Options

Song Sung Blue and a class act

devo_jidevo_ji Posts: 1
edited May 2008 in The Porch
Just saw this outstanding documentary for the second time. It's about two entertainers from Milwaukee. The highlight of their performing career came at the State Fair when Eddie Vedder brought them out to perform during Pearl Jam's third encore. They were known as Thunder and Lightning. Lightning, the man, was an outstanding Neil Diamond impersonator. So they and Mr Vedder performed Forever In Blue Jeans before 30,000 people. The largest crowd Thunder and Lightning had ever performed for in their career.

Years later tragedy struck and Lightning died suddenly. Thunder and her family were getting ready to go to the funeral home when a delivery man knocks on their door with a very large package. They look at it and it seems to be a guitar. Who sent this package? One of the children, a young girl, isn't sure who it's from somebody named...... Inside was a Gibson Guitar and a card from Eddie Vedder. He had recalled talking to Lightning after their performance in Milwaukee. He remembered Lighting mentioning that he had always dreamed of playing an Everly Brothers style Gibson Guitar. Mr. Vedder had played this guitar on stage with Pete Townsend and he recalled thinking at the time that he was using Lightning's guitar and that one day he had hoped to give it to him. Hearing of Lightning's passing he had sent it. The letter he wrote was read by Thunder and was very touching. The last we see of Lighting at the funeral home the guitar is there beside the coffin.

The film maker also mentioned that Mr Vedder was instrumental in getting Neil Diamond to give permission to use his music in the documentary. Which he gladly did and props to Mr. Diamond.

You don't hear much talk these days about class in any business let alone the music business but I just have to say that Eddie Vedder has certainly impressed me today. We all have stars that we love for one reason or another but I don't think we fans often get to see how these stars act as people. Today I saw something about a rock star named Eddie Vedder.

A new fan
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,930
    Nice post. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the Pit.

Pax!
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Great and touching story indeed! Ed's the man.
    *Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0004

Rather than being birthed like a normal child, Chuck Norris instead
    decided to punch his way out of his mother's womb. Shortly thereafter
    he grew a beard.
  • Options
    Welcome to the life of a Pearl Jam fan. I had heard this story a while back. Beside their music...the best part of this band is their willingness to share and give. I would bet that things like this happen quite often but we only hear about a small percentage of them.
  • Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,096
    That's such a lovely story - thanks for posting and welcome to the Pit. Another example of why we love Ed so much, he is such a cool giving person :)
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22