Why have the guys been so quiet politically?

2»

Comments

• CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Maybe Ed just wants to wait and see who'll be the Democratic nominee. It's gonna be a long summer. They'll be there.

I have nothing to prove this to be true...but on Sunday night...a Dj from 107.7 The Bone here in the Bay Area said... "it's official.... Eddie Vedder is now on board with the rest of his bandmates in backing Barack Obama".

I couldn't find anything online...so who knows if he's informed on this subject or not?

I'm sure we'll hear plenty of Ed's rants and opinions on the April Fools tour.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • I have nothing to prove this to be true...but on Sunday night...a Dj from 107.7 The Bone here in the Bay Area said... "it's official.... Eddie Vedder is now on board with the rest of his bandmates in backing Barack Obama".

I CALL BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obama is a fucking warmonger too!! don't get it twisted,he is no different from any of the other shills (McCain,Bill-ary etc.)
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Why is it that Americans, as soon as they achieve some kind of fame, are no longer allowed to voice an opinion about politics, the environment, etc.?

I thought America was supposed to be the poster child for "democracy"?
    I'm not saying this to slag America or Americans, it's just something that I have always wondered. The backlash against the Dixie Chicks was the most frightening example of this kind of intolerance. I've even seen it on this board recently in regards to Ed. Basically it was "shut up and sing."

Aren't people who have achieved some success or fame responsible, if they chose to be, to raise awareness of social or political problems. I'm not saying that they're right, but at least they can spark interest and maybe in some small way make a difference in this large, scary and interesting world.

Cheers!

Your correct...generally when you have someone bashing celebrities about their views and wanting them to be quite its indicative of a person that doesn't want their fragile reality shaken by some truth.
    Fk I could care less what Ted Nugent says.........but that isn't the same as some that criticize Ed for pulling in a different direction.
    Please though remember not to cast us all in one stroke as you did in this post....alot of "Amercians" do get it...(-:
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • i think they are backing McCain
    Ed was right on Iraq. I went to Toronto and heard him say "the government is trumping up charges on Iraq in order to invade" (or pretty close to this...need to listen to the boot) and GUESS WHAT he was right. And yes this was before we invaded....course anyone with half sense realized this was the case.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG

Obama is a fucking warmonger too!! don't get it twisted,he is no different from any of the other shills (McCain,Bill-ary etc.)
    yea okay...sure.
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    callen wrote:
    ...generally when you have someone bashing celebrities about their views and wanting them to be quite its indicative of a person that doesn't want their fragile reality shaken by some truth.

I would disagree. I think the bashing more often comes from folks much more up to speed on the issues, both the nuance and the whole picture, that no single issue occurs in a vacuum and what not. But sure, some of the bashing is certainly as you state.

I think celebrities generally are just using their megaphone at the behest of others, fed soundbites and talking points with little understanding of either more nuanced implications or even larger contexts. I think they are just being used as tools -- case in point the parade of celebs in photo ops with Chavez.

But yes, some celebrities do take the time to roll up the sleeves and really find out what's up. I think that's the exception: Bono, Geldof, Willie.

And again, poster boy for celebs who should just STFU: Tom Cruise.
    [sic] happens
  • Maybe he feels the same way I do.
    I don't like any of them.
    I got no dog in the hunt.

Exactly. I would hope they -- or Ed -- would not endorse a candidate strictly because they wear the "Democrat" tag.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Danimal wrote:
    They better break their silence soon I need to know who to vote for...

I take this as sarcasm. Those who really think like that bother the shit out of me.

For me, there is no problem with Ed or any other celebrity speaking their minds about issues and elections....as long as it stops there. The reason it irks me is that when celebs speak out there are people who blindly follow what they say and pronounce as the only moral and just way to think. I remember being so disgusted during the last presidential election when Puff Doody was all over MTV encouraging young folks to get out and vote.

