Options

why cant others around me hear the magic of pj?

hardinm78hardinm78 Posts: 6
edited March 2008 in The Porch
they listen but dont hear
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    not only around you
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    i dont get. its like they must not have a soul.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,082
    it's very frustrating.

that is why we are all here!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,568
    I have been quite successfull in getting my closest friends into pearl jam. They all hated them at first, but after a few spins of indifference, black, State of love and trust, Alive, Release, Elderly woman and Off he Goes at the right moments, they are all turned into semi fans.

The trick is to stay away from everything after no code and focus on ten, vs and vitalogy.

Good luck!
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,340
    hardinm78 wrote:

maybe you don't play the music loud enough :eek: turn it up to eleven ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Why do you want others to feel the magic? its our magic and if its only a select few who gets it, isn't that better! when you meet a fellow pearl jam fan they are nearly always a fanatic! i don't think we do casual fans! its all or none!
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    i wish more people got it... to me, the music is VERY theraputic... gets me through my ups and downs...
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,721
    hardinm78 wrote:

eyes wide open, seeing nothing
  • Options
    because Pearl Jam taste like a pop sickle thats been up somebody's butt.
    :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,340

:D..........
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    hardinm78 wrote:

people find joy and passion in things others don't. my girlfriend hates pearl jam, but she understands what they mean to me. i in turn hate some of her favorite bands.

so it goes.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    turn the volume up....WAY UP.....:D
  • Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570
    Very frustrating. I think we all know the feeling.

Especially when your listening to a song in the car and you are getting really into it, meanwhile your friends are having a conversation about going to see Kanye West...

Maybe I need new friends? :D
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Options
    simplemansimpleman Posts: 425
    Brez wrote:

Especially when your listening to a song in the car and you are getting really into it, meanwhile your friends are having a conversation about going to see Kanye West...

or maybe that's your friends' way of telling you that their sick of hearing PJ in your car... I had the same problem, but I went and got counseling. Now I listen only when I'm alone in the car or someone asks for it....
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Options
    I like this thread. ;) I felt like I was alone in my pearl jam-ness until I found this place. Some people just do not understand the power of the P and the J~
    so boys......where do you want me?
  • Options
    MerkingBoyMerkingBoy Posts: 249
    I thought that was Good Charlotte ? :p
  • Options
    MerkingBoyMerkingBoy Posts: 249
    I like this thread. ;) I felt like I was alone in my pearl jam-ness until I found this place. Some people just do not understand the power of the P and the J~
    i like your signature ;)
  • Options
    MerkingBoy wrote:
    i like your signature ;)

Thank you. It has become my most used line. ;)
    so boys......where do you want me?
  • Options
    I suspect for the same reason I cannot find the magic Eddie' finds in cat power - I don't get it
  • Options
    hardinm78 wrote:

"You don't HEAR Jimmy, you only listen to Jimmy."
    "you don't have to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring, besides that, they're fascist. Make em' hit groundballs, they're more democratic."

-Crash Davis
  • Options
    I tell myself different people just connect with different things. A good friend of mine thinks Kid Rock truly is Rock N Roll Jesus.....so, some people just connect with stupid things.

Seriously, this is a question I have asked myself time and time again. It really is hard for me to understand why more people don't get PJ...can't get what its all about. I guess you just have to chalk it up to what I said before...no matter what some people will never see (or hear) the light no matter how loud you turn it up
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    Uncle NeilUncle Neil Posts: 176
    Yeah it doesn't bother me at all. I only try to "convert" my friends if they express an interest in them. I'm more than happy to burn them some boots or some of the albums to give them a base of music to get started with. I've also found that they love the dvd's. But, if the people don't really care, then that's their problem. There are a lot of bands that I don't like, so I understand when people don't like PJ. Hell, they're the ones missing out, not me!
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    That's the magic of music. Not being able to understand how someone else isn't infatuated with "your" band(s) is part of the fun. Like, how is that possible, right? They're saying the same thing about you.

I'll tolerate any musical viewpoint as long as there is some passion behind it. Love country? Rap? Pop? Good for you. If it moves you than go for it. People who have no passion for music at all baffle me. The innevitable "I just listen to the radio" answer when asked about musical tastes always raises an eyebrow...I just don't get it.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    it's really simple,most people have shitty taste!

except you guys,and i love you guys!
  • Options
    pjten77pjten77 Posts: 225
    Brez wrote:

Who is this Kanye West you speak of?????.....Long Live PJ!!!.........and yes you need new "music friends"
    Toronto-96/Barrie-98/Pittsburgh-00/Toronto-00/Buffalo-03/Toronto-03/Kitchener-05/Toronto-05/Hamilton-05/Toronto I-06/Toronto 2-06/E.V. Toronto- 08/ Toronto- 09/Buffalo-10/Hamilton- 11/ London- 13/ Buffalo- 13/Detroit- 14/Ottawa-16/Toronto II-16/Fenway I & II- 16
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,568
    Why do you want others to feel the magic? its our magic and if its only a select few who gets it, isn't that better! when you meet a fellow pearl jam fan they are nearly always a fanatic! i don't think we do casual fans! its all or none!

Because then you can play pearl jam without them bitching, moaning and complaining:-)

Btw, Pearl Jam has many casual fans dude. Alot!
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    casue they are fucking idiot's. they would rather have crap music shoved down their collective throats by Simon every fucking night of the week on the shit T.V. show.

IMO.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    I actually have only a couple of friends who don't like PJ at all, but those are ones who have never even really given them a try...they just know they don't like it, presumably just because I do. My closest friends all love PJ, but I have many acquaintances who aren't as die-hard although they still appreciate the music.
    About a year ago a guy I had never in my life came to a party at my house with another friend and after Pj came up (probably because we had one of the dvds playing) the two of us were up until 5 a.m. listening to bootlegs and stuff.....his girlfriend however was very unimpressed by the time they left. That is the only time I have made friends with someone largely because of PJ
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    wouldnt be magic if everyone heard it, now would it?
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    A friend of mine likes Lynard Skynard and keeps trying to turn me on to them. I'm not a fan of theres at all and I just don't like them. And that's cool. He doesn't try to force them down my throat (or er, ears).

Music is subjective. People who don't like Pearl Jam aren't musically ineferior or 'can't see the light' - it's just normal.