Options

Rediscovering Binaural!

Dirty HankDirty Hank Posts: 15
edited January 2008 in The Porch
Isn't it funny how you can hate one album at one point and then love it later?! I used to not really care for Binaural and now I feel that's it's one of their greater works. The creativity, darker sound, and cool recording method really makes this a great listen lately. Anyone out there feel me? :)
"A compiment for US...is a compliment for YOU." - Eddie Vedder of Citizen Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I have always enjoyed Binaural, but I find myself drifting in and out of certain records. Right now, I'm feeling No Code, Binaural, and Ten the most.

Binaural was always an enjoyable listen for me. I love how rough Breakerfall and Gods' Dice sound. Thin Air makes me feel all fuzzy inside. Light Years is just a gem - makes me think of Crowded House/Neil Finn every time I hear it. Evacuation makes me wish I was better at math.
    - Justin

You think the Slayer tour is out, or what?

"Finally! I get to save the earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows." -- Al Gore.
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    i feel you mass. binaural rules the world
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    i listened to Binaural with headphones for the first time ever yesterday.

It wasn't the transcendent experience i was hoping for... oh well.
  • Options
    MohabMohab Posts: 310
    Definately my favourite Pearl Jam album, Insignificance the b side off the first single was a cool song, better than the album version. Of the Girl, rival, sleight, even evacuation had a awesome middle part that was pure. It has a pilate caliber soft sport for me.

From all those live discs, Gossard sounded like he was on a plateau. Some of the more basic stuff like dissident sounded as good if not better than ever to me. They had something there i always thought, I have yet to take to any concert series on disc from them since, The avocado tour id be buying off the shelves if they were on disc in stores. Thats why i still collect the binaural stuff.
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    binaural was the best rock and roll album released during 2000.
    maybe my favorite pj
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    I feel you Dirty Hank. When it first came out I didn't hate it, but I was disappointed. I really liked a few songs, but I was expecting another Yield, and it wasn't that to me. But over time it grew on me, and now I love it. Thin Air is the only track I'm still not fond of, but when it first came out I damn near hated Evacuation, and wasn't fond of Grievance or Sleight Of Hand. Now I love all 3 of them.
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    MrSmith wrote:
    i listened to Binaural with headphones for the first time ever yesterday.

It wasn't the transcendent experience i was hoping for... oh well.

aahhh totally disagree. there is nothing like sitting down on a dark rainy night or in the back of a car on a highway at night with only street lights flashing by, listening to binaural right through on your headphones.

sleight of hand is in the top 2 best PJ songs ever. it is great live, but they could never match the studio version. that truly is a gem. there is just something in that song that takes you to another world. absolutely brilliant. the album is sooo atmospheric. sleight of hand, nothing as it seems, parting ways, and of the girl are so special. the way they are recorded is just absolutely amazing.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    I agree, I think it's great in headphones. I was reading about the Binaural Technique on Wikipedia, and they say you can produce the effect using any set of headphones, but you get the most effect using high end sets, and the best way is to buy the headphones that were made specifically for reproducing the Binaural effect.
  • Options
    chikevinchikevin Posts: 421
    blah blah blah.

we can try to justify it as much as we want to (i'm a fan of rival, slight of hand, of the girl), but no matter how much we try to mask it...not only are the first few tracks nearly unlistenable, but if you want to hold it up to a PJ standard...it just doesn't work.

don't believe me? how often after the binaural tour have they actually played something off the album. even the band accepts it's not their best work.

i'm all about pushing PJ and trying to enlighten people, but if you do it with this album, wow....you've got problems.
  • Options
    chikevin wrote:
    blah blah blah.

we can try to justify it as much as we want to (i'm a fan of rival, slight of hand, of the girl), but no matter how much we try to mask it...not only are the first few tracks nearly unlistenable, but if you want to hold it up to a PJ standard...it just doesn't work.

don't believe me? how often after the binaural tour have they actually played something off the album. even the band accepts it's not their best work.

i'm all about pushing PJ and trying to enlighten people, but if you do it with this album, wow....you've got problems.

as you astarted off "blah blah blah"

this is my favorite pj album, and i'm not pushing for anything. you may disagree that this album is a masterpiece, that's music mate - subjectivity rules. i just need to add that as far as i'm concerned binaural kicks yield in the fucking balls.

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    glasshouse wrote:
    as you astarted off "blah blah blah"

this is my favorite pj album, and i'm not pushing for anything. you may disagree that this album is a masterpiece, that's music mate - subjectivity rules. i just need to add that as far as i'm concerned binaural kicks yield in the fucking balls.
    your favorite?
    well, we all like what/who we like.
    if this is what works for you...that's a good thing.
  • Options
    chikevin wrote:
    your favorite?

most definitely

breakerfall
    nothing as it seems
    insignifficance
    grievance
    rival
    of the girl
    sleight of hand
    parting ways

are some of the best songs this band have conceived imo.

