Options

Vedder Tour - Acoustic?

acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
edited March 2008 in The Porch
Help me out, I'm reading threads seeing all these mentions of "acoustic" and "solo" -- but when I popped ITW into the player the other night, fer sure he can't do the songs solo (well, he could i guess, but not as recorded). And there's quite a bit of electic guitar on thar as well!

So I know I'm guilty of assuming it'll be a lot like the Vic opener, and the single song he sang to open each 2006 show.... The ukelele show in LA.

But really -- what's the official announcement? Just "tour" right?
It could very well be a full backing band, plugged-in and rockin!

Yeah, check that House of Blues "Driven to Tears" clip on YouTube again!
[sic] happens
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Gather No MossGather No Moss Omaha Posts: 339
    The official announcement is "solo" followed by tour. I really don't think he is going to need or want a back-up band. I imagine the first set will be acoustic and the second set will be electric. I can't imagine EV ever playing a show where he doesn't work up a sweat, drink red wine and have a cigarette or two. He will surely have some special guests and there should be some some kind of "April Fools", which is the official name of the tour..
    Buy the ticket, Take the ride..

10/20/91 (Omaha), 7/25/92 (Lolla/Denver), 3/7/94 (Denver), 6/20/95 (Red Rocks), 11/14/97 (Oakland), 6/23/98 (Denver), 10/25/00 (SD), 6/05/03 (SD), 10/8/04 (FL), 7/2/06 (Denver), 7/17/08 (VH1-Who Tribute LA), 10/6/09 (LA), 10/7/09 (LA), 9/3/11 & 9/4/11(PJ20), 12/06/13 (Seattle), 10/09/14 (Lincoln)..
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    The official announcement is "solo" followed by tour. I really don't think he is going to need or want a back-up band. I imagine the first set will be acoustic and the second set will be electric. I can't imagine EV ever playing a show where he doesn't work up a sweat, drink red wine and have a cigarette or two. He will surely have some special guests and there should be some some kind of "April Fools", which is the official name of the tour..

I'm pretty sure there will be some kind of backing band of some sort. I would be pleased as punch if there weren't, but I don't know how you play the ITW songs without one. I would think we'll see a lot of solo stuff, as in all by himself, but wouldn't be surprised to see a rag-tag bunch of musicians here or there, Ed w/ C Average style.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure there will be some kind of backing band of some sort. I would be pleased as punch if there weren't, but I don't know how you play the ITW songs without one. I would think we'll see a lot of solo stuff, as in all by himself, but wouldn't be surprised to see a rag-tag bunch of musicians here or there, Ed w/ C Average style.

Hence, special guests..

10/20/91 (Omaha), 7/25/92 (Lolla/Denver), 3/7/94 (Denver), 6/20/95 (Red Rocks), 11/14/97 (Oakland), 6/23/98 (Denver), 10/25/00 (SD), 6/05/03 (SD), 10/8/04 (FL), 7/2/06 (Denver), 7/17/08 (VH1-Who Tribute LA), 10/6/09 (LA), 10/7/09 (LA), 9/3/11 & 9/4/11(PJ20), 12/06/13 (Seattle), 10/09/14 (Lincoln)..
  • Options
    evenflowmanevenflowman Posts: 1,345
    The boss will be in canada a few nights before ed then they both head to cali i think so maybe some springsteen songs would be sweet
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    It's going to be a whole set of ITW/protest/accoustic/riot act songs. Anyone who doesn't think so has another thing coming.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    It's going to be a whole set of ITW/protest/accoustic/riot act songs. Anyone who doesn't think so has another thing coming.

Have you ever seen EV on a "solo/April fools tour"..?? Just curious?

• Options
    Have you ever seen EV on a "solo/April fools tour"..?? Just curious?

Name one Ed solo set (ever) that suggests otherwise.

And, he has a solo record out now that he didn't have then.
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:

Obviously he is going to play songs off of ITW, but playing all of them, I doubt it.. Maybe you underestimate the man you admire so much.. He is going to pull out covers he's never done before and give us something different than we have heard from him solo in the past. Do you think the songs he's done in the past "solo" are the only ones he knows..lol He is going to have fun with this and no one can predict it, now even you.. I see you post a lot.. Are you going to any of these shows?? When was your first PJ show? How many have you seen?

• Options
    Local CrewLocal Crew Posts: 745
    fanch75 wrote:

he did open for pearl jam at the vic. this will be a great tour!
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • Options
    I think that might be spot on -- one set of acoustic, one set of electric, little break in between. I think that electric set might have some accompanyment.

