Options

Rediscovering Binaural!

2»

Comments

• Options
    i like binaural. i like all their albums to be honest. i think the band would really have to try to make a record that i DIDN'T like.

but the year binaural came out would be my favorite time frame in terms of the life of the band. the 2000 tour was my favorite. everything was great.

my favorite still has to be yield though. :)
    Camden 7-5-2003, Camden 7-6-2003, Hershey 7-12-2003, Camden 5-27-2006, Camden 5-28-2006, Lollapalooza 8-5-2007, Camden 6-19-2008, Camden 6-20-2008, New York 6-24-2008, New York 6-25-2008, Mansfield 6-28-2008, Mansfield 6-30-2008
  • Options
    Binaural is easily my favourite album. Most of the songs are PJ masterpieces. Light Years, Insignificance, Of The Girl, Grievance, Sleight of Hand and Parting Ways are some of the best songs the band has ever produced, imo.

I've never heard the alternate Insignificance that was a b-side to a single. Does anyone have the mp3??
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    I've loved this album since it came out. It's definitely one of those albums were every track is a gem.
    Dallas '98 - Dallas '00 - OKC '03 - Dallas '03

www.myspace.com/lance_gray

www.bonafidedarling.com
  • Options
    Hatfield wrote:
    Tchad Blake produced it. Brendan mixed some songs at the last minute becasue they were unhappy with it. Stone has spoken about his disapointment with the sound and it is known that Mike was very upset with the recording process.

that makes perfect sense. you can tell the difference.
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    Dirty Hank wrote:
    Isn't it funny how you can hate one album at one point and then love it later?! I used to not really care for Binaural and now I feel that's it's one of their greater works. The creativity, darker sound, and cool recording method really makes this a great listen lately. Anyone out there feel me? :)

love it love it!
    danny d
  • Options
    Binaural is easily my favourite album. Most of the songs are PJ masterpieces. Light Years, Insignificance, Of The Girl, Grievance, Sleight of Hand and Parting Ways are some of the best songs the band has ever produced, imo.

I've never heard the alternate Insignificance that was a b-side to a single. Does anyone have the mp3??

just pm'd you
    "A compiment for US...is a compliment for YOU." - Eddie Vedder of Citizen Dick
  • Options
    Jesus, I can't even remember the last time I posted!! This post just always sucks me in. I must say that bineural has now even surpassed my love of Yield and is now officially my fav pj album. I just don't know what it is about it. I think it is the songwritting. Now these songs don't just hand it to ya. I'm not saying that there isn't mystery and intrigue in other Pearl Jam albums, but I just think Bineural is something special. with a song like Of the girl, or Rival or nothing as it seems, you, or at least I, get these great pictures in my head while listening. I think some of Eddie's best songwritting is on this album, Grievence, Parting ways, and also Stone with thin air and Jeff with nothing as it seems. They lyrics are more giving you a feeling and a point of view as apposed to telling you a story. I think if they made any mistake, it was not chosing something like Breakerfall as the first single. Personally I think the band made a specific decision, almost like a test, lets put MAIS out there and see if the fans are with us. I mean " theres a girl on the ledge that's go no where to turn, cuz all the love that she had was just wood that she burned" such a great first line!!! I think that the Bineural issue, is one of the only things that really devide Pearl Jam fans, kind of a love or hate thing. I mean you just don't hear these discussions about Yield or Vs. I think that after no code everything changed. and if you took Yield and Riot act and mashed them together, you would infact get Bineural! So it does deserve its place in Pearl Jam history. Listening to Pearl Jam truly is my greatest joy, and I love all there albums, but I am surprised that bineural is the album that gets picked on the most and not Riot act, which is currently sitting at the bottom of my list.
    all those paper plates......
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    chikevin wrote:
    don't believe me? how often after the binaural tour have they actually played something off the album. even the band accepts it's not their best work.

blah blah blah is right.

there has been plenty of Binaural material played after that specific tour...

using your reasoning the band obviously hates No Code.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    been my fav album for about 8 years now!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    My fav. album! So dark, so light, so unique, so original, so beautiful, nothing compares!
  • Options
    chikevin wrote:
    blah blah blah.

we can try to justify it as much as we want to (i'm a fan of rival, slight of hand, of the girl), but no matter how much we try to mask it...not only are the first few tracks nearly unlistenable, but if you want to hold it up to a PJ standard...it just doesn't work.

don't believe me? how often after the binaural tour have they actually played something off the album. even the band accepts it's not their best work.

i'm all about pushing PJ and trying to enlighten people, but if you do it with this album, wow....you've got problems.

