Options

The Official "I hate daughter" thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    stickfig13 wrote:
    I was replying to Man_of the_hour's comment. Jokingly...

So it's all my fault now or what? ;)
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Options
    I think music....let's make that "good" music....is an aural representation of the emotions contained in each song. This approach makes it easier for me to distance myself from shitty music. The tag "emo" is ludicrous because it is, the way I see it, associated with shitty, disposable music now and should be associated with music that makes you think and hopefully conjures up the emotions that are conveyed by the artist.
    stickfig13 wrote:
    Daughter annoys me for the following reasons:

1. It kills shows
    2. It's a boring song
    3. It's not played with tags nearly as much
    4. It kills shows when not played with tags

So....for OP to say that Daughter is annoying because of these reasons is kinda silly to me. I agree with The Dude that no song is really a show killer. So it is still a boring song and kills shows when not played with tags?

I like hearing tags on songs, too but I think you are missing the point here, Stickfig.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    simplemansimpleman Posts: 425
    at this point in time, I would agree Daughter could be considered boring or past its time. There have been many radio times, where I've changed the channel immediately. But live is a different thing all together. Never a show killer and always executed well. just an opinion.....
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i love just about any live version of daughter. the tags are great, especially "its ok." i dont get how you could call it a show killer though. its a slower song but that doesn't make it bad. if you listen to pearl jam just for the loud, fast, rockin tunes, then i can see why you feel this way. however, if thats the only reason you listen to pearl jam, i feel bad for you because they are so much more than that.
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Give me a break...Daughter is a classic PJ tune whether you like it or not.

I'm sure I'm just as hardcore a fan as you...but I don't feel the need to bash the mainstream hits to prove it.

Somewhere in Seattle Stone's ears are burning.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    daughter is one of those songs that I will skip when it first comes on. but if for some reason i get a couple of seconds into it I have to listen to it.

i love every pj song, except for wma
    My whole life looked like a picture of a sunny day.

Summerfest 95, 06 Alpine 92, 98, 00, 03 Chicago 95, 98, 00, 03, 06, 07 Grand Rapids 04, St. John's 05 Milwaukee 08
  • Options
    gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I liked Daughter a ton when I was getting into Pearl Jam. It's a great song. The studio version has worn out on me over the years, but live, it certainly does not kill shows. It, Black and Betterman are some of the best Ed/Crowd interactions during any show.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    I'm sorry, man. I feel like I'm picking on you...but, in case you haven't noticed, the set list are always different and there is a ton of thought that goes into each shows set. This is one of the things that makes the greatest band in the world so unique. Now, there are tons of songs that are slow or fast or whatever, but I never think of them as show killers and especially not Daughter. There is an eb and flow to the show, it just can't be WWS or Animal or whatever you think kicks ass all the time. If that was the case we wouldn't get two and half hour long shows. Anyway, my point is Daughter is one of their biggest hits from back in the day and they don't play it all the time live. But when they do I really don't think it's a show killer. It's quite enjoyable, in my opinion. I really don't even see how anyone could consider any song a show killer, except for the "hear's to the state of Mississippi" ed did with tim robbins in L.A.. That I think killed at least the momentum of an otherwise killer fucking time. Gotta get back to work!

I believe in the Italy DVD, Ed says he doesn't spend much time on the set....

It could be the other way around.

You're dead on about Tim Robbins! That killed those shows! I remember thinking beofre the song started, "This is gonna kill this show!"
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    first of all daughter is a song that deals with an important subject that 99% of rock groups won't touch,so big ups to Ed for that

second who gives a fuck that you find it boring.I'm sure everyone has a song or two they don't care for.

third I'm right there with you on last kiss,but I'm not going to say they shouldn't play it because other people like it.

maybe you were abused too and the song opens up old wounds?

the shades go down,the shades go,the shades go.....go
  • Options
    walkthamilewalkthamile Posts: 349
    stickfig13 wrote:
    How am I supposed to turn my friends on to PJ when they continue to play a song like that!

Don't even get me started on Last Kiss!

Here in Australia, you would be referred to as a "Dingbat"...
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,706
    Daughter rocks

Last kiss Rocks

some dude doesnt agree....simple really

oh and Its Okay has been played bloody loads of times, and is fucking brilliant also....pick up the Leeds 06 boot for a glorious rendition
  • Options
    stickfig13 wrote:
    How am I supposed to turn my friends on to PJ when they continue to play a song like that!

