Options

Whiskeytown

dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
edited November 2010 in Other Music
I saw that there are some Ryan Adams threads, but I think this band deserves one on it's own.

I just acquired a copy of Strangers Almanac, and wow. It's a fantastic record! I also got Pneumonia but am waiting for this one to truly sink it.

I've always enjoyed Ryan's stuff w/ and w/out the Cardinals, and this is no different.
7/2/06 - Denver, CO
6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889
    Gold and Heartbreaker are great albums as well... Whiskeytown was what got me into his stuff. I have most of his stuff but Gold and Heartbreaker were so damn good that I made them worthy of purchasing on vinyl. I think he or The Cardinals got some new stuff coming out.
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Phil Wandscher is an excellent axeman, and his band, Jesse Sykes & the Sweet Hereafter, is so much better than anything Ryan Adams has done post-Whiskeytown.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Attaway77 wrote:
    Gold and Heartbreaker are great albums as well... Whiskeytown was what got me into his stuff. I have most of his stuff but Gold and Heartbreaker were so damn good that I made them worthy of purchasing on vinyl. I think he or The Cardinals got some new stuff coming out.

I believe they do too. Possibly soon, I think.

I love his solo stuff. Gold and Heartbreaker are excellent records, my personal favorite is Love is Hell though, damn that shits is smooth.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I like me some whiskeytown :)

good call on their own thread
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    As a massive Ryan Adams fan I'm quite fond of Whiskeytown as well. Good call on them having their own thread.

And yes. The Cardinals do have a new collection out next month. It's called III/IV and it's a rocking double disc from the same sessions that Easy Tiger came from.
  • Options
    As a massive Ryan Adams fan I'm quite fond of Whiskeytown as well. Good call on them having their own thread.

And yes. The Cardinals do have a new collection out next month. It's called III/IV and it's a rocking double disc from the same sessions that Easy Tiger came from.
    So stoked for this. And Strangers Almanac is amazing! Houses On The Hill is a hell of a song.

Edit: After posting here, I searched for a live version... I found Kathleen Edwards, one of my favourite songwriters, doing a version of it. Awesome.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmgoStp6A_k
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I just acquired a copy of Strangers Almanac, and wow. It's a fantastic record! ...

please tell me its the deluxe edition you got. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I just acquired a copy of Strangers Almanac, and wow. It's a fantastic record! ...

Nope. :(
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    dcfaithful wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Nope. :(

oh no you missed out on some mighty goodness. 5 extra songs on disc 1 from a studio radio performance september 1997. and on disc 2 21 songs including several from the barns on fire sessions.. including a lovely cover of fleetwood macs dreams. and two of my all time fave ryan adams songs.. barns on fire and indian gown.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    SeaTut73SeaTut73 Posts: 458
    oh no you missed out on some mighty goodness. 5 extra songs on disc 1 from a studio radio performance september 1997. and on disc 2 21 songs including several from the barns on fire sessions.. including a lovely cover of fleetwood macs dreams. and two of my all time fave ryan adams songs.. barns on fire and indian gown.[/quote]

A MUST have for any WT or RA fan!!!
    --a--

i'm like an opening band for the sun...
    www.archive73.blogspot.com
  • Options
    MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    Let's have some love for Faithless Street and Pneumonia too. Jacksonville Skyline is one of the best songs Ryan has written.
  • Options
    KevDylan wrote:
    Let's have some love for Faithless Street and Pneumonia too. Jacksonville Skyline is one of the best songs Ryan has written.

I totally agree! That song has been a stand-out for me so far.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    dammit. my pc is dead (im on my phone) and i miss strangers almanac so much and i have it saved on my external drive but cant load it on my ipod atm :(
  • Options
    I love whiskeytown they have so many outstanding tracks but my personal favourite is Avenues, "you know avenues run one way streets they run the same it's going to take a lot of shit for me to stay away"