Options

Pearl Jam At The Beacon !!!! Robin Hood Foundation!

Comments

• Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    For those who don't know, the Robin Hood Foundation gives away millions of dollars to NYC area nonprofits every year. (I can't recall exactly, but I think its around $70-80 million?) Unlike many foundations, they are committed to giving away every dollar brought in as donations -- all "administrative expenses" for the Foundation are covered by board members.

To raise this kind of amount cash every year, they hold events like these to bring in the dollars. In NYC, big ticket fundraising events go for high prices...its just the way it is. Some may argue that the band should just play a show at a large venue with lower prices and donate the proceeds to the Foundation, but quite frankly it will not bring in the amount that an exclusive event like this will. (Last time I saw figures, gross, not net revenue, for bands at MSG come in around $1-2 million.)

NY PJ1 is right on...in NYC it really is about who you know. You have to know the right people to open the right doors. It sucks, but thats life in the Big Apple.

I'm not a member of the Foundation, but from what I understand they've not yet gone "public" about the show yet and won't for another few weeks - hence the silence from PJ/10 Club.

Robin Hood is an very interesting foundation - they aren't like most others, they are very business-like in their approach and focus on seeing "results". Hence their popularity with the Wall Street crowd here.

Hiya bud :D fancy to see you posting here ;)
  • Options
    Hiya bud :D fancy to see you posting here ;)

when are we meeting up next?
  • Options
    when are we meeting up next?

no formal meet up scheduled. let me know if you want to do lunch or meet up for drinks after work. we'll figure something out!
  • Options
    Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,563
    not sure if this was covered earlier in this thread, but through emailing someone at the foundation, I found out that as of now the concert is for donors only, and those who have donated at least $200 to robin hood. they do not have info on ticket prices but there will be a formal announcement on May 28th, when tickets go on sale. it sounded like you can still donate the $200 and be eligible. without knowing ticket prices that seems like a pretty tall order.
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    not sure if this was covered earlier in this thread, but through emailing someone at the foundation, I found out that as of now the concert is for donors only, and those who have donated at least $200 to robin hood. they do not have info on ticket prices but there will be a formal announcement on May 28th, when tickets go on sale. it sounded like you can still donate the $200 and be eligible. without knowing ticket prices that seems like a pretty tall order.

tough choice to make

the tickets are gonna be big cash ,,that we know
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,662
    This will be the show of the year.

Why?

What will they do that we haven't seen/heard before?

Do you think they will pull out all the rare gem never before played songs for a crowd of big wigs?

Hmmmmmm.....

Actually I'm just kinda psyched this event means they will stay on the east coast a bit longer, maybe more affordable opportunities will present themselves in the upcoming weeks.
  • Options
    URthekey wrote:
    Why?

What will they do that we haven't seen/heard before?

Do you think they will pull out all the rare gem never before played songs for a crowd of big wigs?

Hmmmmmm.....

Actually I'm just kinda psyched this event means they will stay on the east coast a bit longer, maybe more affordable opportunities will present themselves in the upcoming weeks.

have u been to the beacon?
    nothing like a little tiny place WITH SEATS !!!! LOL
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    tough choice to make

the tickets are gonna be big cash ,,that we know

Yeah but the real question is how much will be tax deductable?? :D
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    ovechkin8ovechkin8 Posts: 491
    beacon is hardly tiny and this won't be the show of the year.

wanna talk about epic, talk about irving plaza. that was something special.
  • Options
    ovechkin8 wrote:
    beacon is hardly tiny and this won't be the show of the year.

wanna talk about epic, talk about irving plaza. that was something special.

yes that was epic

but how can u say the beacon isnt 's tiny?

every seat feels like you're on top of the stage
  • Options
    Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,563
    2008 is looking alot like the 2005 canadian tour with the closer at hob in chicago
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,662
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    have u been to the beacon?
    nothing like a little tiny place WITH SEATS !!!! LOL

Many times.

I don't think the sound is as good as in other NYC theaters, especially in the balcony.

And $8 for a dixie cup of beer... jeez!!!!
  • Options
    URthekey wrote:
    Many times.

I don't think the sound is as good as in other NYC theaters, especially in the balcony.

WOW. I strongly disagree - I think the sound at the Beacon is the best in NY.
  • Options
    i am exhausting all of my resources to try and get into this show. as of now, i still feel like i won't attend, but i really really hope i get surprised...by someone....anyone
  • Options
    So basically you have to make a donation of at least $200, and that secures you a CHANCE to buy tickets?