Binaural, as an album, beats the shit out of the earlier stuff, as albums. Sure their are 'great songs' from the earlier records that touch me more than any individual song from Binaural, but as an album this one takes the early records to the cleaners in terms of mood, atmosphere and uniqueness! Blah blah blah yourself! ;)

P.S Grievance is in the top 5 best songs Pearl jam has ever done...IMHO
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    eddieved24 wrote:
    Jesus, I can't even remember the last time I posted!! This post just always sucks me in. I must say that bineural has now even surpassed my love of Yield and is now officially my fav pj album. I just don't know what it is about it. I think it is the songwritting. Now these songs don't just hand it to ya. I'm not saying that there isn't mystery and intrigue in other Pearl Jam albums, but I just think Bineural is something special. with a song like Of the girl, or Rival or nothing as it seems, you, or at least I, get these great pictures in my head while listening. I think some of Eddie's best songwritting is on this album, Grievence, Parting ways, and also Stone with thin air and Jeff with nothing as it seems. They lyrics are more giving you a feeling and a point of view as apposed to telling you a story. I think if they made any mistake, it was not chosing something like Breakerfall as the first single. Personally I think the band made a specific decision, almost like a test, lets put MAIS out there and see if the fans are with us. I mean " theres a girl on the ledge that's go no where to turn, cuz all the love that she had was just wood that she burned" such a great first line!!! I think that the Bineural issue, is one of the only things that really devide Pearl Jam fans, kind of a love or hate thing. I mean you just don't hear these discussions about Yield or Vs. I think that after no code everything changed. and if you took Yield and Riot act and mashed them together, you would infact get Bineural! So it does deserve its place in Pearl Jam history. Listening to Pearl Jam truly is my greatest joy, and I love all there albums, but I am surprised that bineural is the album that gets picked on the most and not Riot act, which is currently sitting at the bottom of my list.

I so agree. But to me Binaural is like Yield's big brother. It is wiser, more complex and unique.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Anyone have any interviews where the band express their unhappiness with the recording process.....???

Would be cool to read if you could post a link.....

I still think its a beautifully flawed record, it reminds me of No Code in terms of song variety and experimentation.....must be the whole having a new drummer thing.......
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    Try as I might, I can't work up the love for Binaural. I even nicked my pit name from the opening track, which I loved from the moment I heard it. As for the rest of the album (save God's Dice, Light Years, Thin Air and the dog snorting) I like it, but I just can't get into it. I even shelled out some big bucks for the vinyl figuring that I just had to "spin the black circle" to get the full effect of it. Didn't work. Give me Riot Act any day of the week.

I will now dodge bullets.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • Options
    Binaural is pretty much my alltime favorite PJ album. :)

No Code is a close second.
  • Options
    Hatfield wrote:
    Would you say the guitars and specifically Mike sound better on Binaural than Avocoado? Mike is clean and cold on the former and ferociously beefed up on say, Life Wasted. I understand that appreciating music is subjective. Do you really think Grievance sounds the way it should?

I'd prefer both albums to sound heavier, but I think the production on Binaural is much richer and more layered. I like Mike but don't love soloing like many people here, so yeah, turn him down a little a la Binaural or Vitalogy. I don't think Stone gets enough credit. People are always blaming him for stuff (even if it IS his fault) whilst hailing Mike a God.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    I love Binaural. I think it makes a really cool unofficial trilogy with NC and Yield. I don't understand all the hate for NAIS, though. Along with Light Years, it's one of PJ's best songs ever. To each his own I guess. It's such a shame that Riot Act did such a poor job of following up this gem.
    Imagine if Fatal and Sad were included!
  • Options
    Binaural was the album that originally made me quit listening to PJ. I was still young and angry, I was still pissed at everything and I wanted Eddie to be as well. I was a huge fan as well, pretty much all I listened to was PJ. I never gave the album a chance and went another way musically. After Avacado was released I decided to give PJ another chance, since all I had heard on the radio was "last kiss" and that definetly didnt bring me back. I loved the harder sound of Avacado, and fell back in love with the band. I had never listened to a single track on Riot Act and only Binaural a few times. So when I got back into it I had tons of new studio stuff to listen to, when Avacado was released, I also got Riot Act, Binaural, Lost Dogs and Benny too, It was like a huge studio release for me, 5 albums of stuff I had never heard before, aside from the expected on Lost Dogs......

Now I think Binaural is my fave......blah, blah, blah...back to work.