Options

is pearl jam still relevant today?

suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
edited February 2008 in The Porch
that's whats buggin' me now. WTF? all the people i know here think that vitalogy was their last album. some of them think that their albums from no code up sucked. some of them couldn't believe that they are still around. they always make joke that the band that i like is a passe nowadays and these all sucked.

are they still relevant today?
scratching my butt...
kinakamot ang aking puwit...
me rascando pompis...
krap mijn reet...
boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
bahrosh teezy...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jessejesse Posts: 170
    yes
  • Options
    Gather No MossGather No Moss Omaha Posts: 339
    You should try being a Bob Dylan fan....lol.. It is way worse.. The way I look at it, it's their loss, and less people fighting for tickets!!
    Buy the ticket, Take the ride..

10/20/91 (Omaha), 7/25/92 (Lolla/Denver), 3/7/94 (Denver), 6/20/95 (Red Rocks), 11/14/97 (Oakland), 6/23/98 (Denver), 10/25/00 (SD), 6/05/03 (SD), 10/8/04 (FL), 7/2/06 (Denver), 7/17/08 (VH1-Who Tribute LA), 10/6/09 (LA), 10/7/09 (LA), 9/3/11 & 9/4/11(PJ20), 12/06/13 (Seattle), 10/09/14 (Lincoln)..
  • Options
    suns rival wrote:
    that's whats buggin' me now. WTF? all the people i know here think that vitalogy was their last album. some of them think that their albums from no code up sucked. some of them couldn't believe that they are still around. they always make joke that the band that i like is a passe nowadays and these all sucked.

are they still relevant today?

For people who don't have the ability to appreciate great and meaningful music, no, they are not relevant.
    Free the West Memphis Three
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    yes, because they can still sell-old concerts.
    selling albums and records on the other, not really. well, they just have to make great music like they used to in the the 90's from Ten-Yield.

also, tell your friends they watch too much TV. :p
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    i can see the point they have if they think that Vitology was their LAST great album... obviously there is a lot more great stuff from the band. Who gives a shit what they think anyway... if their music is still meaningful to you today as it was when you first heard them... So be it!
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    my lolo said they are still relevant!
    "I had a false belief
    I thought I came here to stay
    We're all just visiting
    All just breaking like waves.."

07/09/06
    07/10/06
    07/15/06
  • Options
    Pearl Jam will ALWAYS be RELEVANT!
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Gandhi

"Empty pockets will Allow a greater Sense of wealth...." EV/ITW
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Was the Greatful Dead ever relevant? Not to the masses. Pearl Jam is not the taste of the emo/boy band/pop crowd and never will be.

The early to mid 90's were a different time and everything hit like a perfect storm.

So many artists proved you don't have to be the darling's of KROQ or MTV to put out great music and have great fans.

Now the RHCP seem to have more of a cross over in terms of popularity. I would never count PJ out of "hitting" it again to the mainstream.

Personally I do care. I love when their music makes it's way to more people. Sharing the love of my favorite band.

It is what it is. Let's see what happens for the next 10 albums. :-)
  • Options
    the majority out there onlys see whats put on a plate in front of them. really only stuff up to Vitology gets played on mainstream radio, so thats all they know.
    let them sit in their paddock eating the grass like sheep whilst we wolves move in the forest of real music.
    PJ deliberatly made the move away, wanting only the real fans/music lovers to follow them in their journey.
    I have enjoyed the ride. MAY IT CONTINUE FOR A LONG TIME YET
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    who cares what other people think?
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    UnkeptUnkept Posts: 65
    Well, they're as relavent as they need to be. They can still make music, and tour in arenas. Every single band around has their moment when they are the newest, biggest thing. But unless you're the Stones, most acts dwindle...but there are a handful of acts who tour to big crowds and continue to catch the publics ear from time to time. Pearl Jam is one of those acts...the most important thing to me is that they stay true to themselves and never try to be relavent...historically it's when acts try to be relavent that they fall flat. Unless you think Springsteen's Dancing In the Dark was a watershed moment for the Boss, Shakedown Street was the ultimate Dead, and Emotional Rescue was the real peak of the Stones Career...As the world has changed, and the record industry collapses, it'll be interesting to see how long some of todays big groups hold up. Maybe we'll see the Plain White T's touring arenas 16 years from now...but I doubt it..
  • Options
    they are honestly pretty damn relevant. still very influential. they still headline. still occasionaly make headlines.
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    The fact that they still sell out 90% of their show's...their last album went gold (as good as platinum these day's)...they headline every festival they do...they still go on SNL...Letterman...Storytellers...Ed was on Iconaclasts...ect

I'd say they are still very relevant!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    They're still relevant to me, and they're definitely relevant to the thousands of fans who still buy their records and snap up tickets to their gigs. And that's really all that matters. They're about as far from the mainstream as possible right now, and yet they continue to sell out 20,000-seat arenas everywhere they play. That's pretty damn impressive. I have a feeling they're gonna be around for a long time to come.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    People change, their tastes change and music changes...not always at the same rate.
    Some get left behind.
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • Options
    my girlfriend says no.

however,

there are still times I drive around in my car. Listening to a pj song I've heard a thousand times before and I can still get goosebumps. I'll think to myself.... "Fuck! Why doesn't everyone else see how fucking good this is!"

Just be thankful you get it.
    tacos
  • Options
    yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    iwasthere wrote:
    my girlfriend says no.

however,

there are still times I drive around in my car. Listening to a pj song I've heard a thousand times before and I can still get goosebumps. I'll think to myself.... "Fuck! Why doesn't everyone else see how fucking good this is!"

Just be thankful you get it.
    no matter how many times I hear Black at Benaroya Hall...i get the goosebumps when the crowd sings at the end.
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    who gives a shit? you think PJ cares? i mean it would be cool i guess if more people knew/liked them, but we knowwho we are, and PJ knows who their fans are. thats all that counts.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    direwolf74 wrote:
    They're still relevant to me, and they're definitely relevant to the thousands of fans who still buy their records and snap up tickets to their gigs. And that's really all that matters. They're about as far from the mainstream as possible right now, and yet they continue to sell out 20,000-seat arenas everywhere they play. That's pretty damn impressive. I have a feeling they're gonna be around for a long time to come.

yes. they are still relevant, prevalent for that matter, to me ;]
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    Everybody think differently and thank god for that , Pearl jam is Pearl jam and the Beatles are the Beatles .; what is count for me is i appreciate Pearl JAM , when other people do not like it i don't care ....
    once understand life is not fair
    everything become more clear and simple
    wish to all of you freedom
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Rose1963 wrote:
    Pearl Jam will ALWAYS be RELEVANT!

I'll second that!
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,559
    While I think ten-vitalogy is pearl jams best work, I still appreciate their later offerings. Riot Act and Avocado have both been miss albums for me, but they havent stopped my interest for the band.

The reason for this is the live shows and the fact that I never ever get tired of listening to ten, vs and vitalogy. No Code is also played alot and into the wild is fantastic!

A possible return og Brendan O'Brian is music in my ears! I hope its true..
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    Rock music in general seems to be less relevant as it used to be, the whole scene is overflowed with other stuff. But as long as Pearl Jam are around they will remain relevant and important to us, that's all that counts.
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I think they are still relevant but maybe for reasons outside of the music, the whole fan club thing (ticketswise) was done in large part because of ten club, the idea of selling the shows was also-while not their idea completely- was pushed by the band and a lot of people who suck sound like shitty version of Ten a lot of cool bands that you wouldn't think of speak of them as influential, so in the grand scheme of things hells yeah, to someone who doesn't know better not really.

The preceding message was a run on sentence
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    your talking about a country where Hannah Montana is considered a top draw...

so basically i could care less if anyone thinks they are still relevant...if they werent, they still wouldnt be around
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I think pearl jam are relevant to the people that matter in music... Who cares if they arent relevant to the mainstream. I believe they are relevaant to the right people. Dylan, Young, Waits have the same issues with the mainstream and always will.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    no.

never were, really.
  • Options
    dolly rockerdolly rocker Long Beach NY Posts: 343
    not they're style to be concerned about that nonsense,, Im 32 and been listening to them from the limelight days in nyc..i was hooked instantly
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Radiohead
    Pearl Jam
    Nick Cave
    REM

all still very relevant
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    I think they are more relevant now than ever before.with the last album being so political in a time when things NEED to be said,they are one of the very few that are saying them.

and in this age of "disposable music" they are fucking Mozart's!! sorry to say your friends just have shit taste and/or are closed minded.

i listen to more genres of music than most people,and if it was the "desert island" scenario for me,I'm taking PJ with me!!!!!!!!!!!

that's why i love you guys,i can be around people who feel the same way!!(can you feel the love?) :):):)