I refer back to the rumors of him practicing with Flea and Irons mayhaps for Bridge School Benefit last year. I could see a little 3-piece down for a set.

Yes, I think the protest songs will be in play. ITW for sure. Part of me really does think he'll explore that aspect of his profile -- the acoustic solo man, rehash of the Vic opener. Man he sounds like he had fun doin that!

I'm just not sure he has the chops to entertain in that vein for a full show (which doesn't nesc mean he wouldn't). Voice, yes. Showmanship/story teller, yes. Dazzling guitar work? Um, yeah....

He's no Leo Kottke, Micheal Hedges, Luka Bloom or David Wilcox yada yada yada.... (Huh, that was kinda tough thinkin of pure one-man shows I've seen... Toss up which was better - Kottke or Hedges. heheheh just kidding, Hedges for the win! But man, Kottke is a good good show!)
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    acutejam wrote:
    I think that might be spot on -- one set of acoustic, one set of electric, little break in between. I think that electric set might have some accompanyment.

I refer back to the rumors of him practicing with Flea and Irons mayhaps for Bridge School Benefit last year. I could see a little 3-piece down for a set.

)

those weren't rumors:) they were slotted in in play there. and they did play together last may. i'm hoping for an accoustic set, then an electric w/ flea and jack...kinda like neil young's current tour setup.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    you guys have fun speculating

because its all nonsense until they make an annoucement (if at all)

count on
    EV playing kick ass music and blowing your socks off

the rest is just details
  • Options
    Obviously he is going to play songs off of ITW, but playing all of them, I doubt it.. Maybe you underestimate the man you admire so much.. He is going to pull out covers he's never done before and give us something different than we have heard from him solo in the past. Do you think the songs he's done in the past "solo" are the only ones he knows..lol He is going to have fun with this and no one can predict it, now even you.. I see you post a lot.. Are you going to any of these shows?? When was your first PJ show? How many have you seen?

Calling you out Fanch..

j/k
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options

You are probably right in that he'll play some tunes he's never done before, but I still say that generally it will be a set of ITW/protest/accoustic/riot act songs.

If I end up being wrong, then wow-wee, I'm wrong, whoops sorry. It's just my speculation.

I'm not going to any shows; it's not worth it to me to fly across the country to see him play solo. I've seen plenty of shows, though I am not sure what that has to do with my speculation regarding what songs he will play on a solo tour.
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    By the pic on the Ticket Bastard website, looks like Ed will be full on rockin out! :p
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:

Just sayin'. That sounds like more than friendly speculation. It's fun to speculate, but when you act like you are the PJ God of knowledge you are going to get some shit! It's cool though.. Just don't pretend you know everything.

• Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I'm guessing this will be a one man show. I'd love it to be Ed,maybe a cello or violin player, and an organ...I'd blow my load over that. I think it would put a new spin on some old songs.

I think it will be Ed w/ the acoustic, electic, mandolin, and uke...and that's it
  • Options
    And now I'm looking at the ticket price -- would Ed really charge us this for just him and Finn???? I don't know the economics of small venue shows, but my James Taylor tix are hella cheap! Has ed turned into a greedy bastard?

I'm thinking (hoping) more and more, the "April Fools" part is.... others.
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=5331141&postcount=137

Walking the Cow
    Around the Bend
    I Am Mine
    Dead Man
    MOTH
    Guaranteed
    No Ceiling
    Far Behind
    Rise
    Millworker
    Goodbye
    Brokenhearted
    You're True
    Driftin
    Hide Your Love Away
    Picture In A Frame
    Trouble
    I Won't Back Down
    Forever Young

Encore 1
    Society
    Growing Up
    No More
    Porch

Encore 2
    Hard Sun
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757

Yeah, it looks like I was wrong about this. I'm actually glad I was. This is gonna be so awesome.

Anyone have an extra for 4/13?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    The show was both accoustic and electric. Ed used several electric guitars , plus at least two, maybe three, ukes, accoustic guitras, and a mandolin. His back up consisted of Liam Finn ,Elisa Jane "EJ " Barnes, Liam Finn's vocalist/instrumentalist ( her name is that way in the Playbill booklet) , and a tape reel on "Hard Sun".

As far as the ticket price goes, it is well worth it to enjoy an evening or several like you've not enjoyed before. I can't wait for tonight. More than happy to have travelled out. Also, it's one poster with all shows on it. Less expense for multiple show folks.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    aus_suzaus_suz Posts: 9,364
    fanch75 wrote:

Sounds good to me...............bring it on down to down under!
    Even better bring it on down To Tasmania....
    U know u want to....:p