Don't even get me started on Last Kiss!

:confused: whats wrong with either song?
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    loveatreeloveatree in my tree Posts: 142
    we all have our favorite and least favorite pj songs. daughter is an empowering song, "she holds the hand that holds her down, she will rise above..." how can you not feel chills and the love?? since reading this thread i've listen to the studio version of daughter everyday, and fell back in love with it. i still very much enjoy hearing it live or whenever it comes on the radio. any pj song i can hear on the radio i'll take! LA 2006 show- it wasn't the duet of tim robbins and ed that was the show killer, being at the forum sucked. though i can't complain too much because i was lucky enough to go to a pj show, the form was way too big and you couldn't hear or see anything. the song he sang with tim, "here's to the state of mississippi" is a cool song especially because tim wrote it.
    2006 LA/ SF/ Mountain View. 2009 LA/ SF. 2013 LA/ Oakland/ Seattle. 2014 Denver

• Options
    I agree to some degree....I lost any real need for Daughter some time ago, but I love to hear those tags! So keep on playing it....I guess. Really, it is a PJ classic, but it just isn't one that has continued to be one of my favorites through the years. Last Kiss, however, is rotten...maybe the only song I don't like in the studio or live....But some people are into that, who am I to say?
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    Daughter is classic and deserves regular rotation in the sets. Casual fans want it and the band adds to tags for us "freaks"...what sounds more tired to me is Even Flow and that extended RVM jam
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I'm sorry, man. I feel like I'm picking on you...but, in case you haven't noticed, the set list are always different and there is a ton of thought that goes into each shows set. This is one of the things that makes the greatest band in the world so unique. Now, there are tons of songs that are slow or fast or whatever, but I never think of them as show killers and especially not Daughter. There is an eb and flow to the show, it just can't be WWS or Animal or whatever you think kicks ass all the time. If that was the case we wouldn't get two and half hour long shows. Anyway, my point is Daughter is one of their biggest hits from back in the day and they don't play it all the time live. But when they do I really don't think it's a show killer. It's quite enjoyable, in my opinion. I really don't even see how anyone could consider any song a show killer, except for the "hear's to the state of Mississippi" ed did with tim robbins in L.A.. That I think killed at least the momentum of an otherwise killer fucking time. Gotta get back to work!

I think you have me confused with the thread starter

my first post

no daughter, no chance for WMA nuff said
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Niko80 wrote:
    Daughter was amazing on the 2000 tour. They took it to all kinds of directions with creative interplay and tags. Nowadays, I kinda agree its a showstopper, but thats only for me. Its a song many causal fans want to hear.

Daughter has also turned many people into Pearl Jam. I can tell you that much. When vs came out, daughter was a song reviewers highlighted and the one people were most excitied about.

It has done its job in the recruiting department thats for sure!

The tags were way more diverse in 2000, and earlier. Now it is like a two man rotation between ABITW and WMA.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    mjb wrote:
    Daughter is classic and deserves regular rotation in the sets. Casual fans want it and the band adds to tags for us "freaks"...what sounds more tired to me is Even Flow and that extended RVM jam

I love evenflow but agree with the RVM jam. I feel like that jam brings down a very aggressive song.
  • Options
    arhoopsarhoops Posts: 110
    Do you ever get the idea that maybe Pearl Jam is playing it for Pearl Jam...

Look at their sets... a new show EVERYNIGHT! I don't think any band can say that... most bands play the same 20 songs day in and day out... yet, Pearl Jam does something special for their fans... usually around 30, which are selected moments before they hit the stage, which is why it is worth seeing them as much as possible.

But I have to believe that they don't enjoy playing all those songs for us, so that's why they have staples like Daughter and Evenflow, etc... I think these are the songs for them, so they can let loose and enjoy themselves.

And they are never show stoppers... usually tend to be the best played of the night with few mistakes... so I say let them play Daughter everynight if they want... cos it's what helps them enjoy the show a little more, and allows them to throw a tonne of other tunes that aren't played everynight for the hardcores... and even not so hardcores!
    i only own my mind- i am mine.

Detroit 2- 2003, Toledo- 2004, Grand Rapids- 2004, Kitchener- 2005, London- 2005, Hamilton- 2005, Toronto 1- 2006, Toronto 2- 2006, Grand Rapids- 2006. Cleveland- 2006, Detroit- 2006, Lollapalooza- 2007, Mansfield 1- 2008