Just trying to figure this out.. my boss @ work loves PJ as well, and donates money every year to a different charity. I was asked to get some info on this.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • Options
    So basically you have to make a donation of at least $200, and that secures you a CHANCE to buy tickets?

Just trying to figure this out.. my boss @ work loves PJ as well, and donates money every year to a different charity. I was asked to get some info on this.

i wish the members would post on this thread for everyone :rolleyes:
  • Options
    URthekey wrote:
    Many times.

i agree about the beer... lol but thats about it
  • Options
    blazedoutbeeblazedoutbee Posts: 239
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i agree about the beer... lol but thats about it

The booze was free at the last event. Open bar on every floor and when you got to your seat there was a poster and a tee shirt on your seat. This was a rocking show and the Stones pulled out all the stops. They raised 14 million for one show. This will be the show of the year, for sure. Ten times better than Irving Plaza which I attended. You can check out pictures from that show at this link. Can't wait for this on!!!

http://shidoobeewithstonesdoug.yuku.com/topic/13852/t/March-14-Radio-City-Music-Hall-NYC.html
  • Options
    10x better than irving? its uncommon for pearl jam to play a place the size of the beacon, but it happens relatively often these days.

they NEVER play venues that hold a thousand people, EVER. EVER.
  • Options
    ovechkin8 wrote:
    10x better than irving? its uncommon for pearl jam to play a place the size of the beacon, but it happens relatively often these days.

they NEVER play venues that hold a thousand people, EVER. EVER.

Well I guess I won't see you at the show then.
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,223
    This will be the show of the year, for sure. Ten times better than Irving Plaza which I attended.

Sure it is. Irving was filled with people who slept on a sidewalk for a day to get in and they just had an album come, but THIS will show for the rich will be 10x better. OK.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    This is for charity bone head I'm sure they'll pull out some gems. Just wait and see when you hear the bootleg. I waited in line for 9 hours and still got tickets to Irving Plaza. Plus that was a FREE show, with open bar on every floor this is sure to be better than the Plaza!!!
  • Options
    nah blazed, don't h ate
    i'm gonna try to piggyback on some of my chump friends in the media..if that doesn't work, scalp city...but i'll see ya there.

but seriously...irving plaza was once in a lifetime

i saw them at the northwest school benefit @the paramount, thats comparable to the beacon...its not the same
  • Options
    I fucking hate Long Island.
  • Options
    why are we comparing shows

IRVING WAS EPIC AND THE BEACON WILL BE ALSO
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    why are we comparing shows

IRVING WAS EPIC AS WILL THE BEACON

True just glad after years of donating I finally have a heads up on everybody. No douche bag scalpers, just to people who have donated for two or more years. No scalpers because douche bag scalpers don't donate!
  • Options
    This is for charity bone head I'm sure they'll pull out some gems. Just wait and see when you hear the bootleg. I waited in line for 9 hours and still got tickets to Irving Plaza. Plus that was a FREE show, with open bar on every floor this is sure to be better than the Plaza!!!

no need to name call. There will be some diehards there but no where near as many as Irving. Plus Irving was GA which, IMO, is usually better. I doubt it will be a VIC like setlist. People are paying big bucks to see them play thier hits. Not Undone. But whatever have fun. Six shows is enough for me this summer, and I have already had my small shows (Irving Borgata Vic Storytellers) but will try to get tix to this too but if I dont, I already know what I am missing.

• Options
    True just glad after years of donating I finally have a heads up on everybody. No douche bag scalpers, just to people who have donated for two or more years. No scalpers because douche bag scalpers don't donate!

i hear ya,,,but ..... if their are hard tickets,, u can bet scalpers will get a few
  • Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    no need to name call. There will be some diehards there but no where near as many as Irving. Plus Irving was GA which, IMO, is usually better. I doubt it will be a VIC like setlist. People are paying big bucks to see them play thier hits. Not Undone. But whatever have fun. Six shows is enough for me this summer, and I have already had my small shows (Irving Borgata Vic Storytellers) but will try to get tix to this too but if I dont, I already know what I am missing.

Just poking fun I just go to school with everybody that's from Long Island. Good people horrible place to live.
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i hear ya,,,but ..... if their are hard tickets,, u can bet scalpers will get a few

Are you trying to be resonable? He is going to the greatest rock n roll show PJ has and will ever play. Dont rain on his parade.