Options

Pearl Jam and The Packers

bagpipes19bagpipes19 Posts: 5
edited March 2008 in The Porch
Around 16 yrs ago, within a year or so, Brett Favre became the Green Bay quarterback, and I saw the video for Alive.

I am 32 yrs old, the Packers and Pearl Jam have become the two biggest passions in my "adult" life. The feeling I have when I am in Green Bay (I live in chicago) at a Packers game or at a Pearl Jam show is indescribeable for me. they both bring me pure joy.

Point of this post is, Favre retired this week. And I feel genuinely down that I will never get to see him play again. I mean really f-ing down. The guy brought me so much happiness (and irritation) it's like i have to grow up or something now in a way. I'm still a lifelong GB fan, but it's a weird feeling. My wife then reminded me that I still had Pearl Jam.

For all of you that feel like I do when I am at a show. or whatever you are passionate about. Enjoy it while it lasts. be thankful we can still see our favorite band. It will be a sad day when we can't.

i'm on here everyday for years, but i never post.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bagpipes19 wrote:
    Around 16 yrs ago, within a year or so, Brett Favre became the Green Bay quarterback, and I saw the video for Alive.

I am 32 yrs old, the Packers and Pearl Jam have become the two biggest passions in my "adult" life. The feeling I have when I am in Green Bay (I live in chicago) at a Packers game or at a Pearl Jam show is indescribeable for me. they both bring me pure joy.

Point of this post is, Favre retired this week. And I feel genuinely down that I will never get to see him play again. I mean really f-ing down. The guy brought me so much happiness (and irritation) it's like i have to grow up or something now in a way. I'm still a lifelong GB fan, but it's a weird feeling. My wife then reminded me that I still had Pearl Jam.

For all of you that feel like I do when I am at a show. or whatever you are passionate about. Enjoy it while it lasts. be thankful we can still see our favorite band. It will be a sad day when we can't.

Have fun watching Aaron Rogers fall on his face.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    be grateful brett retired instead of ed... as a fellow chicagoan and a bears fan ill be kind and leave it at that...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    yes the packers will go on. They will be there for you probably for ever. And one day they will be really good again.

When Pearl Jam retires..it's all over but the cryin.
  • Options
    3mvps3mvps Posts: 23
    bagpipes19 wrote:

same here, born in MIL. and moved out west. Thay are the two biggest passions in my life as well. Rodgers will be fine
    Hustlas prayer: If the game shakes me or breaks me I hope it makes me a better man Take a better stand Put money in my moms hand Get my daughter this college plan, so she dont need no man Stay far from timid Only make moves when ya hearts in it And live the phrase skys the limit
  • Options
    SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
    Rumors are he will be back.

Know where you are coming from. Felt that way when Marino was kicked out.

Most recently when the Orange Bowl was scheduled to be torn down. Life long memories there, beginig with marino ending with the birth of my son.

damn....
    See this needle...a see my hand...
    Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
    Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
    Turn me up...won't turn you away...
  • Options
    3mvps3mvps Posts: 23
    SBC03 wrote:
    Rumors are he will be back.

Know where you are coming from. Felt that way when Marino was kicked out.

Most recently when the Orange Bowl was scheduled to be torn down. Life long memories there, beginig with marino ending with the birth of my son.

damn....

Hes not coming back. Trust me.
    Hustlas prayer: If the game shakes me or breaks me I hope it makes me a better man Take a better stand Put money in my moms hand Get my daughter this college plan, so she dont need no man Stay far from timid Only make moves when ya hearts in it And live the phrase skys the limit
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Packers and Pearl Jam........two of my faves!!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    onejourneyonejourney Posts: 285
    Nobody will ever be like Brett...I know how you feel.
    "...just be glad you have the music and cherish it for yourself..." -stateoflove79
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    It's been a sad couple of days here in Milwaukee....
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    I just saw his announcement and watching him tear up...It was tough to see him leave.
  • Options
    AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Amherst, Massachusetts Posts: 1,510
    Who is Brett Favre?
  • Options
    Yield98Yield98 Posts: 151
    yes the packers will go on. They will be there for you probably for ever. And one day they will be really good again.

When Pearl Jam retires..it's all over but the cryin.

Great point...I'm afraid to even think of that day!!
    Peace, Love, Pearl Jam

Alpine 98,00,03 TFC 99, Chicago 00,03,09(2X) St. Louis 03, Champagne 03, St. Paul 03, 06(2X), 14, Noblesville 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04,06, Thunder Bay 05, Cleveland 06, Lolla 07, Roo 08, PJ20 X2, Wrigley 13 & 16, Portland/Spokane/Seattle 13, Milwaukee 14, Fenway 18X2, Quebec City/Ottawa 22
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    bagpipes19 wrote:

post more. have a popscicle. and cheer up. the packers are young. and good. and brett will never throw another season ending interception.
  • Options
    bagpipes19 wrote:

When I read your post, I had to share with you something I wrote to another group I belong to, that I wrote earlier today. It is stunningly similar to your thoughts today:

"...Well...sorry to sound so ominous, but, I just watched Brett Favre's
    retirement announcement, and damned if I didn't cry right along with
    him :(

Brett Favre is my age. I think one of the reasons I'm so sad about
    his retirement, is that I've been watching him for so many
    years...from the time my daughter was born...to now. He seemed...to
    not age. We've all aged...but, Brett played on...and what a wonderful
    man. What class.

I'm so glad that he had the wonderful year he did last year. He gave
    us a wonderful ride. The January 12th GB vs. Seattle Seahawks game in
    the snow was just a joy to watch. Brett Favre is just a wonderful
    gift to us football fans. I'm a Minnesota Viking fan, from MN...so,
    it is a bit of an oddity that I love GB with Brett as QB as much as I
    do...but, I'm not ashamed to say that he has given me a lot of joy
    watching him play. He played with such enthusiam, excitement and
    youth. He just embodied everything that I love about football.

I'm sad to see him go. With his retirement, goes a bit of my youth as
    well. I've often felt younger just by watching him out there playing
    with those young kids...thinking..."Hey...look at him...he's MY
    AGE"!!!

You ROCK Brett Favre! Thanks for everything! I'll miss you.

PreciousKittyKat =^..^=
    In a dark and somber mood...saddened to see Brett ride off into the
    sunset.

Six months, three weeks, four days, 3 hours, 33 minutes and 58
    seconds. 4182 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,255.14. Life saved: 2
    weeks, 12 hours, 30 minutes.
    But, as always...not smoking!"

I feel similarly about Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder...they seem timeless. If they hang it up...I swear...what will I do?!?!? They make me feel young, just like Brett did. I don't care what anybody says...I miss Brett Favre already.

Cindy
    "If you hate something, don't you do it too"~Pearl Jam
  • Options
    hidinghiding Posts: 290
    it has been a hell of a ride!
    been a packer fan since i was born!
    went to my first game at age 4 in 1978.
    got to watch brett play many times!!
    feel like i lost a buddy that i hang out with every sunday. was such a joy to have him play for us! was such a joy to watch him play!

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES BRETT!!
    one love

respect
  • Options
    byrn3535byrn3535 Posts: 127
    I used to tell people I have 2 seasons, Packer season and Pearl Jam season. Although Pearl Jam season is always 12 months. Born and raised in Wisconsin. I was a freshman in high school when Favre came to the Pack, Graduated high school the year they won the super bowl. So Many great memories that I can tie back to both PJ and the Pack. Watch footage of a great or not so great Favre play and I remember where I was then. Pop in No Code, it automatically takes me back in time. I guess his retirement just reminds me that I'm getting older now. Funny thing is I remember being mad when Majikowski went down....little did anyone know.

Congrats on a great career Brett!
    and much like Eddie and PJ, Thanks for inspiring!!!
    Byrn, (bye - earn)
    "I wanna live my life with the volume full"
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    A-Rod looked pretty good last time he had to step in for Brett.
    I think we'll be fine!
    I am proud to say, I shed a tear watching Favre's speech last night. He makes me proud to say I am a lifelong packer fan!
    I can't say it enough. I am SO THRILLED I had the chance to see Brett on MNF vs the Broncos throw that bomb to win the game in OT. That was the last NFL pass I will ever see Brett Favre throw with my own eyes, and it will not be forgotten!
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    bagpipes19 wrote:

I couldn't agree more. Living in Utah and so far away was hard, but this year was a joy and got to watch him a lot. I was at his last game, and although it was a loss, I am grateful. Brett was the reason I watch football and it will tough to not see him there. I still love the Pack, but I will be less stressed without Brett. I just wanted to see him win one more SB. Alas, PJ will fill the void.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    pjtaper wrote:
    A-Rod looked pretty good last time he had to step in for Brett.
    I think we'll be fine!
    I am proud to say, I shed a tear watching Favre's speech last night. He makes me proud to say I am a lifelong packer fan!
    I can't say it enough. I am SO THRILLED I had the chance to see Brett on MNF vs the Broncos throw that bomb to win the game in OT. That was the last NFL pass I will ever see Brett Favre throw with my own eyes, and it will not be forgotten!
    I was gonna drive over for that game, but blew it. That truly was one of the best passes I ever saw and will be the standout from his last great season. I am glad I got one of the 07 jerseys before they skyrocketed in price.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    the crows at that MNF game was top notch... Denver football fans are awesome!
    It seemed as though there were more Packer fans than Broncos fans... at the end of the game everyone was cheering, chanting go pack go, even the people in broncos jerseys...
    Everyone I talked to seemed ok with the loss, the broncos fans all seemed to say "Eh, it's Favre, you gotta love him"
    They are right!
    That speech last night was a great way for him to go...
  • Options
    TeddyledbetterTeddyledbetter Seattle, WA Posts: 473
    Aaron Rodgers will be just fine.