150.00 hopefully it is in the mail. It is signed by Eddie, Beck, Tenacious D, Josh Homme, and Wil Ferrell.

Totally sweet.

Can't wait to have my grubby mits on it and then I can stop worrying that my collection is incomplete.

Sounds like you got a pretty decent deal there.
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Yeah. It sold for $100.00 at the show. I didn't even know about it.

Then it was selling for upwards of $500.00 on eBay after the show.

The most recent one went for around $275.00 or so.

The one I bought was being auctioned by someone with a 3 feedback for $250.00

I offered $150.00, she said no, it didn't sell, she relisted for $199.00, I fought off the urge to buy, it didn't sell, then she accepted my offer for $150.00.

Until it arrives however I'm nervous. Indeed it was a good price.
  • Options
    ovechkin8ovechkin8 Posts: 491

BUY MERCH!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Wilds wrote:
    Yeah. It sold for $100.00 at the show. I didn't even know about it.

Then it was selling for upwards of $500.00 on eBay after the show.

The most recent one went for around $275.00 or so.

The one I bought was being auctioned by someone with a 3 feedback for $250.00

I offered $150.00, she said no, it didn't sell, she relisted for $199.00, I fought off the urge to buy, it didn't sell, then she accepted my offer for $150.00.

Until it arrives however I'm nervous. Indeed it was a good price.

congrats hope the deal goes through.

the only poster im looking for is the Cincinnati 03 poster. show canceled, but i had tickets. so i would like that one. but since the show didnt really happen, it dont kill me to not have it.

i have all the posters to the shows that ive been to. well the shows that had posters that is.

3 of the shows ive been to didnt have a poster.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The poster craze helped me get to the front at the Vic. Most people in front of me stormed the merch booth.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    Tackalac wrote:
    For the first time ever, I don't plan to figure out how to get posters at the shows....

hey, you got a life! congratulations!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    hey, you got a life! congratulations!

Okay.....that was kind of funny...:D It hurts, but it was still funny! ;)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    Okay.....that was kind of funny...:D It hurts, but it was still funny! ;)

I've always been on the fence when it comes to you poster collectors. half of me says "these guys are fucking crazy for wasting money on lame posters" but the other half of me says "hey, at least they REALLY like Pearl Jam"
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    I've always been on the fence when it comes to you poster collectors. half of me says "these guys are fucking crazy for wasting money on lame posters" but the other half of me says "hey, at least they REALLY like Pearl Jam"

poster craze is overrated but thats ok to each their own :) right?

you are right, at least they are PJ fans