Options

The Black Circle Stopped Spinning

2»

Comments

• Options
    I'd pay this to see Ed however I think if they stood up to Ticketmaster now and went else where more band/act would follow. Its a hell of a lot easier than it was in 95 to communicate and sell tickets. I just hope his shows aren't filled with his political B.S and Memphis Three banter. Its getting old. We get it Ed the world blows, you dont need to remind us when we pay good money to have a GOOD time. I also hope we dont that Dick Sean Penn at any of the shows. He makes Ed look bad. Take care.
    Many many wonderful shows, since day one.
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options
    TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    Sean Penn will be at Ed's shows, you can count on that!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    MrSmith wrote:
    i hope he just cancels the tour just to spite everyone/

that would be great!!! ive been supporting the people bitching about this fiasco all week. but to say like the guy above did that eddie stands to make a million for a what?........7 date mini tour? that is just not accurate.

put it this way. guns n roses did what? 50 shows last year, and the cheapest seat at any venue was more then 65 bucks, a good portion were near 100 to 125 bucks and for 50 dates they made just over 2 million in proffit. do the math, ed is not making that kinda bank on this little tour of small venue's.

Cancel this fucker Ed !!!!
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    Vedder316 wrote:
    I'd pay this to see Ed however I think if they stood up to Ticketmaster now and went else where more band/act would follow. Its a hell of a lot easier than it was in 95 to communicate and sell tickets. I just hope his shows aren't filled with his political B.S and Memphis Three banter. Its getting old. We get it Ed the world blows, you dont need to remind us when we pay good money to have a GOOD time. I also hope we dont that Dick Sean Penn at any of the shows. He makes Ed look bad. Take care.

fuck that!! they did their part back in 95. other bands had a chance to go with them and do the right thing. why should it be up to PJ or Ed to try and take on ticket master again? they lost tons of money back in the day trying to do it. not one band or artist really backed them, so now they just go with the flow, and still try to keep prices down. hats off to them, i for one, want the boys to finally make some bank.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    eddies been a naughty boy
  • Options
    please spare me all this bullshit. i think $70 is a pretty reasonable price to be paying for ticket that is in demand. pearl jam and ed could be charging hundreds of dollars to see them live (like the stones and the police). but they don't. complain all you want but ed doesn't have to explain himself to anyone when it comes down to it. given his history of giving and donating to charities i figure you and anyone else would give him the benefit of the doubt.

people are so quick to turn on anybody that somehow doesn't live up to the unreasonable standards they push upon them. he's just a guy who writes music.
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    No, it's not. Comparatively speaking, it's not a lot of money.

I mean, my buddies and I spend way more than that when we occasionally go out to the Bar/Grill to eat dinner, have a few drinks and sing some Karoakee.

Look at it this way........

Would you rather pay $65.00 and see Eddie Vedder doing and rare and special solo concert; singing some of your favorite songs?

Or would you rather spend much more than $65.00 and sit there with a drink in your hand, a puzzled and confused look on your face; while I massacre some 1970s Elton John, Steppenwolf and The Sweet songs:D:D:D

this is true. i spent close to 50 bucks the other day to take my gf to the movie, a bad movie at that. two tickets, two drinks, and a tub of popcorn.

65 bucks is not that bad all things considered
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    TheGossman wrote:
    radiohead who never tours down here, and probobly didn't profit much off their latest album

hahahaha are you kidding me? you're off by 10 million...
  • Options
    pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    NMyTree wrote:
    I think some of you are being a bit harsh and over-the-top on Vedder, here.

$65.00 is a bit high, but not ridiculously high like some of you are acting.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've been getting a feeling that PJ and Vedder have been making a strong push for the last two years with their tours and have been a bit more high profile than usuaul; and that after this they're going to disappear for quite a while.

Give me a break... How the hell do you know they are going to disappear for while....
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • Options
    Its called inflation.....
    The Dow Jones started at 1, at first and a stamp used to cost $.01
    Sometimes "Majority" just means all of the Fools are in Agreement.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Solat13 wrote:
    I think it's more that the band set themselves up for these kind of pieces when they were fighting for what they believed in back in the 90's.

I don't think it's that much. I mean Borgata tix were $95 3 years ago and it was a similar size venue.

So it's a pretty easy story to write if you're a hack writer. "Idealistic" band sells out. Sort of like everyone loves the underground band until they became famous.

perfectly said
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    let me get this straight....

pearl jam tried to stop ticketmaster monopolistic practices and due to great lobbing efforts on behalf of tm and the lack of support from the music industry they failed to change anything, so now ed should charge 5 bucks to see his show? is that what i'm getting from some people including the author (and i use that term loosely) of the posted article?

are people really that clueless?
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I don't know about, but even though things are more expensive I am also getting paid a lot more now than I was in 1995.

Well duh. I hope you had a raise or two over the last 13 years.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Pearl Jam's stature in rock is at legendary status. They are on the same level as the big boys(although i rate them higher but im talkin critically). Their impact on music is huge, they define an era as Elvis, Zeppelin, the Who, Bruce and U2 did before them. They could be selling their tickets at the same price as other artists begining at $225/ticket. For crying out loud im paying $125 to watch the f-ing Police from the nose bleed section, because my niece wants to go. The fact that PJ's tickets are still under 100 bucks is astounding. As for Eddie selling his solo show at 65/ticket, it is more than fair you bunch of mofos. Again we are talkin about a legendary artist here.

Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread about what prices are like these days, and seriously if i was to take my wife out on a date, we are looking at the same price of 2 tickets.

He could have easily charged $100 a ticket.

How about a sporting event? What do you pay to see an NHL, NFL, MLB(in decent seats) and NBA games?

How many CD's do you buy a month? (or do you just download them for free?)

What about DVD's?

Do you go to see movies? do you buy a pop and maybe some popcorn when your there?

I could go on and on.

Man i wish he was coming east.

peace
  • Options
    I couldn't think of a better way to spend $70.00 myself...The piano man is playing Shea stadium and just about every seat in the house is $95.00 face...same with Springsteen. I think we can find many more examples of much higher priced tickets rather than the opposite. What band (with a similar size following) offers a better value for your dollar?

I was a little surprised and impressed that Radiohead tickets were as affordable as they are. They are charging about 40-60 bucks per ticket, but in venues about 5 times larger than the venues Vedder is playing. I would rather pay a small premium for a small venue show rather than paying 40 bucks to watch a concert in a basketball arena.

You can take a look at Stubhub and get a pretty good indication of what the market will bear for any particular concert. In this case, its about $150.00. If EdVed's tix were $25.00, the scalpers would just be making that much more coin. Vedder would be short changing himself and lining the pockets of scalpers with $50's instead of $20's. If concert promoters charge enough money, the scalpers think twice about whether they can buy the tickets and turn them around for a profit. Its a tough balance to find. Obviously Hannah Montana tickets were priced way under value and scalpers took advantage...thats how it works.
    Gorge
  • Options
    That said, I will not shed a tear when Vedder and others charging astronomical prices for concerts complain that people steal their music.

Inadvertently, this article brings up a valid point. The music industry has experienced a sea-change since 1995. The only money to be made in music these days are in playing live shows. You make practically zilch on recorded music.

I think you almost have to charge more to recoup the losses of a shitload of people getting your music for free.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Inadvertently, this article brings up a valid point. The music industry has experienced a sea-change since 1995. The only money to be made in music these days are in playing live shows. You make practically zilch on recorded music.

I think you almost have to charge more to recoup the losses of a shitload of people getting your music for free.

exactly.....and even before downloading you had to tour to make money because the record companies took most of the money off the albums....
  • Options
    if it was just $65 after the fees I wouldn't have a problem really, but you gotta realize that TM puts an add on fee that is 1/3 of the ticket price, so really you are paying close to $90
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Options

or you could have the reverse affect...Nickelback sells 10 million records but when they tour they get stoned by fans
  • Options
    TEEJAM11TEEJAM11 Posts: 335
    I would of paid $100 bucks per ticket and not eat for months!!!!!
    I love the fact that he is playing anywhere!!!!
    everyone asks for shows, well here u are.
    Why shouldn't Eddie make some money?
  • Options
    Jzs20Jzs20 Posts: 28
    It's a shame how things turned out isn't it ? At the same time, wouldn't you pay just about anything to see Pearl jam live ? 90 dollars doesn't seem too much for such a great band. I just feel bad for that kid or teenager that won't be able to go to one of their shows because of the high price tag.
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951

Exactly, Versus sold around 7 million copies, The Avocado Album sold only around 1.7 million. Even though the band only makes a little bit of money off of those sales that is still a huge difference. If they want to maintain the lifestyles that they are used to then they have to raise more money from other areas to make up the difference

It would be like if your boss cut your salary to about 25% what you were making in 1993, you would have to find other ways to make up the difference in cash if you wanted to live in the same house and drive the same car.
  • Options
    I do agree with the article. Unfortunately and sadly things have changed with time. I really miss the old days and the genuine and passionate energy that they put into pursuing what they believed in.
    "I am the first mammal to wear pants....yeah"
    6/95 -SF, CA.
    11/95 -SJ, CA.
    7/03 -Mt. View, CA.
    10/25/03 -Mt. View, CA.
    7/9/06 -LA, CA.
    7/15/06 -SF, CA.
    7/17/06 -SF, CA.
    10/22/06 -Mt. View, CA.
    12/9/06 -Honolulu, HI
    Eddie!-SC, CA. 4/5/08
    Eddie!-Berkeley. 4/7/08
    6/28/08- Mansfield, MA.
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I think that article is being quite hard on Eddie, but it is a good article in my opinion regardless, and not just aimed toward Eddie, but to all bands everywhere.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    If you dont like the cost
    DONT BUY THE TICKETS
    stay home and listen to 90's boots so you can imagine your 10 years ago
    Cant believe this thread. You get great tickets to see a true singer songwriter play his own stuff
    I WOULD PAY DOUBLE TO SEE ED PLAY
    last tour we paid $100 to see PJ here in OZ. and it was worth every farken cent... TWICE
    PEARL JAM FOUGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST TICKETMASTER AND LOST. if they had won things might have been different.
    but alas they didnt
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE