Options

Kings of Leon cant comprehend bands who dont want success

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited October 2010 in Other Music
In an interview with MTV today the followills said they hate indie and hipsters. While its quite odd since when their first albums came out and even on to Because of the Times they were huge in the blog buzz band realm.

while im a fan of the band, and actually am not turned off by the arena rock sound they have embraced, i found this next sentence odd:

"I think when we were considered 'hipsters,' if you will, we were never backing down from success; we were never doing that on purpose. When someone like U2 asked us to go on the road, we immediately were like, 'Yeah! Pearl Jam? Yeah! Bob Dylan? Yeah!' They were all different things, and we wanted to get ourselves out there and for people to hear our music," he said. "We weren't dumbing it down, and there was never a point in our career where we were like, 'Oh man, I think we should scale it back otherwise we're going to be popular.' And anyone who acts like that, I think they're full of it. No one wants to not succeed in what they do, and I think in any walk of life, you wanna be the best at what it is you do, and that's always been our goal."

That explanation is naive and oddly makes little sense. The 2 bands he cites here notoriously scaled it back because they were going to be popular. Dylan orchestrated the whole motorcycle crash in 66 and disappeared for a few years following the madness of being called the spokesman of his generation. And he later put out albums like Planet Waves which by his own admission was solely designed to lose fans.
Pearl Jam we all know the story with them. Following the massive success of Ten and Vs, they released Vitalogy, started not doing videos, refused interviews, took on ticketmaster, refused to tour, and released No Code, which by Ed's own admission was an attempt to lose fans.

So while Kings of Leon are without a doubt one of the biggest bands in the world at this point, their analysis of rock history, and bands who pull in the reins when they are about to be famous is childish and naive at best.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I don't think Dylan or PJ were trying to lose fans as much as they'd like you to think. They were trying to get rid of all the people that liked them b/c they were the cool thing(ie not fans). I also kinda see it as an ego thing, to show how in control of things they were.

As for KoL....Their last 3 albums are alot better than the first 2. They've actually grown into and developed their own style. I never for a minute thought they were down and dirty southern boys. Always seemed more like preppy redneck sissies to me.
  • Options
    DL136722DL136722 Not sure... Posts: 645
    edited January 2011
    Post edited by DL136722 on
    Tweeter Center - Aug 29, 2000;Tweeter Center - Aug 30, 2000;Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000;Pepsi Arena - Apr 29, 2003;Bryce-Jordan Center - May 03, 2003;Bell Center - Jun 29, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 05, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 06, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 08, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003;TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006;TD Banknorth Garden - May 25, 2006;Fleet Center - Sept 28, 2004;Fleet Center - Sept 29, 2004;Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 New England Dodge Music Arena - May 13, 2006;Grant Park - Aug 05, 2007;Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008;Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008 XL Arena - May 15, 2010;TD Garden - May 17, 2010;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sept 03, 2011;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011 Corel Centre - Sep 16, 2005;Colisee Pepsi Arena - Sep 20, 2005; Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 15, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 16, 2013; Fenway Park - August 5, 2016; Fenway Park - August 7, 2016

Oh Dude!
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394

So while Kings of Leon are without a doubt one of the biggest bands in the world at this point, their analysis of rock history, and bands who pull in the reins when they are about to be famous is childish and naive at best.

They're young men just trying to figure it all out. A few years from now, they'll say something else. That's just life in general.

Everyone is just trying to make sense of wherever it is they are and later they see things differently because they have more experience.

Of course they're naive. So are you if one can comment upon some of the threads we've seen you put up. :P :geek:

But, be assured, everyone is just trying to figure it out in their own world. :mrgreen:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    "No one wants to not succeed in what they do, and I think in any walk of life, you wanna be the best at what it is you do, and that's always been our goal."

I like this bit. :) Be it KoL, Pearl Jam, Robert Plant, any band out there. Hell, not even musicians, people of every and any profession.. Don't we all want to succeed in what we do? Success, of course doesn't always mean fame. For example, I think I succeeded in making a very nice birhtday card for my brother today. :mrgreen:

Anyway, just thought I'd mention. :lol:
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    No one joins a sport to ride the bench.

Some people are more comfortable operating at higher levels than other people.

That is ok.