Ok, true enough, everyone should exercise their right, but talking to a bunch of teenagers about the importance of voting and then telling them so-and-so is the candidate they should vote for is why I have a problem with it. I'd bet that a large majority of those kids he was encouraging to get out and vote couldn't have picked out a single one of the candidates in a line-up and they knew very little of the issues.

I'm just saying, celeb endorsements can be a dangerous thing because some follow blindly
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    acutejam wrote:
    I would disagree. I think the bashing more often comes from folks much more up to speed on the issues, both the nuance and the whole picture, that no single issue occurs in a vacuum and what not. But sure, some of the bashing is certainly as you state.

I think celebrities generally are just using their megaphone at the behest of others, fed soundbites and talking points with little understanding of either more nuanced implications or even larger contexts. I think they are just being used as tools -- case in point the parade of celebs in photo ops with Chavez.

But yes, some celebrities do take the time to roll up the sleeves and really find out what's up. I think that's the exception: Bono, Geldof, Willie.

And again, poster boy for celebs who should just STFU: Tom Cruise.
    Disagreeing fine....no problem...Tom Cruise is a great example...but again when I hear folks on this board bashing Eddie on his views...which have been proven to be correct I'll stick to my assessment that they're struggling between they're fragile reality and the truth. Example "Wish Eddie would stick to singing than his politics when I see him". Thinking what I've heard Eddie say....has been proven to be correct...so I'd think it would be refreshing for one to hear someone talk about the crap our administration fed us. Hope I'm making sense...as I realize I'm rambling.
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    acutejam wrote:
    I'm pretty sure they checked their resumes, saw they had zero experience in public office and correctly figured out that America doesn't need celebrities or rock stars to tell us how to vote.

But I could be wrong....

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I couldn't disagree with this more. To take a line from a John Lennon song 'Everybody's talkin, no one hears a word." There are plenty people talking and we're only exposed or listening to a few.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    callen wrote:
    Your correct...generally when you have someone bashing celebrities about their views and wanting them to be quite its indicative of a person that doesn't want their fragile reality shaken by some truth.
    Fk I could care less what Ted Nugent says.........but that isn't the same as some that criticize Ed for pulling in a different direction.
    Please though remember not to cast us all in one stroke as you did in this post....alot of "Amercians" do get it...(-:

No offence, but I think you mis-interpreted my post. The "Americans" that were being referred too were those that had achieved some kind of fame or celebrity and were then berated for using that celebrity to speak out on various causes or issues. One would hope that people would take the time to think about and question what celebrities are espousing, whether gun control, psychiatry, pro-activ or politics, and come to their own informed opinion, but then again, maybe for some people that's too much work. Regardless, I think that you and I are both on the same page.

Cheers!
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079

So...he didn't speak out against the war? Those rally's never took place?

Obama may very well be a shill (your word...not mine)...but he is the least contaminated shill in the race.

BTW...President's are just human's...the question is...which one can I trust to be the most honest with me.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • callen wrote:
    Ed was right on Iraq. I went to Toronto and heard him say "the government is trumping up charges on Iraq in order to invade" (or pretty close to this...need to listen to the boot) and GUESS WHAT he was right. And yes this was before we invaded....course anyone with half sense realized this was the case.

So what you're saying is that Ed is just holding back on the endorsing cuz he's planning to throw his hat into the ring and run as an indepenent on judgement? :D

The whole world will be different soon, the whole world will be relieved...

Print that on posters and he's good to go ;)
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • nuzpaper wrote:
    Bush is on his way out. Nothing more to say

Man if people really think Bush being gone is the salvation to all our problems this country is REALLY REALLY FUCKED.

Ya'll better wake up and realize that any of the Three Devils: Obama, Hillary or McCain are ALL going to screw us really really hard, sell America down river, leave the borders open, keep us at war with someone, keep the corporations in control, strip us of as many liberties as possible, and keep the peolpe in debt.

This isn't about some stupid Left vs Right FALSE PARADIGM.
    This is about an entire political system that has left the hands of the people and is controled by and for the elite.

:(
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?