Options

World Wide Suicide

rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
edited January 2008 in The Porch
I'm sorry but I finally have got to admit it. I HATE this song. Absolutely despise it. When it first came out I was like oh okay, this is okay but then I just started hearing it way too often and was just like this song has to stop. I can't even stand that beginning noise too. Uch!

I'd rather drop ecstacy while listening to Pry, To backwards 146 times than listening to this song.

Anyone agree/disagree?
Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
Butthead: Huh huh.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    edited July 2012
    Post edited by Fahka on
  • Options
    Not a fave, but I don't hate it, and if I am listening to a boot...I don't skip it.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    zootownzootown Posts: 666
    Didnt like WWS when it first came out, and still dont like the studio version, however, the live version has grown on me some...
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,439
    I love it.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    I really like it, especially live.
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    "In theform of a morning paper
    laid out for me to see
    saw his face in a corner picture
    I recognised the name
    could not stop staring at the
    face I'll never see again"

And

"medals on a wooden mantle
    next to a handsome face
    that the president took for granted
    writing checks that other's pay"

The lyrics are great, how can you not like them? It is so emotive, and pulls on the heart strings.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    i disagree ace
    "you can say that we're, nocturnal, posssomists"
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    I love this song! It did and still does carry an important message while being simple and accessible.

I love the passion and anger behind it.

I can see the reason's why the music snob wouldn't like it though. IE: It's way too poppy...it's way too accessible.

Get over it! Not every song PJ does has to be intricate and hard to digest.

They have earned the right to just simply rock out a pop song once in a while...haven't they?

While not in my favorite Pearl Jam song...I think they show you can write a simple song whilst still hammering home a heavy message.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    I love this song! It did and still does carry an important message while being simple and accessible.

I love the passion and anger behind it.

I can see the reason's why the music snob wouldn't like it though. IE: It's way too poppy...it's way too accessible.

Get over it! Not every song PJ does has to be intricate and hard to digest.

They have earned the right to just simply rock out a pop song once in a while...haven't they?

While not in my favorite Pearl Jam song...I think they show you can write a simple song whilst still hammering home a heavy message.

I agree completely. Lyrically it's a really good song too. "Tell you to pray, while the devil's on their shoulder." Is one amazing line. Although I will say that I would rather listen to the album version than any of the live versions.
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    It's a good song. It's so simple though that it feels kinda boring now, but it's by no means a bad song at all.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    phillyfanphillyfan Posts: 831
    its a good one
    If you hate something dont you do it too
    world fucking champs!!!
  • Options
    Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
    I almost like the message rather than the song as a whole...if that makes sense.

Lyrically, it's pretty damn good, better than a lot of half assed anti-war songs coming out right now.
  • Options
    jessejesse Posts: 170
    its a great song, go drop some more pills mate
  • Options
    I like the song but can see why some would hate it. I remember when a 20 second or so clip of it was released before the single hit and people here were creaming their pants. They were making assumptions about the album and how "Pearl Jam is back to their roots!" and "This record is gonna sell 2 million copies!" based on a 20 second clip of that song. I swear 20% of this board is special olympians.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I LOVE this song! I love the beat. It's one of those songs I could put on repeat. One of the few Pearl Jam songs you can actually dance to.

My only gripe.. I think it sucks live.
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I swear 20% of this board is special olympians.

LOL...that was funny.

I was never a huge fan of WWS. I think I tolerate it just because its Pearl Jam, but I never really enjoyed it. It just seems like a generic easy song for Pearl Jam. Insert generic rock riff, insert generic political lyrics, insert weak chorus. Its beneath them.
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,563
    Im a huge fan and it was the live version that did it for me. Its a fitting song to their fast playing and Eddie performs it withm a passion I haven't seen in a while!
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    StinkfootStinkfoot Posts: 546
    well my four year old daughter loves it.....and she has great taste.
    "I get into a state of consciousness that I can't explain. It is about feeling and not thinking. I get positive chills and insight into things that I can't get to any other way. It is Healing of the Soul." - Mike McCready
  • Options
    No WayNo Way Posts: 39
    I love this line:

"Looking in the eyes of the fallen . . .
    You've got to know there's another, another, another, another, another . . .
    way"

Great double meaning there. That kind of songwriting is rare and Ed is very good at it.
    I just need someone to be there for . . . me
    I just want someone to be there for . . .
  • Options
    Igottago wrote:
    LOL...that was funny.

I was never a huge fan of WWS. I think I tolerate it just because its Pearl Jam, but I never really enjoyed it. It just seems like a generic easy song for Pearl Jam. Insert generic rock riff, insert generic political lyrics, insert weak chorus. Its beneath them.

That's how I feel about many of the songs on Avocado. Life Wasted might be the most generic rocker they've ever done. Severed Hand has a stupid riff and the middle 8 is horrible. Come Back is the cheesiest song ever written. WWS actually isn't half as bad as those stinkbombs.
  • Options
    my favorite song on the album
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,656
    pjfan31 wrote:
    "In theform of a morning paper
    laid out for me to see
    saw his face in a corner picture
    I recognised the name
    could not stop staring at the
    face I'll never see again"

And

"medals on a wooden mantle
    next to a handsome face
    that the president took for granted
    writing checks that other's pay"

The lyrics are great, how can you not like them? It is so emotive, and pulls on the heart strings.

Is it laid out for him to see, or layed-out?

And if he's seen the face before, then of course he would recognize the name?
  • Options
    gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    one of the better songs on the album IMO. I would rather do without Army Reserve.
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    JWBusher wrote:
    That's how I feel about many of the songs on Avocado. Life Wasted might be the most generic rocker they've ever done. Severed Hand has a stupid riff and the middle 8 is horrible. Come Back is the cheesiest song ever written. WWS actually isn't half as bad as those stinkbombs.

Well I agree with you on the album as a whole, it feels pretty generic. However, I do think Life Wasted is a fantastic song, in the classic Pearl Jam way...great energy. The rest of the album is fairly forgettable.
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I'm sorry but I finally have got to admit it. I HATE this song. Absolutely despise it. When it first came out I was like oh okay, this is okay but then I just started hearing it way too often and was just like this song has to stop. I can't even stand that beginning noise too. Uch!

I'd rather drop ecstacy while listening to Pry, To backwards 146 times than listening to this song.

Anyone agree/disagree?
    I like it.
    I like how Eddie screams suiciiiide!!!!!!!!!!
    I have to listen to that album soon.. I shelfed it a while back.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    NC_IrieNC_Irie Posts: 270
    love it! all of it!
    Empty pockets will allow a greater sense of wealth.
    Why contain yourself like any other book on the shelf?

Subtle voices in the wind hear the truth they're telling.
    A world begins where the road ends.
    Watch me leave it all behind.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    gibbits wrote:
    one of the better songs on the album IMO. I would rather do without Army Reserve.

agree with that.

And having known a kid that was killed there, it just hits home so much..............
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Lizard wrote:
    agree with that.

And having known a kid that was killed there, it just hits home so much..............
    Aw...that sucks...I am sorry to hear that. It is so heartbreaking...especially when you know someone. My little cousin was over there for a while and it was terrifying.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 685
    Love WWS!! Whenever I play it my wife and I always end up bouncing around the room.
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    tish wrote:
    Is it laid out for him to see, or layed-out?

And if he's seen the face before, then of course he would recognize the name?

Picky pick picky, but i am glad to say you a wrong on both accounts. It is "laid out" And you don't necessarily know everyones name.

I know the face's of heaps of people, doesn't mean I know there name.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014