Why no Oscar nod for Ed?

2»

Comments

• rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,547
    Hollyweird wrote:
    It was deemed ineligible because the Academy felt he drew material for the soundtrack from previously recorded music. It was deemed to be not original for that reasons. Ed got shut out, as did Sean Penn, because the Academy is far too conservative for the likes of Ed. Could Ed have been trusted not to bash Bush if he won? Not a chance.

Academy and conservative are rarely synonymous. Especially in this case.

There have been PLENTY of anti-administration and social issue speeches given from the Oscars stage through the years.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    rhinomagic wrote:
    ...because Falling Slowly was better, perhaps? :cool:

I think so, anyway.

As much as I hate to admit it, I agree.

I watched it played on the Oscars and on the video clip on Amazon, then downloaded it and loved it.

But then I rented the movie. All I can say is ..... wow.

Very nice song from a great film.

I was chuffed. ($1 to Colin Farrell)
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,554
    The credits are considered part of the film.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • rhinomagic wrote:
    Academy and conservative are rarely synonymous. Especially in this case.

There have been PLENTY of anti-administration and social issue speeches given from the Oscars stage through the years.

Sorry, "conservative" and "Academy" are synonymous, not one of those speeches were made to the delight of the Board of Governors, quite the opposite You should also keep in mind that, despite the low mentality of political discourse in this society, conservative has other contexts rather than VS. LIBERAL!!! This BS about Eddie not receiving the Best Score nomination because it was really "a collection of songs" and not a score, wouldn't even ring true with Bush's room temperature IQ. And the song was written for the film, and that's all it takes. How many of the literate reviews said that one of the most satisfying bits of Into The Wild was that the music worked beautifully with the film, not like those rejects who slap songs in that have nothing to do with the FILM at all, but just for the sake of the soundtrack album sales.

They made damn sure Disney received three nominations for that film because they wanted to showcase the songs for the money people, because this Enchanted thing is going to be up on Broadway by the autumn of 2009 the latest, book it! They can't quite control who's going to win, but they were less concerned with that than with having them performed and hogging up three of the performance spots. Eddie would have been a bit too much for them at this point -- remember, it was only 20 years ago that they got Ann Reinking, from Broadway, and who had no connection to the song, to substitute for the "objectionable" PHIL COLLINS, instead of letting him sing his own song!!

Didn't mean for this to be so long, but I'm really annoyed for Eddie...
    "Over the dirt, we soar,
    on a search for anything pure."
    Say Goodbye
    jeff aTONEment
    "See, he's got me kinda riled already...jerk..."
    Stoney, about Eddie, with love! (And to his face!)
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,547
    MrsOakley wrote:
    Sorry, "conservative" and "Academy" are synonymous, not one of those speeches were made to the delight of the Board of Governors, quite the opposite You should also keep in mind that, despite the low mentality of political discourse in this society, conservative has other contexts rather than VS. LIBERAL!!! This BS about Eddie not receiving the Best Score nomination because it was really "a collection of songs" and not a score, wouldn't even ring true with Bush's room temperature IQ. And the song was written for the film, and that's all it takes. How many of the literate reviews said that one of the most satisfying bits of Into The Wild was that the music worked beautifully with the film, not like those rejects who slap songs in that have nothing to do with the FILM at all, but just for the sake of the soundtrack album sales.

They made damn sure Disney received three nominations for that film because they wanted to showcase the songs for the money people, because this Enchanted thing is going to be up on Broadway by the autumn of 2009 the latest, book it! They can't quite control who's going to win, but they were less concerned with that than with having them performed and hogging up three of the performance spots. Eddie would have been a bit too much for them at this point -- remember, it was only 20 years ago that they got Ann Reinking, from Broadway, and who had no connection to the song, to substitute for the "objectionable" PHIL COLLINS, instead of letting him sing his own song!!

Didn't mean for this to be so long, but I'm really annoyed for Eddie...

You're telling me that the Acadamy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) is a conservative (yes, I know it has other contexts; please see Hollyweird's post for THIS context) lot? The same group that rewards filmmakers for innovation, creativity, and imagination brought to life is conservative as a whole? The men and women who give notoriety to films challenging the status quo and changing perceptions about sex, social justice, disease, corruption, and a myriad of other pertinent issues are a band of conservatives?

Film-making/Hollywood/recording artists are commonly understood as a left-leaning group. It should be no surprise when they are labeled as such. You can't legitimately say that the Academy and its Board of Governors remain neutral by shunning the most liberal of their groups, either. Sean Penn won an Oscar within the last five years. Michael Moore won an Oscar recently, too. Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth was recognized. Brokeback Mountain, as well.

I'm not saying that the Academy wishes to present their Oscar telecast as a liberal-fest. I'm sure staying as neutral as possible during the show helps the industry by appealing to more consumers. But you can't possibly think they have a vendetta against Eddie Vedder because of his politics or social views. That is not consistent with recent history.

Do they like the fact that Disney provides a large chunk of their revenue through film-making? I'm sure of it. Did that drive the Academy's decision to nominate three songs from the same film? I can't say for sure, but it's possible. Is it likely that they would rather have Disney performances more than Ed with a guitar because he might be controversial? If you say yes, I think you're reaching a bit.

Ed's speech at the Grammys probably rings true a little here (though he was being an ass and taking a swipe at that particular Academy). It's tough to judge one form of art better than another. How can you do it objectively or scientifically? You can't. It's an opinion. And in the case of the Grammys, Oscars, Halls of Fame and other such awards, the opinion of those who vote carry infinitely more weight than yours or mine.

Nice first post. And welcome to the Message Pit. :D

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • mohomoho Posts: 540
    I'm fucking glad eddie wasn't nominated. the oscars are a fake, utterly disgusting facade. It's tacky and anything other than best film or best actor/actress/director means fuck all really. I mean those songs from enchanted were a joke... If people really took that enchanted stuff seriously they deserve to be pointed and laughed at.
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!