Options

DTE is this song even good?

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
edited February 2008 in The Porch
okay before you all freak, just read the whole comment:

I was watching storytellers for the 30th time and then in the spare time after it ends DTE video comes on. I think it was the first time this ever happened, but I sat there and said to myself this isn't that great of a song and video. It seemed slow, the video just came off as lame(what the hell is going on with that dumb chick dancing??), and Ed's voice/howl just wasn't working for me. Then today Black(UPL) came on my shuffle and I hit skip after half of it....

WTF is wrong with me? Can I be Eddie'd out after 17 years of totally biased love for the band? black unplugged is one of my favortie live tracks ever and I hit advance. I did eat breakfast this monring for the first time in seriously 12 years, could te oatmeal be affecting my brain?

anyways DTE Great/OK/sucks IYHO
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    phases my friend, just phases.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    give em a two month break or something. go cold turkey for a bit, you need.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I '24
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,563
    I think the video makes the song alot better. Its just a kickass video, what can I say...

I think the song has some interesting parts. The part where Stone does his little guitar thing before Eddie comes in to sing "admire me, admire my home, my song, my clothes" is really cool! Easily the bets part of the song! The verses and the chorus is nothing special if you ask me. It one of the songs I am tired of hearing when they perform and I kinda hang around for it to finish.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    top 5 pj for me. easily
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    there, might be a slight...chance that i like it.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859

never would have thought it steph!!
    note to all - steer clear of this girl at a show when DTE comes on!
    she might be short but she packs some punch!!!! :D
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    i think we all go through some "phases"... like for the longest time i couldn't even listen to elderly woman... the song was so overplayed and i must have heard it a million and one times... but once again, it's been revived and i don't skip it on boots anymore...

now it seems to be MFC that i can't stand...
    Camden 7-5-2003, Camden 7-6-2003, Hershey 7-12-2003, Camden 5-27-2006, Camden 5-28-2006, Lollapalooza 8-5-2007, Camden 6-19-2008, Camden 6-20-2008, New York 6-24-2008, New York 6-25-2008, Mansfield 6-28-2008, Mansfield 6-30-2008
  • Options
    Do The Evolution is lyrically one of Pearl Jam's best.....

but yeah we all go through phases with songs/albums......
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    i used to really dislike DTE...
    not sure why....
    love it now though!
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,

• Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,091
    Strangely I never tire of this song, especially the studio version, when Ed wails at the beginning you gotta crank it up LOUD!!!
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    i used to really dislike DTE...
    not sure why....
    love it now though!
    cos you'd know i'd come dance spastically near you during it live - and thats something to avoid... goodness me, i can take out someones eye!
    perhaps if DTE was played at the necessary time i could have cleared out all those ruddy leenkiingk park fans and we wouldnt have gotten separated!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    cos you'd know i'd come dance spastically near you during it live - and thats something to avoid... goodness me, i can take out someones eye!
    perhaps if DTE was played at the necessary time i could have cleared out all those ruddy leenkiingk park fans and we wouldnt have gotten separated!

na, i liked it before that!!
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,

• Options
    SteveoSteveo Posts: 352
    the video kinda kills the song for me. its cool tho
    DTE lo2l oh man

isnt it sacreligious to skip black unplugged?
    Life has nothing to do with killing time.
    So why be satisfied?
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    okay before you all freak, just read the whole comment:

I was watching storytellers for the 30th time and then in the spare time after it ends DTE video comes on. I think it was the first time this ever happened, but I sat there and said to myself this isn't that great of a song and video. It seemed slow, the video just came off as lame(what the hell is going on with that dumb chick dancing??), and Ed's voice/howl just wasn't working for me.

leave this message board and never come back. I mean really, I'm all for people voicing opinions both postive and negative about the band and it's music but if you're hating on the Evolution video.......you're just fucking clueless
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    It is one of my favorites and they can sing it at EVERY show and I'll never get tired of it.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    sounds like you just need a PJ break. i am sure we all get to that level at one point or another. how can you not after constantly listening to the same band for 17 years?
  • Options
    I agree with what everyone else is saying. It really just sounds like you need a break from it. I recommend loading up the 'No Code' album or 'Binaural', and try to figure them out for a few weeks. After a couple of months, revisit "Do the Evolution" and "Black". You'll soon remember why you loved so much in the first place.

I hated "Even Flow" for about a year in like 2000. I gave it a break, and now I just love it.
  • Options
    This is a totally absurd question! It's a great song and a great video, although I will say the song is 10 times better live. Oh well, different strokes for different folks
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    one of my favorite songs and hands down my favorite live song. never gets old.

when i am in a bad mood and turn this song up LOUD there is nothing like that opening scream. i feel like i release all of my frustrations with ed when i hear that.

and that second 'hallelujah"....when ed's deep voice joins in... *sigh* ... might be my favorite moment in any song. still gives me chills, all these years later.
  • Options
    I think you need a break. You have seriously watched Storytellers around 30 times? That is just sad...
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    sounds like you just need a PJ break. i am sure we all get to that level at one point or another. how can you not after constantly listening to the same band for 17 years?

Very true. I love PJ, but I don't listen to only them by any means - you have to have variety. No one entity, music, person, what have you, can fill all needs all the time.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    mini_tbmini_tb Posts: 420
    Where else do you get to hear "I am the first man to wear Depends"? Either find some fun live versions to remind you of how great a song it is, or take a break from it. Seriously, DTE used to be a song that I regularly skipped over till I heard it live. I love it now.
    Glorified version of a pelican
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    I was watching storytellers for the 30th time and then in the spare time after it ends DTE video comes on. I think it was the first time this ever happened, but I sat there and said to myself this isn't that great of a song and video. It seemed slow, the video just came off as lame(what the hell is going on with that dumb chick dancing??), and Ed's voice/howl just wasn't working for me. Then today Black(UPL) came on my shuffle and I hit skip after half of it....
    The studio version is considerably slower than a live performance. But I like that cos it allows for greater appreciation of that awesome groove. ;)
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • Options
    the best was when Ed did a Micheal Jackson moonwalk during DTE. I can't listen now without imagining him doing it.
    DO THE EVOLUTION !
    C'mon...C'mon C'mon!!
    there once was a note...LISTEN !
  • Options
    DTE is my favorite song next to Wash and is the one song I wanted to hear the most at Lolla(my first PJ show). When that guitar line started, I went APESHIT! It rules supremely when played live. I like the way Matt always adds little treats to the drumming, too. When I buy a bootleg, part of my decision is based on whether or not they play it.

And the video is tits!
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    Damn that video is amazing. Spawn is awesome.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I actually think DTE is one of their worst songs. Every time I see them they play it and I cringe when I hear those opening riffs.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    yeah me too ....just a bit ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    This video is so good. I think Todd McFarlane knocked it right out of the park and was able to convey the message the band intended with the song.
    Brian
  • Options
    DTE was the song for me in 2006. This defined my tour experiences, because with each show came another chance to get down and shimmy until i couldnt shimmy any longer!

If you're anywhere in the world and you hear that opening riff by Stoney, you know it's time to boogie :)
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."