Options

Brain of J live

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,838
edited July 2008 in The Porch
This has become my new favorite rocker live, other than maybe Why Go (both of which I was privileged to hear in Hartford!!!!!!!) They don't play it enough imo......

It's also nice to see Stone rock a solo once in a while too since Mike usually gets all the attention.

For a ridiculously tight and dirty sounding version of it, please reference that aforementioned Hartford boot. It sounds as good as a 1998 live version of it from their Yield Tour.
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
2018 Boston I, Boston II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 Boston I, Boston II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    I love me some Brain of J!

I was at both Hartford shows & was psyched to hear it at both shows!!!!
    My lips are shaking.......
  • Options
    NC_IrieNC_Irie Posts: 270
    BOJ-does it get any better?

can anyone recommend some good live shows with this gem played?
    Empty pockets will allow a greater sense of wealth.
    Why contain yourself like any other book on the shelf?

Subtle voices in the wind hear the truth they're telling.
    A world begins where the road ends.
    Watch me leave it all behind.
  • Options
    maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    NC_Irie wrote:
    BOJ-does it get any better?

can anyone recommend some good live shows with this gem played?

YES! Hartford 2008!!! =)
    My lips are shaking.......
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,542
    For a ridiculously tight and dirty sounding version of it, please reference that aforementioned Hartford boot. It sounds as good as a 1998 live version of it from their Yield Tour.

for a GREAT and "dirty-sounding" version of Brain of JFK (actual song title back then), i'd recommend the November/'93 Hollywood,CA show at the Whiskey A Go-Go.

although that date is 2 days shy of exactly 2 years before the 1st "official" live performance the ingredients were all there for the makings of a great track, live or not :)
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    100 Pacer wrote:
    for a GREAT and "dirty-sounding" version of Brain of JFK (actual song title back then), i'd recommend the November/'93 Hollywood,CA show at the Whiskey A Go-Go.

although that date is 2 days shy of exactly 2 years before the 1st "official" live performance the ingredients were all there for the makings of a great track, live or not :)

93 really? i always thought that 95 utah show was the first time it ever surfaced. i'll have to find that earlier version..
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    pjtalipjtali Posts: 22
    11/2/95 was the first time it was palyed. I think he might be thinking of the 11/4/95 San Jose version. The best I've ever heard is 7/2/98 St. Louis. Ed's scream at the end is great!!
    DPrival78 wrote:
    93 really? i always thought that 95 utah show was the first time it ever surfaced. i'll have to find that earlier version..
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    I'm a big fan of Melbourne 98, as well as Buffalo 03 and Mansfield III

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    pjtali wrote:
    11/2/95 was the first time it was palyed. I think he might be thinking of the 11/4/95 San Jose version. The best I've ever heard is 7/2/98 St. Louis. Ed's scream at the end is great!!

LOL gee thanks, but i know which version i was thinking of as i have the tape from the 11/04/93 Hollywood,CA show (private performance, 4 songs played) and that's CLEARLY Brain of JFK being played by the band but THANKS anyway ;):)
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    This has become my new favorite rocker live, other than maybe Why Go (both of which I was privileged to hear in Hartford!!!!!!!) They don't play it enough imo......

It's also nice to see Stone rock a solo once in a while too since Mike usually gets all the attention.

i agree!!!!!!!
    danny d
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    100 Pacer wrote:
    LOL gee thanks, but i know which version i was thinking of as i have the tape from the 11/04/93 Hollywood,CA show (private performance, 4 songs played) and that's CLEARLY Brain of JFK being played by the band but THANKS anyway ;):)

This is turning into a thread of uber nerds. J/K. Brain of J is a great song and deserves a lot more play.

FYI - Since we are playing the non-official name game, I am forever going to refer to Better Man as "Stand By" since that is what it was first called.
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:

Maybe it is. I personally find it hard to belive that you have an audio source for a show that was a private performance over ten years ago. That up to this point has had nothing known about the set list and has never been circulated. What else was played?
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    pjtali wrote:
    Maybe it is. I personally find it hard to belive that you have an audio source for a show that was a private performance over ten years ago. That up to this point has had nothing known about the set list and has never been circulated. What else was played?

i'm a little curious about that too. brain of j doesn't sound like '93 pearl jam.. it's much more post-vitalogy pearl jam.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    pjtali wrote:

hehe just because you don't have the show listed in your traders database (assuming the URL in your signature is for your database) doesn't mean it didn't exist :D the show in question has been listed on the concert chronology database for as long as i can remember:

http://www.twofeetthick.com/tft/cc1993.action

the audio from this private event had been in underground circulation since shortly after the show; however, it didn't enter mainstream circulation until early '96. keep in mind, this was nearly 12 years ago - i say this because, before the torrents and trader databases came online the alt.music.pearljam traders were swapping tapes. sadly, one of the constant running themes today on the messageboard (arguing) was prevalent back then as well,...there were heated debates on both sides about the "2:1" issue (basically, offering more to receive less as opposed to a 1:1 trade). a couple of very dedicated fans names Ed and Sher had a brilliant idea which they shared with the traders in order to stop all the in-fighting: they put together a couple of FREE trade offers which were open to anyone. they went about scouring every source they could possibly get their hands on and created a couple of OUTSTANDING compilation bootlegs, "Full of Code/Surrounded By Bullshit" and "The Mudda of All Booty". Info can be found here:

