Options

Death of the Poster Era

2»

Comments

• Options
    corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    Tackalac wrote:
    Anyone else smell the end of the poster craze?
    Let's hope so.

Buy one, bring it home and just be quiet about it, fer god's sake!

You people are plumb crazy :p
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    Tackalac wrote:
    Anyone else smell the end of the poster craze? I think the Zenith has occured......For the first time ever, I don't plan to figure out how to get posters at the shows.... The whole thing is so popular it just doesnt feel right anymore. Flippers, the attitudes, the distraction, the lack of new material, the availability on Ebay,......I just feel the mystique is gone.

I know you poster hounds will be thankful that I wont be in line, but I am going to 7 shows and, for the first time ever, I am not going to be worried about posters in my seat or in my bag for all 7 of those shows......

Do you think you could get me one, two, or seven then?
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    i will be at the WPB show. doors open at 6, PJ goes on at 8:45. what am i suppose to do for almost 3 hours?

Get a snack, watch people, walk around, chat with friends, give the opening act a chance, watch the arena go from almost empty to completely full, enjoy the fact that you're not at work, but at a Pearl Jam show!

I have a few posters. Not hardcore about it. I have to like the artwork; just because it says Pearl Jam on it doesn't mean I have to have it, if its some monster in the picture or something.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
    Tackalac wrote:
    Anyone else smell the end of the poster craze? I think the Zenith has occured......For the first time ever, I don't plan to figure out how to get posters at the shows.... The whole thing is so popular it just doesnt feel right anymore. Flippers, the attitudes, the distraction, the lack of new material, the availability on Ebay,......I just feel the mystique is gone.

I know you poster hounds will be thankful that I wont be in line, but I am going to 7 shows and, for the first time ever, I am not going to be worried about posters in my seat or in my bag for all 7 of those shows......

posters were never relevant. it was kind of an ego thing to show your "friends" ooh look where i have been. plus if you are out on your own and have posters up, you're kind of a child
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    posters were never relevant. it was kind of an ego thing to show your "friends" ooh look where i have been. plus if you are out on your own and have posters up, you're kind of a child

Kind of like video games? :rolleyes:
    NERDS!
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

OUCH!! ;) Although I guess I never really did grow up completely...:)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Art is in the eye of the beholder. There are a lot of artists who paint or sculpt rather than silkscreen that I would never display in my house. Just becuase it is a gig poster does not mean it is childish.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    eyesnoeyeseyesnoeyes Posts: 50
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

Sorry, but this is another shining example of someone trying to post opinion as fact. Maybe they're not relevant to you, but it's a pretty ridiculously sweeping statement to claim that you can judge relevancy in some objective manner.

I'd suggest you read the foreword by Wayne Coyne in 'The Art of Modern Rock' book by Grushkin - that's the most concise attempt at putting into words the attraction that many of us have to this art form. Oh, and not to ruin the surprise but it's not so we can impress our friends...
    'She runs through my veins like a long, black river and rattles my cage like a thunderstorm...' R. Adams.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    MattyJoe wrote:
    I never would've thought it would matter if the "mystique" is gone. You should just enjoy having your posters as mementos of the amazing shows you've seen. Who cares about how much they're worth or how rare they are? Their value should lie in what they mean to you.

exactly. in italy 2006, first time i bought a pj poster and kept it for myself. i've bought many at other shows for friends. i never bought for myself before then b/c i KNEW i'd get the bug and want from all shows i attend, etc...and didn't want that to happen. i thought italy was a special thing for me, all 5 shows on 1 poster, etc. perhaps if i'd not returned to europe in 2007 for more shows...i may've been able to limit myself to that one and only special italian poster. :p however, posters were simply too easy to get in europe, couldn't help myself! suffice to say, since returning, i have gotten all my other shows' posters since. :o i love em, it's great....but yea, i know what a bitch it can be to get posters at certain shows, and i don't relish now being involved in that.....eh well. i'm in now. so fuck mystique....don't care. it's all about the memories for me. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow