Options

is pearl jam still relevant today?

2»

Comments

• Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    they are probably more relevant than most bands out there today. i dont think a lot of people know who they are because they are not media whores. they dont do videos. . . but for that matter neither does mtv or vh1 anymore.

maybe if ed got a picture taken with his crotch exposed in front of a trendy restaraunt in downtown hollywood they would become more relevant in the eyes of many people again. that, and a stint in rehab. . .
  • Options
    diggy381 wrote:
    maybe if ed got a picture taken with his crotch exposed in front of a trendy restaraunt in downtown hollywood they would become more relevant in the eyes of many people again. that, and a stint in rehab. . .

man..that was funny,truthful and sick all at the same time!! good one!
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    If they are relevant to you(us), then nothing else should matter. That is how I look at them. I couldnt give two shits what others think about them. They do a lot for the community, other charities, they try to make the world a better place(carbon portfoilio, Stone's GREEN house), take good care of their fans for the most part and they keep making the music THEY want too. That is enough for me. :D
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    suns rival wrote:
    that's whats buggin' me now. WTF? all the people i know here think that vitalogy was their last album. some of them think that their albums from no code up sucked. some of them couldn't believe that they are still around. they always make joke that the band that i like is a passe nowadays and these all sucked.

are they still relevant today?

not really. they're still a phenomenal live act, and the way they conduct their affairs is still pretty trailblazing (technology issues aside). but musically, they're not really doing anything new. that's ok though. it's the way of things. bands have some time in the limelight making new and exciting music, then pass the torch on to the next generation to take it to the next step. they still make good music, it's just classic music. they're at the point in their career where, like the rolling stones or tragically hip, they're essentially making solid, enjoyable music for their fans, and doing tours that remind people of just why they still love them. they've aged very well, far better than most. but they are no longer and probably never again will be a central influence in the music world.
  • Options
    not really. they're still a phenomenal live act, and the way they conduct their affairs is still pretty trailblazing (technology issues aside). but musically, they're not really doing anything new. that's ok though. it's the way of things. bands have some time in the limelight making new and exciting music, then pass the torch on to the next generation to take it to the next step. they still make good music, it's just classic music. they're at the point in their career where, like the rolling stones or tragically hip, they're essentially making solid, enjoyable music for their fans, and doing tours that remind people of just why they still love them. they've aged very well, far better than most. but they are no longer and probably never again will be a central influence in the music world.

yeah,because there is soooo much innovation in today's music!! There is no one to pass a torch to,music today SUCKS,the "bands" (i use that term very loosely)SUCK!!!
    and when it comes to a live show no one beats PJ,past or present.

as far as "central influence" goes.grunge was the last good thing to happen to rock. these fucking no talent clowns they try push on us on the radio are garbage!! it's like the NBA,there are no REAL talented "super stars" left,so the hype machine is in overdrive putting perfume on pigs.
  • Options
    j.roj.ro Posts: 111
    Any band or person that can sell out an entire tour in like 5 seconds is still relevant. However, if you measure relevance by which purse Lindsay Lohan is carrying this week, then no...they are not...and that is what's so unfortunate.
    Oh half his life, a hand me down, wasted away
    Of he fills it up, with the love, of a girl...
  • Options
    I live in england.....a country where the charts are full of bands like the hoosiers, Scouting for Girls, Pigeon Detectives and other NME Topman sponsered dross......so yeah to me Pearl Jam are really relevent as they sing about things that matter and, *shock, horror* have opinions of their own.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    fuck what the people you know think about pearl jam

if you like them then thats all that matters
    its just their loss at the end of the day that they cant hear great music
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,303
    who cares what other people think?

thank you
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    suns rival wrote:
    that's whats buggin' me now. WTF? all the people i know here think that vitalogy was their last album. some of them think that their albums from no code up sucked. some of them couldn't believe that they are still around. they always make joke that the band that i like is a passe nowadays and these all sucked.

yeah, i still believe they are relevant. one of the major reasons why is because of their fan base. its HUGE and truly dedicated. PJ came out of a scene in which every other band has broken up and they are still acclaimed critically and commercially. maybe not as much as other bands/singers out there, but PJ gets their respect.
    sadly, i believe that they will not be fully appreciated until they break up. that's when critics and music fans alike will understand what the band has done for music. the same can be said for bands like radiohead
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    yeah,because there is soooo much innovation in today's music!! There is no one to pass a torch to,music today SUCKS,the "bands" (i use that term very loosely)SUCK!!!
    and when it comes to a live show no one beats PJ,past or present.

as far as "central influence" goes.grunge was the last good thing to happen to rock. these fucking no talent clowns they try push on us on the radio are garbage!! it's like the NBA,there are no REAL talented "super stars" left,so the hype machine is in overdrive putting perfume on pigs.

funny, that's what the hair metal bands said about grunge. and that's what the boogie bands said about hair metal. and that's what the psychedelic bands said about boogie. and that's what the emo/indie fans will say about whatever comes next. the world has passed you by. stop living in the past. you just look foolish.
  • Options
    they're relevent to me and thats all that matters.
  • Options
    funny, that's what the hair metal bands said about grunge. and that's what the boogie bands said about hair metal. and that's what the psychedelic bands said about boogie. and that's what the emo/indie fans will say about whatever comes next. the world has passed you by. stop living in the past. you just look foolish.

it's funny that you equate progression with embracing whatever crappy music is out at the time.To this day Led Zeppelin is still one of the best bands EVER,does that mean I'm living in the past or does it mean that finding greatness is something that doesn't happen too often?

if being current means embracing crap I'll go on living in the past!!

foolish? hardly.
    the problem is weak minded sheeple let Madison avenue tell them what is "in" and what is not.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    I think the real question here is "Would any of us like Pearl Jam less if we could determine they are no longer relevant?".

If you answered 'yes' (which is probably NONE of us), then thanks and enjoy your short stay. For the rest (which is probably EVERYONE here), let's have a good time listening to albums and bootlegs and attending concerts, not worrying whether these guys matter to the mainstream. That's an endless debate that probably won't convert many new listeners.

They entertain us and occasionally challenge us, too. Isn't that enough?

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    I don't know about PJ, but I'm still relevent...
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Options
    simpleman wrote:
    I don't know about PJ, but I'm still relevent...

from dictionary .com

bearing upon or connected with the matter in hand;

So it depends on what you are talking about.

If you are talking about grunge music, yes,
    if you are talking about songs depicting man on man sex.. with thumbs, yes,
    if you are talking about recent smash hit albums, no.
  • Options
    from dictionary .com

bearing upon or connected with the matter in hand;

So it depends on what you are talking about.

If you are talking about grunge music, yes,
    if you are talking about songs depicting man on man sex.. with thumbs, yes,
    if you are talking about recent smash hit albums, no.

You clearly must have seen my " Thumbs 'R' Us " video. What did you think about it?
  • Options
    simpleman wrote:
    You clearly must have seen my " Thumbs 'R' Us " video. What did you think about it?

I have not... please show it to me. I just see the way Eddie and Boom both close their eyes during "Thumbing my way" and think back to those wonderful nights on the beach they had together under the stars.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    suns rival wrote:

I was baking anise biscotti this morning to E. Rutherford '06 #1 bootleg, and I was so happy! They are relevant in my life that's for sure.

Pussies no more! it's almost as relevant as There's no place like home.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    I have not... please show it to me. I just see the way Eddie and Boom both close their eyes during "Thumbing my way" and think back to those wonderful nights on the beach they had together under the stars.

I never thought about that... maybe those lyrics were originally written in the sand, or better yet, on Boom's back!!
  • Options
    simpleman wrote:
    I never thought about that... maybe those lyrics were originally written in the sand, or better yet, on Boom's back!!

Ha!!!
  • Options
    mrbakomrbako Posts: 54
    The only thing that I know for sure is that they are relevant to me. So yes, they are relevant. It just depends upon whom you ask. I could really give a fuck if most feel they aren't. In some ways, I prefer it this way.
  • Options
    I agree with a few points that people have made.

Yes, the band is still relevant. They try to do everything without ego, pushing environmental issues, charities and social injustice.

No, you shouldn't care what other people think or let what other people think influence your decisions.

Most bands out now do suck.

When all is said and done, when the PJ days are over....they will be recognized as our generations rebels and an inspiring force in rock. They will become part of the legendary pantheon of great bands, mentioned with the likes of Led Zeppelin, The Who, Bruce, the Beatles. The ones who decided that mainstream popularity would not determine their careers. The ones who decided to fight the big fight and learn from their mistakes. The ones who decided to try and make a difference in their profession by adamantly speaking the truth and always holding their ground.

If they weren't relevant anymore, would we be here discussing it?

EDIT: The possibility of Brendan O'Brien producing the next album makes me happy, too.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    I agree with a few points that people have made.

Yes, the band is still relevant. They try to do everything without ego, pushing environmental issues, charities and social injustice.

No, you shouldn't care what other people think or let what other people think influence your decisions.

Most bands out now do suck.

When all is said and done, when the PJ days are over....they will be recognized as our generations rebels and an inspiring force in rock. They will become part of the legendary pantheon of great bands, mentioned with the likes of Led Zeppelin, The Who, Bruce, the Beatles. The ones who decided that mainstream popularity would not determine their careers. The ones who decided to fight the big fight and learn from their mistakes. The ones who decided to try and make a difference in their profession by adamantly speaking the truth and always holding their ground.

If they weren't relevant anymore, would we be here discussing it?

EDIT: The possibility of Brendan O'Brien producing the next album makes me happy, too.

gotta agree wholeheartedly
    esp about most band sucking these days. Most will evaperate into dust only reapearing on those tv shows ( 1 hit wonders or what ever happened to).
    PJ is still drawing in young fans, these youngsters have the passion we have held for so long. That shows they are relevant to todays music.
    The beauty of music recordings is that whatever music you like is relevant to you. B4 PJ I was right into old blues standards and 60's/70's bands and they were very relevant to me
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Round Rock, Texas Posts: 555
    Relevant is a term reserved for people and things that appeal to those who overconsume the media (tv, music, movies, mags, etc) that is put out before them and try to adopt it as their own or take meaning from it. It also defines those who influence other parts of culture around them. Pearl Jam is not relevant in relation to consumerism to anyone but their fans but they are relevant in relation to activism and impacting their community. Also, Avocado generated two top fifteen songs on the modern rock chart which is not too bad as far as rock appeal goes. That is about what Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chillis, and Green Day have done with their albums give or take. Most of that comes form the major cities that are primarily liberal and get with the band.
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • Options
    I was either going to spend a ton of money to go see Pearl Jam/U2 in Hawaii, or not that much money and go to my best friend from high school's wedding in Santa Monica. I ended up going to my friend's wedding. I don't regret it, but it was funny because all of his L.A. friends know me from my visits out there to see Pearl Jam. They were all asking me if I was STILL a fan of Pearl Jam. Kind of funny, but kind of sad for them. They have missed out on SO much great music.

My other best friend from high school has a great cabin in north central Wisconsin that we used to go to all the time back in our high school/earl college days. It's defiantly low-tech up there, and that's one of it's charms. There is a CD player hooked up to a 70's era stereo though. And we all bring up music and play stuff all weekend long while we sit at the bonfire and drink and play cards, etc. I ALWAYS slip some Pearl Jam into the mix (obviously). But, I never tell them I’m going to do it. It’s always No Code through the most recent album (whatever it is at the time).

I let it play and every single time, after a couple of songs, someone will ask me “who is this”? And say that they REALLY like it. I just laugh and say it’s Pearl Jam. They are blown away by it. It’s cool because then I get to listen to “Nothing As it Seems” (or any non-first three album song) under the stars a few times during the weekend. And it’s always nice to share some great music with friends.

I don’t listen to broadcast radio anymore. I have Sirius and I listen to Lithium 24 and Alt Nation. I don’t look at American Idol or Hannah Montana or any of that stuff. Typically everything on the Top 40 is dead to me. To me, that is not “music”. It’s just marketing and promotion and repetition. That’s not to say that one of those types of songs doesn’t get stuck in my head from time-to-time. But, I just don’t put it into the same category.

All of the newer bands that I like always seem to list Pearl Jam as a major influence, or they have toured with Pearl Jam at some point. Are Incubus, My Morning Jacket, or Kings of Leon “relevant”? I saw the Foo Fighters a few nigts ago. It seemed like the fans that packed Target Center thought that they were relevant.

I don’t know. I guess sometimes I think that I’m the only “die-hard” left. Like I’m holding onto the past or something. Like I’m the only one who gets it, and no one else does. Like I should stop liking Pearl Jam because I have to let go of my past. But then I’ll go to Lollapalooza and be surrounded (for four days!) by a city of people that are crazy about Pearl Jam. Or I’ll watch from the top of a Winnebago while tens of thousands of people stream into Alpine Valley. Or I’ll go to Amsterdam and hang out with people from all over Europe that have come there to see Pearl Jam. And I could go on and on.

Pearl Jam are not relevant in terms of the machine that is out there in the world of music today. They aren’t part of celebrity gossip shows, they don’t do lame commercials (or ANY commercials), and they don’t try to be something they’re not. To me, Pearl Jam has always been an amazing collection of musicians that love to share what they are doing with like minded people. That doesn’t fit into the corporate, franchised, product based world of today’s music.

The music industry likes to point fingers at what ruined the business. But, I think it’s pretty obvious that they ruined it themselves. Maybe if they supported actual artists, instead of things that they can sell as fast as possible, the music industry wouldn’t be in the ruined state that it’s currently in. Maybe the better question would be, “Is the music industry still relevant today?”
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    they are relevant to me. . .thats all that matters to me. . .ask someone who says they aren't relevant who is, im curious
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    While PJ aren't a commercial cash cow like they were at the beginning, they are certainly still relevant. I still see the name Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder mentioned in music magazines and media. I think that's because they still have a strong fanbase of people interested in what they are doing, as well as the fact that they are so well respected by other musicians and people in the industry. Commercial sales have nothing to do with that type of relevance.

They are kind of in charge of their own relevence now though...just keep making good records. They have enough people out there who are willing to listen.
  • Options
    Daft question.
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    suns rival wrote:

Quite frankly, who cares if they're relevant or not? I recently went to the concert of an old man in his 70s playing guitar like it's going out of fashion (Carlos Santana). Someone who doesn't sell a lot of albums either, however when he tours he draws a crowd and can put on a good concert. There will always be people around who are the latest and greatest thing, and those who may not have top selling records but who can always sell out concerts and will be around for years to come, long after the latest and greatest are dead and buried in their graves. Pearl Jam belong in the latter category.