Options

Keith Moon vs. John Bonham

KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
edited December 2010 in Other Music
Possibly my two favorite rock n' roll drummers.

In your opinion, who wins, and why?
Bern - September 13, 2006
Berlin - August 15, 2009
Lisbon - July 10, 2010
Berlin - June 26, 2014
Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    John Bonham, he just seems to have alot more technical ability and dynamics in his playing. He coulda played in alotta bands in different styles. They're both at the top of the mountain when it comes to rock and roll drumming, but Bonzo is the superior drummer when it comes down to it.
  • Options
    JL19851JL19851 Posts: 209
    Fully disagree. While they are both great drummers, I always thought of Bonham as more of a pounder. While it is fun to watch a drummer pound their kit into submission (see Dave Grohl and Patrick Carney as similar examples), Keith Moon was all over the place and very much a Hendrix of his instrument. Pete was very much the creative focus of The Who, but Keith was in many ways the soul and embodiment of Pete's creativity. Plus, who else could pull off a drum solo that would leave even the more skilled drummer slack-jawed while simultaneously making goofy faces like that!?
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    JL19851 wrote:
    Fully disagree. While they are both great drummers, I always thought of Bonham as more of a pounder. While it is fun to watch a drummer pound their kit into submission (see Dave Grohl and Patrick Carney as similar examples), Keith Moon was all over the place and very much a Hendrix of his instrument. Pete was very much the creative focus of The Who, but Keith was in many ways the soul and embodiment of Pete's creativity. Plus, who else could pull off a drum solo that would leave even the more skilled drummer slack-jawed while simultaneously making goofy faces like that!?
    +1
  • Options
    Moon the loon!
    28/10/96--29/10/96--29/5/00--30/5/00--3/6/00--4/6/00--6/6/00--25/8/06--27/8/06--13/6/07--18/6/07--11/8/09--13/8/09--15/8/09--17/8/09--18/8/09
  • Options
    Kloddz wrote:

why is it always about our opinion?

please enlighten us :P
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Tough one.

I call it a draw. I agree with the earlier post that their styles are different and both were the best.
    #FHP
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    To me Keith Moon is the pounder, clearly. Does he really do anything that wows from a technical standpoint? Seems like pretty straight forward stuff.

I would call Bonzo the Hendrix of drumming, if anybody. Just has a broader range of techniques to my ears.

Bonzo is the most influential of the 2. Moon laid the foundation, but Bonzo built the house

I just don't think Moon can quite keep up, starting with the first song on the first album, Good Times Bad Times, and continuing to stuff like Four Sticks, Kashmir, Sick Again, Fool In The Rain, In My Time Of Dying, Achilles Last Stand, Poor Tom etcetcetc
  • Options
    Kloddz wrote:

why is it always about our opinion?

please enlighten us :P
    Haha, yeah I meant to chicken away from having to make that decision. :lol:

But if you make me choose, I'll probably say Bonham - I'm not a drumming expert in any way, but I just like his style even better than Moon's.
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

• Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Moon had Charisma, would really have to ask a drum expert to get an unbaised opinion.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,690
    Keith Moon invented his own language on the drums.
    The stuff he did was not technical in any sense of the word.
    He played the drums with a reckless abandon that was not seen before...or since.
    It's just impossible to duplicate what he did. That's because it was just so far left of centre....he was making it up as he went along and it absolutely defied any convention of how a drummer should play.

Keith never did what was expected...He wasn't what you'd call a pocket player. He challenged his band mates and pushed them to the limit; especially John Entwistle...who was obviously pretty proficient at his instrument as well...and not someone who I imagine to be very easy to challenge.

Keith Moon was the only drummer for The Who as well as the true embodiment and spirt of the band.

If you watch clips of Keith's playing -Isle of Wight or Live @ Leeds era- he was practically dancing behind his kit.

Sure he may not have been the tightest drummer, or hardest hitter, or even the best.

But he is hands down my favorite drummer ever.

Watching him play just made you love the drums.
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    technique - bonham
    unbelievable, incomparable uniqueness - moon
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,436
    I'll go with Bonzo. Just for Four Sticks alone. Also, Led Zep couldn't continue without him, but The Who still keep going without Moon.

Just for fun, I'd say Entwistle was probably a better bass player than JPJ, but JPJ is clearly more versatile.

Page & Plant blow away Townsend & Daltrey for guitar/voice.

Hmmm, can you tell who my favorite band is?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    take me to the moon and back!!!!!!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I prefer Moon, but would much rather play with Bonham.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I preferred Moon but would rather listen to Zeppelin.

If it's a drumming competition you want.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRdKuH5WF1c
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Keith Moon invented his own language on the drums.
    The stuff he did was not technical in any sense of the word.
    He played the drums with a reckless abandon that was not seen before...or since.
    It's just impossible to duplicate what he did. That's because it was just so far left of centre....he was making it up as he went along and it absolutely defied any convention of how a drummer should play.

Keith never did what was expected...He wasn't what you'd call a pocket player. He challenged his band mates and pushed them to the limit; especially John Entwistle...who was obviously pretty proficient at his instrument as well...and not someone who I imagine to be very easy to challenge.

Keith Moon was the only drummer for The Who as well as the true embodiment and spirt of the band.

If you watch clips of Keith's playing -Isle of Wight or Live @ Leeds era- he was practically dancing behind his kit.

Sure he may not have been the tightest drummer, or hardest hitter, or even the best.

But he is hands down my favorite drummer ever.

Watching him play just made you love the drums.

you forgot to add that moon played a left foot bass drum pedal while most drummers played a right foot bass drum pedal

I'll go with Bonzo. Just for Four Sticks alone. Also, Led Zep couldn't continue without him, but The Who still keep going without Moon.

Just for fun, I'd say Entwistle was probably a better bass player than JPJ, but JPJ is clearly more versatile.

lol

i disagree with all of this :mrgreen:

the who died when keith moon died

no drummer can ever play the who songs like he did
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options

Pearl Jam? :? 8-)
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Keith!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    :thumbup:
    take me to the moon and back!!!!!!!!!
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,436
    Kloddz wrote:

Pearl Jam? :? 8-)

Sorry, nobody could ever top Zep. PJ is, of course, a solid #2, which ain't bad.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    JzPJzP Posts: 931
    They are both so good...
    ~JzP