What is wrong with everyone finding their own comfort level? Nothing.

If in the process it is necessary to shake things up to keep your head, then who cares? In the long run, no one.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    so im posting on a pj message board so its a safe bet im a fan of them. and i explicitly wrote in my post i am a fan of kings of leon. im a massive fan of dylan, going as far as to call him the greatest songwriter in history, so who exactly am I dissing?

I dont really understand you all. Pearl Jam and Dylan have both said, read that again, rewind! Both have said, they tried to lose fans. If you want to say some alien invaded Dylan and Ed's body when they said this, thats your own problem. I choose the people who lived it, I believe them.

And no, I dont think they didnt want alot of fans because it was "cool" to not have fans. When was it ever cool to not be a huge rock star? Even in the 90's, that was a cool thing. The 60's it certainly was.

In PJ's case, the band got too big. It turned into something the band, especially Ed didnt want. He had stalkers, he was dangerusly close to what Kurt felt, and I just think it got too much for him. Ed has explicitly said, No Code was an album released to lose them fans. Now, not all the PJ members agreed with this route but all agree thats what happened. They didnt do it to be cool. Ed didnt say "Hey lets release no Code and release a single thats wired and bizaare, because thats the cool thing!" When has PJ ever said that!

Dylan-anyone who is worth their amount in rock history, or dylan history, knows the stress put upon dylan, in the 1960's. he was HUGE! He released songs the civil rights movement and antiwar movement latched onto, was called the spokesman of a generation, and people tried to woo him to speak on different causes behalfs. he went electric and people FREAKED out. They felt he was betraying the movement and the people. Dylan talks about hippies in the 1960's coming to his house, sneaking in and having relations in his bed, all while he was gone. it was nuts. so dylan, either from stress crashed his bike on his own accord, or made up the story so as to be left the hell alone. he disappeared for years, and has admitted Planet Waves, was made to lose fans.

I dont see the problem here folks. Are we really arguing this point? Isnt it pretty common knowledge that Pj and Dylan both, and especially as we are in a PJ forum, that these 2 bands deliberately sabotaged their own career? How is that not basic PJ and Dylan 101 to you people?
  • Options
    HeavyHands wrote:
    No one joins a sport to ride the bench.

Some people are more comfortable operating at higher levels than other people.

That is ok.

What is wrong with everyone finding their own comfort level? Nothing.

If in the process it is necessary to shake things up to keep your head, then who cares? In the long run, no one.

WHo are you addressing here? Ive been on this board since 2003 and not once have I suggested PJ or Dylan, were stupid for pulling back. Im arguing the opposite, that KOL are childish for making fun of those who deal with fame differently.

Its one thing for KOL to say, we like fame, we enjoy it, its another thing to say the bands who pull back are "full of it" thus disengenuine.

I think ultimately for dylan and PJ the pulling back and sabotaging of their own careers was the greatest thing they ever did, personally and professionally. i dont think either of them would be alive today if they had done otherwise
  • Options
    DL136722 wrote:
    You just don't get it do you? If you think PJ or any other band tries to "lose" fans you are not a very bright person. It falls under the whole thing of " I don't want to be a rock star" but in fact you do and by saying you don't it makes sound like it's happenning but it not "our" doing.

Cobain did this, PJ did this all good bands do this so it comes across as if they have no part in the explosion of success - bullshit! Ask yourself - why would a band be on tour for so long, put all that time in making albums just to not be famous - just like or dislike there music don't go into this anaylsis.

All big bands have done this so get over it - no one makes you listen or buy music - it's on you!

DL, with all due respect, you need to do some research. this is basic rock history 101. there is nothing in your post above that is accurate. neil young, pj, dylan, all have pulled back and deliberately done things to lose fans. if you cant see that, then i dont know what
  • Options
    KOL can say all they want, I just think is insulting and shows a lack of understanding of the price of fame and the effects it has on people. As I said, Im all for them shouting from the highest rooftops that they enjoy being one of the biggest bands in the world. more power to them. what I dont get, and what makes me uncomfortable, is the level of arrogance and lack of empathy and understanding they show to bands like PJ and Dylan and any other band who makes it big, but has a hard time dealing with success and fame.