• Options
    glasshouse wrote:
    most definitely

breakerfall
    nothing as it seems
    insignifficance
    grievance
    rival
    of the girl
    sleight of hand
    parting ways

are some of the best songs this band have conceived imo.
    grievance is easily a top 10 all time.
    i'll give you that.
  • Options
    chikevin wrote:
    grievance is easily a top 10 all time.

fuck i love that song :D

• Options
    xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    Everybody seems to love Sleight of Hand...but it fucking BORES me.

But Grievance, Rival, Thin Air, Nothing as it Seems, Grievance, Light Years, and GRIEVANCE...I love.
  • Options
    xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    BTW, I keep browsing thread titles here and read this one and think to myself, "Who the fuck is Red, and why is he covering Binaural?" Just sayin'...
  • Options
    xkevvx wrote:
    "Who the fuck is Red, and why is he covering Binaural?" Just sayin'...

l o l

• Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    I like the fact its slightly flawed.....

Sleight of Hand is a masterpiece.....Of The Girl is simply beautiful and Breakerfalll is a cracking opener.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Dirty Hank wrote:
    Isn't it funny how you can hate one album at one point and then love it later?! I used to not really care for Binaural and now I feel that's it's one of their greater works. The creativity, darker sound, and cool recording method really makes this a great listen lately. Anyone out there feel me? :)

i had this same revelation about 3 months ago.

my hate grew to love.
  • Options
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 151
    grievance, light years, parting ways fuckin awsome sngs

binaural better than yield
    11.09.05 Kitchener
    22.11.05 Santiago
    23.11.05 Santiago
    11.06.08 West Palm Beach
  • Options
    Dirty Hank wrote:

This happened for me shortly after Reading Festival last year. When I first bought Binaural, I was horrified that it was by my favourite band.... but now it's a favourite.... as is Riot Act.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Binaural is great!
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    good songs on here, but nothing as it seems just sucks monkey balls. It was my first taste of Binaural and its always tainted my view of the album.

Parting Ways is superfantastic though.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    MrSmith wrote:
    good songs on here, but nothing as it seems just sucks monkey balls. It was my first taste of Binaural and its always tainted my view of the album.

Parting Ways is superfantastic though.

I agree with this. NAIS was so boring and such a turnoff that I didn't buy Binaural until probably two years after it came out.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    HatfieldHatfield Posts: 122
    I've gone through times where I really enjoyed Binaural. God's Dice is one of my favorite up tempo rockers and we got it at the Gorge last year!

I hate how the production, not the Binaural effect, just the choice of sound takes the punch out of some of these songs. You record Greivance the way they recorded Vs. then you have a great representation of that song. The drums sound a little flat throughout the album and Mike is off in the distance (even through headphones) on a blistering solo during Breakerfall. I do like the collection of songs and some of the sound choices really work, like on Rival or Of the Girl but Breakerfall and Greivance could have killed.
    '96 - 10/5
    '98 - 9/1 9/4 9/18
    '00 - 8/6 8/7 8/15 8/17 9/5
    '03 - 4/9 4/15 4/19 7/11 7/12
    '04 - 10/6 10/8
    '05 - 9/11 9/12 9/13 9/15
    '06 - 5/27 5/28 7/7 7/13 7/18 7/22 7/23
  • Options
    Hatfield wrote:
    I've gone through times where I really enjoyed Binaural. God's Dice is one of my favorite up tempo rockers and we got it at the Gorge last year!

I hate how the production, not the Binaural effect, just the choice of sound takes the punch out of some of these songs. You record Greivance the way they recorded Vs. then you have a great representation of that song. The drums sound a little flat throughout the album and Mike is off in the distance (even through headphones) on a blistering solo during Breakerfall. I do like the collection of songs and some of the sound choices really work, like on Rival or Of the Girl but Breakerfall and Greivance could have killed.

Funny, I'd say exactly the same thing about Avocado.... Weak production.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283

Once again, spot on.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options

Would you say the guitars and specifically Mike sound better on Binaural than Avocoado? Mike is clean and cold on the former and ferociously beefed up on say, Life Wasted. I understand that appreciating music is subjective. Do you really think Grievance sounds the way it should?
    '96 - 10/5
    '98 - 9/1 9/4 9/18
    '04 - 10/6 10/8
  • Options
    wasn't this the last album Brendan O'brien produced? They seemed to have changed their philosophy on production values over the last three albums, which i think sucks. Binaural still has a little rawness to it, at least compared to RA and Avacado, but its pretty subdued. Grievance deserves better.

A lot of their new songs are great, but you wouldn't know it from listening to the album cuts.
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    wasn't this the last album Brendan O'brien produced? They seemed to have changed their philosophy on production values over the last three albums, which i think sucks. Binaural still has a little rawness to it, at least compared to RA and Avacado, but its pretty subdued. Grievance deserves better.

A lot of their new songs are great, but you wouldn't know it from listening to the album cuts.

Tchad Blake produced it. Brendan mixed some songs at the last minute becasue they were unhappy with it. Stone has spoken about his disapointment with the sound and it is known that Mike was very upset with the recording process.
    '96 - 10/5
    '98 - 9/1 9/4 9/18
    '04 - 10/6 10/8