Options

Insignificance is just ... badass.

rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
edited July 2008 in The Porch
I've always liked the song, but it just gets better with age, live version-speaking ... Listening to the version from Gorge 1, '06. Menacing guitar work.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Human TideHuman Tide Posts: 319
    Absolutely!
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,564
    I've always liked the song, but it just gets better with age, live version-speaking ... Listening to the version from Gorge 1, '06. Menacing guitar work.

Totally agree...the studio version is nothing on the live tracks! The BEST Insignificance live IMO is the Denver 7/3/2006 version...listen at around 2m:50secs...Its the best Mike and Stone jam...its like their guitars are communicatin' - blows me away!
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    Totally agree...the studio version is nothing on the live tracks! The BEST Insignificance live IMO is the Denver 7/3/2006 version...listen at around 2m:50secs...Its the best Mike and Stone jam...its like their guitars are communicatin' - blows me away!

I'll have to check that out. Haven't heard Denver '06 in ages.
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    I'll have to check that out. Haven't heard Denver '06 in ages.

those are two pretty sweet boots.. be sure to give SOLAT a spin while you're there
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    Insignificance is just ... badass.

Binaural is fucking awesome!!! sooner you all realize that the better!! :D
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Binaural is fucking awesome!!! sooner you all realize that the better!! :D

Not only is it my favorite PJ album, but it's just insane live.
    Insignificance is a perfect example!
    Of the Girl, Thin Air, Grievance, and maybe one of their best songs ever...Parting Ways.

Amazing album!!
  • Options
    People griped about Binaural a lot at first, and now it is being recognized as the masterpiece that it is.
  • Options
    DP13DP13 Posts: 269
    Insignificance is VERY close to being Pearl Jam's best song period.

It has a great meaning, obvious but not literal or corny.

Great buildup.

Great emotion.

While it is much better live than on the record, it is a little sloppy live.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Not only is it my favorite PJ album, but it's just insane live.
    Insignificance is a perfect example!
    Of the Girl, Thin Air, Grievance, and maybe one of their best songs ever...Parting Ways.

Amazing album!!

nice! i love it when i read things like this,makes me know I'm not alone! :)
  • Options
    Heard PJ play this live for the first time in 05'. Instantly turned into one of my favorite favorites :D. Chill song, into ridiculous energy, compared to the studio. Every time I've heard it live since... (a couple times), it's gotten better & better!

-inquis.
    "Now when people ask me, where's my favorite place to play, I'll reply, Newark NJ!" -EV (solo '08)
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    People griped about Binaural a lot at first, and now it is being recognized as the masterpiece that it is.

I think it maybe suffers from the Tchad Blake production. I don't mind it, but some people hate it (there used to be a poster here named Tchad Blake Sucks, I think).

At any rate, the songs on Binaural are definitely ratcheted up a level live, probably even more so than on other albums.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    I think it maybe suffers from the Tchad Blake production. I don't mind it, but some people hate it (there used to be a poster here named Tchad Blake Sucks, I think).

At any rate, the songs on Binaural are definitely ratcheted up a level live, probably even more so than on other albums.

Agreed ... I think Tchad Blake's production on certain tracks was perfect (Light Years, Sleight, Of The Girl, basically the mellow ones). On the rockers, it left a little to be tdesired, perhaps.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Agreed ... I think Tchad Blake's production on certain tracks was perfect (Light Years, Sleight, Of The Girl, basically the mellow ones). On the rockers, it left a little to be tdesired, perhaps.

Binaural is also an album best experienced on headphones. I remember all the goofy audiophile dorks on this board saying that back in the day. When I actually took their advice and tried it, it blew my freakin' mind.

You hear so many little things, it's like listening to a completely different album.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Binaural is also an album best experienced on headphones. I remember all the goofy audiophile dorks on this board saying that back in the day. When I actually took their advice and tried it, it blew my freakin' mind.

You hear so many little things, it's like listening to a completely different album.

I honestly have come to view this album as basically the apex of the band's songwriting (to date). The songs are a perfect balance between complexity (aided by the production, of course) and impact ... Its not everyone's thing, but I like the subtle side of PJ. I feel the same way about No Code ... Which used to be what Binaural is now.
  • Options
    395486pj10395486pj10 Posts: 95
    I completely agree. Insignificance is just an amazing song. And Binaural is just an amazing album.
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270

oh yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    danny d