Sucess and fame and all that are all very hard things to deal with. the history of literature, film, music, art is littered with extremely talented people who have become famous and have had a very rough road dealing with it.
  • Options
    i think its hard to imagine, unless you've ever been in that situation. what fame does to you. and i think its easy for alot of us, who may not have money to say, "what could possibly be bad about being in a rock band, getting paid millions for it, and having millions of people say you are the greatest thing since sliced bread". but i think fame and money and all that has a price. and i honestly think, the bands i care about, or have cared about are bands that dont start up because they want to be the biggest band of all time. few bands ever start up, or last with that credo. in fact, has lasting art ever been created with the artist having that in mind? Van Gogh didnt paint his self portrait because he felt he would be the greatest painter in history, he just painted what he felt.

the point is, ive never understood people who cant understand what fame and money does to people. you had people after kurt died saying, he was a poseur or a liar. i dont think many of us will ever know what he felt. to have people consider you the spokesman of a generation. i mean for a guy who grew up in aberdeen that had to have been absolutely insane.
  • Options
    they walked off stage and cancelled the show cause a bird shit in the one dude's mouth

that's not very rock n roll, IMNSHO

slice it any way u want...
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Putting an album out to lose fans is fine as long as it's not a purposeful step down in musical quality.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    The first time i ever heard them
    was opening for pj
    bought everything they had done
    and bought only by the night when it was released
    "crawl" is fucking awesome
    but i am done
    i will not buy the new one
    didn't care for their clothing line
    and don't much care for the comments in this article
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    I dont see the problem here folks. Are we really arguing this point? Isnt it pretty common knowledge that Pj and Dylan both, and especially as we are in a PJ forum, that these 2 bands deliberately sabotaged their own career? How is that not basic PJ and Dylan 101 to you people?

I believed this theory when i was 16. I'm a little older now.

PJ's pulling back was more about not burning themselves out. Being a fad and then disapearing into obscurity (see many 80's band and the Nu Metal genre). Also, it was a lot less Pearl Jams move than it was Ed's. He had a great plan that luckily the band abided by. The whole sabatoging their career is overblown.

As for KOL, if i enjoy an album of theirs i'll bite. If i don't i won't. Could give two shits about what they say. Interviews are often taken out of context. Not to say this is, but i just could care less
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    The KOL quote is bashing bands that back off before they get famous, not after. Pearl Jam and Bob Dylan weren't going to be popular, they were already popular and didn't want to deal with it. They weren't going after bands that couldn't handle their own popularity, but bands that sabotaged their own careers in order to avoid ever being popular. Which is why the examples they used were good. They were bands that are popular and could help further KOL's career and popularity.
  • Options
    tvismyfriend, very interesting analysis, and i actually think you may be spot on here. but i think the problem i have with your theory is scale back is used. in order for a band to scale back, they need to be scaling back, or pulling back from something. and that to me sort of negates the idea they are talking about an unknown band. a band that is a regular small time band, they have nothing to pull back from. its the bands that are almost popular, nearing that threshold, or are already famous and big that need to pull back.

if anything, even if KOL is talking about an unknown band, is this even the way of the world? I didnt know the cool thing lately in music, was to not be a popular band. they mention hipsters and indie bands as a subject of their hatred, and indie music is my favorite genre. i read pitchfork and stereogum and brooklyn vegan, and have been a fan of "indie" since 2005/2006. if anything as evidenced by bands like modest mouse or the shins or sleigh bells or whoever liscencing their music to tv and commercials, the cool thing is quite the opposite. the cool thing is to want to get your music out to as many people as you can.

so either way, the KOL are really out of the loop in their analysis.
  • Options
    if anything we are living in an age where the odd thing is to be a band who doesnt want to be big and famous, or at least epose their music to millions of people.
  • Options
    jr19jr19 Posts: 338
    kol show a lot of ignorance with that statement...
  • Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    tvismyfriend, very interesting analysis, and i actually think you may be spot on here. but i think the problem i have with your theory is scale back is used. in order for a band to scale back, they need to be scaling back, or pulling back from something. and that to me sort of negates the idea they are talking about an unknown band. a band that is a regular small time band, they have nothing to pull back from. its the bands that are almost popular, nearing that threshold, or are already famous and big that need to pull back.

if anything, even if KOL is talking about an unknown band, is this even the way of the world? I didnt know the cool thing lately in music, was to not be a popular band. they mention hipsters and indie bands as a subject of their hatred, and indie music is my favorite genre. i read pitchfork and stereogum and brooklyn vegan, and have been a fan of "indie" since 2005/2006. if anything as evidenced by bands like modest mouse or the shins or sleigh bells or whoever liscencing their music to tv and commercials, the cool thing is quite the opposite. the cool thing is to want to get your music out to as many people as you can.

so either way, the KOL are really out of the loop in their analysis.
    Well you can use KOL as an example of having the opportunity to scale back. After their third album I would have considered them to be a somewhat unknown band. In the sense that their music wasn't everywhere. There was an article I read awhile back. In it Caleb said that after first listening to the album Eddie Vedder said that they were going to become huge. Hypothetically, if after hearing this Caleb and the band decided to take out some of the more radio friendly songs and go with a less accessible format, that could be considered as scaling back from popularity.
  • Options
    i respect them for owning up to their "sell out" behavior... its sincerity if nothing else

and i dont think its naive to mention dylan or PJ in the conversation... they aren't saying that either followed the same business plan... they're both still huge band despite their efforts... and they're mentioning them in relation to the efforts KOL have made to become big... opening for big live bands gets your music heard

i still hope they scale back the promo stuff a little bit now that they are huge... they have a much stronger album than their last one and it should be able to stand alone without being tainted by tv soundtracks and mtv appearances
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    PJ weren't trying to lose fans, they were trying to avoid over exposure. That doesn't mean they didn't want to be popular, quite the opposite. They didn't want the hate backlash that all over exposed bands/celebrities eventually endure.

Mike said it one of the interviews, maybe Rolling Stone, where he was against it at the time, cause he was excited at getting big, but he sees now that "Ed was brilliant" is I think the quote he said.

It wasn't to be "cool" or "indie" or have some bullshit cred. They didn't want eyes on them at all freakin' times. They wanted to do what they wanted when they wanted, not be paraded around on fashion magazines.

It's pretty simple. And very believable.

That guy from KOL basically said in that quote that Eddie Vedder is full of it. Nice guy.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    KOL come off as very immature. I like their music, but I don't think I like their attitude.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    Since you mentioned No Code, I like No Code better than I like Backspacer.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    Paul David wrote:
    PJ weren't trying to lose fans, they were trying to avoid over exposure. That doesn't mean they didn't want to be popular, quite the opposite. They didn't want the hate backlash that all over exposed bands/celebrities eventually endure.

Mike said it one of the interviews, maybe Rolling Stone, where he was against it at the time, cause he was excited at getting big, but he sees now that "Ed was brilliant" is I think the quote he said.

It wasn't to be "cool" or "indie" or have some bullshit cred. They didn't want eyes on them at all freakin' times. They wanted to do what they wanted when they wanted, not be paraded around on fashion magazines.

It's pretty simple. And very believable.

That guy from KOL basically said in that quote that Eddie Vedder is full of it. Nice guy.

you pretty much quoted my page one post. So I agree with your points here :)
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    I just don't get why so many people get so upset at bands that make it big. the op says in one of his statements above that the cool thing is to get as many people as possible to hear your music. well i'd say that Kings has done a pretty good job of it. but now they get flamed for it. i don't understand why just because you love this band's music or that band's music we somehow own the music or the spirit of the music. enjoy it, take what it gives you. they surely can't be that bad of guys if the guys we love so much chose to take them out on tour, hang out with them at their home, where their t-shirts and such. granted i don't enjoy some of the people that go to their shows now because they are there because it's cool to be there right now. but shit man, they are young kids having a good time enjoying their youth. thats what it is about and i think maybe the point Kings are trying to make. Take what life gives you and ride the wave while you can.
    nothing as it seems.....
  • Options
    whgarrettwhgarrett Posts: 574
    Their new album is BORING. Oh wait....so was the last one. No edge. On the surface their most recent songs are drenched with emotion, but their older shit is filled with soooo much more passion. Caleb needs to dry out. Get a new perspective.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    whgarrett wrote:
    On the surface their most recent songs are drenched with emotion, but their older shit is filled with soooo much more passion.

QFT

Their older stuff is much better
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09