http://members.aol.com/fullofcode/index.htm (check the "Spread The Jam" section)

the "Mudda" tracklisting has been edited since originally being released, as new sources and tracks became available. i heard a rumor that PJ's people asked that Brain of JFK be removed from the bootleg and not be distributed. the tape i own, which include the Nov./'93 Brain of JFK track (one of the 4 songs played that evening), was the very 1st version of the "Mudda" bootleg to hit the streets; however, the tracklisting from version listed on the website doesn't match the tracklisting on my tape and doesn't have the Brain of JFK track. also worth mentioning is that, as far as i know, the free bootlegs project as well as the Full of Code website hasn't been updated since '97. the Brain of JFK track is one of 4 tracks that appears on the tape from the '93 show - i've shared one, and as for the other 3 tracks,...well, the info is out there :)

members of PJ were aware of the project Ed and Sher were working on, i recall Ed telling me about meeting up w/ Stone while Brad was touring in '97 and giving him a copy of both "Code" and "Mudda" tapes which Stone really appreciated.

• Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    brain of j is AMAZING for a straight foward rocker. hartford was amazing! i went apeshit when i heard this song! i did that alot at that show. best show i've ever been to. can't wait for my boot so i can actually LISTEN to all the performances!
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    ahh brain of j! woot.
    the weird thing about brain of j for me this tour was, i'd never heard it before but also i never really put thought into hearing it... i dwell so much on wanting other songs live that i really didnt expect it when it came up! i had to kind of pause and go... woah.. wait a sec...
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    100 Pacer wrote:
    hehe just because you don't have the show listed in your traders database (assuming the URL in your signature is for your database) doesn't mean it didn't exist :D the show in question has been listed on the concert chronology database for as long as i can remember:

the audio from this private event had been in underground circulation since shortly after the show; however, it didn't enter mainstream circulation until early '96. keep in mind, this was nearly 12 years ago - i say this because, before the torrents and trader databases came online the alt.music.pearljam traders were swapping tapes. sadly, one of the constant running themes today on the messageboard (arguing) was prevalent back then as well,...there were heated debates on both sides about the "2:1" issue (basically, offering more to receive less as opposed to a 1:1 trade). a couple of very dedicated fans names Ed and Sher had a brilliant idea which they shared with the traders in order to stop all the in-fighting: they put together a couple of FREE trade offers which were open to anyone. they went about scouring every source they could possibly get their hands on and created a couple of OUTSTANDING compilation bootlegs, "Full of Code/Surrounded By Bullshit" and "The Mudda of All Booty". Info can be found here:

http://members.aol.com/fullofcode/index.htm (check the "Spread The Jam" section)

the "Mudda" tracklisting has been edited since originally being released, as new sources and tracks became available. i heard a rumor that PJ's people asked that Brain of JFK be removed from the bootleg and not be distributed. the tape i own, which include the Nov./'93 Brain of JFK track (one of the 4 songs played that evening), was the very 1st version of the "Mudda" bootleg to hit the streets; however, the tracklisting from version listed on the website doesn't match the tracklisting on my tape and doesn't have the Brain of JFK track. also worth mentioning is that, as far as i know, the free bootlegs project as well as the Full of Code website hasn't been updated since '97. the Brain of JFK track is one of 4 tracks that appears on the tape from the '93 show - i've shared one, and as for the other 3 tracks,...well, the info is out there :)

members of PJ were aware of the project Ed and Sher were working on, i recall Ed telling me about meeting up w/ Stone while Brad was touring in '97 and giving him a copy of both "Code" and "Mudda" tapes which Stone really appreciated.

Both of your links dont seem to lead anywhere about Brain of J being played in 93. I highly doubt the song was written that early. Its early enough already that it was unleashed live 3 years prior to yield.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    I thought it was pretty good at Camden 2 this year. I went nuts when Mike started the riff. Love that song.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    brain of J fucken rocked at hartford!
    i have seen it a few times, but it was amazing that night!
    just hearing it on the boot again now! i love it!
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Thanks for this thread!! Haha, Brain of J. is one of my favourite PJ songs. I remember when I first bought Yield, I started listening to it in the car and almost crashed because Brain of J. was such a mesmerizing song.

I would also like to refer everyone to my Official Brain of J appreciation thread from last year!
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:

I call bullshit!

I know that the show took place. However you don't have a tape of it and Brain Of J was not played there. The reason that show is not in my database, or any other for that matter. Is because there is no such source is out there. I'm sorry you got a tape that is labled wrong.

Brain Of J was not even writen at this time. It was writen sometime in the Spring/Summer of '94 shortly after the death of Jackie O. Listen to the original lyrics from the '95 Fall tour and that is very easy to see.

Thank you though for providing us with two useless links. However these links nore your pointless story on the trading circles before torrents do not prove your statement as fact. The fact is that Brain Of J was premired in Salt Lake City on 11/2/95.
  • Options
    blood55blood55 Posts: 13
    Brain of J is one of my favorites. one of the first pearl jam songs i was introduced to, which isnt what most would be started out on..... i have yet to see it in the two shows i have been to which is a shame, but i am still hopeful for the next show i get the chance to go to.
    Lollapalooza-2007
    Bonnaroo-2008
    United Center-2009