Options

Kid friendly lyrics

emeraldkityemeraldkity Posts: 370
edited December 2007 in The Porch
Well... my older daughter works in an elementary school and the kids have requested a Pearl Jam mix tape.
Her supervisor has approved it, but reminded her it has to be "kid" friendly, by which I take to mean violent imagery & the seven words George Carlin reminds us we can't say on TV are out.

Including one of my favorites, like when PJ is playing Madison Square Garden and Eddie starts commenting on the signs held up by fans, including
Play Leash, you pussies , ;)

Anyway- off the top of my head, I can't think of a lot that don't include four letter words, especially since I mostly listen to live versions & I am currently preoccupied by cramming for finals- so I would love suggestions to pass along to her.

Im assuming covers are OK too.
( I've actually remembered some- but I thought this would be a fun thread)
Thanks
:)
You must be the change you want to see in the world
-Gandhi
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    There are many :D However, aside from 4-letter words, would "mature content" also be bad? Like the meanings behind lyrics (some literal some not so literal), like for example 'Daughter'.

If covers are welcome why not their most popular (at least for most people who don't bleed PJ), 'Last Kiss'. Although someone dies in that song..

This is harder than I thought! Lol.

Betterman seems good. Black? Alive? Just trying to think of their more popular "catchy" songs.

Anyway, if/when you come up with something, post it here. It would probably be a good starter mix for anyone.
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    Well... my older daughter works in an elementary school and the kids have requested a Pearl Jam mix tape.
    Her supervisor has approved it, but reminded her it has to be "kid" friendly, by which I take to mean violent imagery & the seven words George Carlin reminds us we can't say on TV are out.

Including one of my favorites, like when PJ is playing Madison Square Garden and Eddie starts commenting on the signs held up by fans, including
    Play Leash, you pussies , ;)

Anyway- off the top of my head, I can't think of a lot that don't include four letter words, especially since I mostly listen to live versions & I am currently preoccupied by cramming for finals- so I would love suggestions to pass along to her.

Im assuming covers are OK too.
    ( I've actually remembered some- but I thought this would be a fun thread)
    Thanks
    :)

Jeremy, nevermind
    Save you, nope
    Once, oops
    Corduroy, guess not
    Off he goes, damn
    Satan's bed :)

ok seriously
    State of Love and Trust
    Man of the Hour (Benroya Hall)
    Hard to Imagine
    Fatal
    Yellow Led
    Betterman
    Nothingman
    Hail Hail
    Life Wasted (its on Guitar Hero ya kno)
    Evenflow
    Black
    Smile
    Immortality
    MFC
    Dissident
    RVM, no one hears the f word
    Daughter
    Small Town
    Soon Forget maybe
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • Options
    hide your love away..... has to be in there easy enough to sing too!

its OK ...nice sentiment

around the bend
    better man
    off he goes
    i am mine
    world wide suicide.....!

best of luck....... nice idea
    the leaders of the free world are just little boys throwing stones
    Dublin 06,Paris 06
  • Options
    knittedknitted Posts: 244
    that letter in deep3 makes me think big wave should be in there somewhere. are there bad words in it?..uhhmmm...i'm trying to sing it thru in my head right now...no, no bad words - just long ones!
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats
  • Options
    GetALifeGetALife Posts: 553
    ...in this case: don't forget "Education"! ;)
    #Hamburg 2000 * Berlin 06 # Munich * Dusseldorf 2007 # Berlin * Manchester * London 2009 # Dublin * Belfast * Berlin 2010 # Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen 2012# Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin 2014 ___ # EV 2012 - Amsterdam I & II # 2014: Amsterdam I & II - Milan - Trieste - Vienna - Berlin # 2018: Amsterdam I & II - Prague - Krakow - Berlin # 2021 (hopefully): Amsterdam I & II - Vienna - Krakow - Prague
  • Options
    This is an awesome idea. :)

I made a double mix cd for my toddler group, but it's more
    when they go to sleep: slower songs. I also payed attention to
    the lyrics, but I think some of those songs aren't 100% *kids* friendly.
    Anyways, we rarely listen to it when they're running around all day, but also, none of them understand English anyways :D Some don't even speak Croatian yet. ;)

I was gonna write the song's I've put on those cds, here goes:
    (All these are studio except the obvious ones, like some Christmas singles and
    covers)

Oceans, Release, Nothingman, Sometimes, Who You Are, In My Tree, Off He Goes, Present Tense, Around the Bend, Light Years (think I got the demo version here), Thin Air, Soon Forget, Parting Ways, Given To Fly, Wishlist, Low Light, All Those Yesterdays, Thunderclap and Foldback (instrumentals from Touring Band), Can't Keep, Thumbing My Way, You Are, All Or None, Parachutes, Wasted Reprise, Army Reserve, Come Back, Inside Job, Whale Song, Undone, Fatal, Hard To Imagine, Footsteps, Drifting, Last Kiss, Bee Girl, Throw Your Arms Around Me (live), Last Soldier (live), Let Me Sleep, Angel, I Believe in Miracles.

I think thats more then I got for my kids, and as you can see, the list is pretty mellow.
    I'd double check on the lyrics and the meanings, or possible meanings ;)

Let us know which songs she picked, I'm curious :)
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    GetALifeGetALife Posts: 553
    When the tape will be heard in group in class, studio versions might be appropriate...but I'd like to think of a fictional show for my list (that doubles some of the here already mentioned songs, I know)...some have comments which live version might be okay (or better!), too...

Arc
    Long Road
    Spin the black circle (Adelaide II 06)
    Animal
    In my tree
    I am mine
    Corduroy (any version with "PEACE!")
    Garden
    Small Town
    Wishlist (San Antonio 03)
    Life Wasted
    LBC (Oklahoma City 03)
    Smile
    Light years
    RVM (Grand Rapids 06)
    Black (Berlin 06, unplugged)
    Big Wave
    Crazy Mary (studio!)
    Low light (Santa Barbara 06)
    Betterman
    Alive
    Soon Forget
    All those yesterdays/Hidden track
    Bee Girl
    #Hamburg 2000 * Berlin 06 # Munich * Dusseldorf 2007 # Berlin * Manchester * London 2009 # Dublin * Belfast * Berlin 2010 # Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen 2012# Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin 2014 ___ # EV 2012 - Amsterdam I & II # 2014: Amsterdam I & II - Milan - Trieste - Vienna - Berlin # 2018: Amsterdam I & II - Prague - Krakow - Berlin # 2021 (hopefully): Amsterdam I & II - Vienna - Krakow - Prague
  • Options
    I can't remember the live song but it said something like "You are an idiot, go fuck yourself"
    Poetry and powertools